For serious swimming nerds

eaglewatchers

Avid lap swimmer here. Have been on VO before and used the "main" pool for exercise early in the morning (before many are awake). But I have never been able to figure out exactly how LONG the pool is from end wall to end wall (NOT including the sitting deck that gets covered with water). I just swam for a certain amount of time. Would love to know if anyone has actually measured the length. I asked the crew, but no one knew. If I find out, I can enter it in my Apple Watch 🙂. Yes, I am nerdy/obsessive, but the exercise helps with all the great food on board!

BTW, swimming while the ship is "rolling" is fun... a little wave action adds to the entertainment. Some mornings, such as in the Tasman Sea, they closed it, though 😞

1 minute ago, eaglewatchers said:

Avid lap swimmer here. Have been on VO before and used the "main" pool for exercise early in the morning (before many are awake). But I have never been able to figure out exactly how LONG the pool is from end wall to end wall (NOT including the sitting deck that gets covered with water). I just swam for a certain amount of time. Would love to know if anyone has actually measured the length. I asked the crew, but no one knew. If I find out, I can enter it in my Apple Watch 🙂. Yes, I am nerdy/obsessive, but the exercise helps with all the great food on board!

BTW, swimming while the ship is "rolling" is fun... a little wave action adds to the entertainment. Some mornings, such as in the Tasman Sea, they closed it, though 😞

According to Viking:

Main pool: 26.2’ X 13.2’, depth 4.6’

Infinity pool: 19.2’ X 13.7’, depth 4.8’

For me I get about 4 strokes per length of the pool!  If you want to do 500 yds you have to do 57 lengths of the pool!  

Has anyone ever tried using the Pool in the spa as an “endless” pool?  Given how hard it is for some folks to make it to the bench when the bubbles are on, I’ve always wondered if it could be used for exercise for those who wish to do such a thing on a cruise 🤮😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Has anyone ever tried using the Pool in the spa as an “endless” pool?  Given how hard it is for some folks to make it to the bench when the bubbles are on, I’ve always wondered if it could be used for exercise for those who wish to do such a thing on a cruise 🤮😂😂😂

Tried it once when nobody else was in the pool and it worked OK.

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just treading water in that spa pool is a workout.  However I prefer to use the jets to massage my lower back or calf muscles from walking.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

DH likes to bring a swimming tether with him on trips. You attach it to something and swim in place. Trying to remember if he did this on our cruise …

Great idea!

I'm a swimmer and yes, I've tried doing the spa pool when the jets are on.   For me, although you could feel the water against you, it was still too easy and didn't really help.   A tether would be good for sure.  Speaking of being in waves in the pool, we often sat/floated in the spa pool when we were on our S.America cruise when the waves were huge!  In fact, did it rounding Cape Horn.  It was quite the experience as the rolling caused some pretty good waves that often went over the pool edge.  It was at least a 'D' ride (for those who knew Disneyland in the old days) .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Great idea!

I'm a swimmer and yes, I've tried doing the spa pool when the jets are on.   For me, although you could feel the water against you, it was still too easy and didn't really help.   A tether would be good for sure.  Speaking of being in waves in the pool, we often sat/floated in the spa pool when we were on our S.America cruise when the waves were huge!  In fact, did it rounding Cape Horn.  It was quite the experience as the rolling caused some pretty good waves that often went over the pool edge.  It was at least a 'D' ride (for those who knew Disneyland in the old days) .

Why weren't you up on deck or in the Explorer's lounge?  Are you not close enough to land to appreciate the landscape when rounding Cape Horn?

1 hour ago, deec said:

Why weren't you up on deck or in the Explorer's lounge?  Are you not close enough to land to appreciate the landscape when rounding Cape Horn?

Dee - we spent most of the day on deck and the Explorer's lounge!  It was unbelievable!   We just took a break of an hour in the morning.  I actually wanted to see the big waves in the pool!

I sure hope, Dee, that you get to experience this amazing cruise this winter!

1428413965_CapeHornMap-VikingJupitertrack.JPG.b51b91e4238096e93ad183cefc67e05c.JPG846795775_IMG_3570CapeHorn.JPG.0212954e57533cb2f1e8d0c02e9a5976.JPG1513827515_IMG_3574CapeHorn.JPG.799de32f54cda1eede83190fb717fa98.JPG39979435_IMG_3582CapeHorn.JPG.d5bd0574a7a5935b7cbabf339e55f04e.JPG1480751493_IMG_3594CapeHorn.JPG.5d08b0d019c94b7a5fa5757dcb976602.JPG2137877543_IMG_3595CapeHornfromroom.JPG.6c785cdc0423b0a2edbcb6bfdbd2e932.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Dee - we spent most of the day on deck and the Explorer's lounge!  It was unbelievable!   We just took a break of an hour in the morning.  I actually wanted to see the big waves in the pool!

1428413965_CapeHornMap-VikingJupitertrack.JPG.b51b91e4238096e93ad183cefc67e05c.JPG846795775_IMG_3570CapeHorn.JPG.0212954e57533cb2f1e8d0c02e9a5976.JPG1513827515_IMG_3574CapeHorn.JPG.799de32f54cda1eede83190fb717fa98.JPG39979435_IMG_3582CapeHorn.JPG.d5bd0574a7a5935b7cbabf339e55f04e.JPG1480751493_IMG_3594CapeHorn.JPG.5d08b0d019c94b7a5fa5757dcb976602.JPG2137877543_IMG_3595CapeHornfromroom.JPG.6c785cdc0423b0a2edbcb6bfdbd2e932.JPG

Amazing the different conditions one can face. The ocean was like glass when we were at the Horn….but a few days later when we left Beagle Channel and were entering the Pacific it was an E ride if your photos are a D. 

Our drawers and closet doors opened and closed all night (well until we got smart enough to use some of the duct tape we had brought along) and at one point I had to grab Mike to keep him from rolling out of bed.   LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Fantastic pictures, thanks for posting them - I envy you the clear weather, even with the lumps! (Our one try at the Horn failed - a small matter of 75 knots and 45 foot seas. Best line was from the First Officer - "the ship would be fine, the pax not so much").  Perhaps in the future ... 🍺🥌

ken and clay,  thanks for your experiences...I will opt for Clay's glass-like  sea state.  We had very rough weather crossing the  Bay  of  Biscay.  The dividers on our balcony were opening and banging...our balcony glass shattered ( the one outside not into our room)  and our friends had water sloshing into the cabin...we were on deck 3 forward!  Viking crew fixed everything VERY quickly!!!  We missed Porto!

18011047_10207149009477772_6259568673640052533_n.jpg

• Like 4