Q re Covid test between S2S cruises

Sn0cruiser

First time posting so hope I’m doing this correctly!

My husband and I are probably taking the Nov Enchanted inaugural cruise followed directly by a Sky cruise starting Nov 20.  The Sky is coming from Europe so, even without considering Covid, the boarding process will most likely be delayed due to coast guard inspection.  We thought of taking a post cruise excursion after the Enchanted cruise to kill time but we’re not sure how that will work with Covid testing.  We will need a test prior to boarding the Sky.

Has anyone taken a post cruise excursion after a recent Alaska cruise (or other US Princess cruise - not sure if there are any LA cruises yet) ?  And if so, how did the Covid test work (either for post cruise airline requirements or subsequent cruise) ?

Thanks !

On 9/13/2021 at 5:19 PM, Sn0cruiser said:

First time posting so hope I’m doing this correctly!

My husband and I are probably taking the Nov Enchanted inaugural cruise followed directly by a Sky cruise starting Nov 20.  The Sky is coming from Europe so, even without considering Covid, the boarding process will most likely be delayed due to coast guard inspection.  We thought of taking a post cruise excursion after the Enchanted cruise to kill time but we’re not sure how that will work with Covid testing.  We will need a test prior to boarding the Sky.

Has anyone taken a post cruise excursion after a recent Alaska cruise (or other US Princess cruise - not sure if there are any LA cruises yet) ?  And if so, how did the Covid test work (either for post cruise airline requirements or subsequent cruise) ?

Thanks !

How long are you between cruises?

Princess website, health protocols, then see Q & A regarding b2b.  That is One iof my questions also.  

Move to new cruise same day.  Enchanted inaugural ends Nov 20, Sky cruise starts Nov 20.  The FAQ doesn’t mention b2b but on different ships.  On leaving the Sky at the end of that cruise and in the middle (it”s really 2 7 day cruises) we can get testing for including PCR for our flight back to Canada.  I’m hoping that we can follow the same process between ships but hope just doesn’t seem enough right now.

8 minutes ago, Sn0cruiser said:

Move to new cruise same day.  Enchanted inaugural ends Nov 20, Sky cruise starts Nov 20.  The FAQ doesn’t mention b2b but on different ships.  On leaving the Sky at the end of that cruise and in the middle (it”s really 2 7 day cruises) we can get testing for including PCR for our flight back to Canada.  I’m hoping that we can follow the same process between ships but hope just doesn’t seem enough right now.

Yes, it’s not clear on changing ships, but that’s what we are doing also.

So, we are going to buy the

BinaxNOW ag card that is proctored, in case we need to do this a couple of days before arrival 

in FLL.  We will check with medical first.

If you’re in the same ship, hopefully they will do it onboard.  If you are changing ships, we hope they will do it in the terminal.  We are doing both scenarios.

Lots of hopes!  

Will I be able to book multiple cruises, back-to-back?

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage, receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test, and will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

We will closely monitor all guidance and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

FYI, there is a difference, a B2B (back to back) where you stay on the same ship.  When you move to another ship it is considered a side to side (S2S) and has very different “rules” as you are completing one cruise and starting a new one.

On the S2S you will receive a new medallion and a new ship account where on a B2B it is basically a continuation of the cruise. 
It does sound like a great adventure though. Enjoy!

18 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

FYI, there is a difference, a B2B (back to back) where you stay on the same ship.  When you move to another ship it is considered a side to side (S2S) and has very different “rules” as you are completing one cruise and starting a new one.

On the S2S you will receive a new medallion and a new ship account where on a B2B it is basically a continuation of the cruise. 
It does sound like a great adventure though. Enjoy!

Thank you!  Never knew it was called a S2S!  What’s it called if you do a S2S

two days later?  😳

• Host CJSKIDS changed the title to Q re Covid test between S2S cruises
15 minutes ago, Sn0cruiser said:

Thank you SLC1954 - I changed the title of this thread to clarify the question. 

That is so funny!  I bet a lot of cruisers will click on it to see what it is.  I always just called them b2b.  Maybe it should be called s2s and b2b cruises?  We are doing b2b2b and a s2s and a b2b.

😂 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  I contacted Princess customer relations and they finally responded today that we would not be able to get testing in between our two Princess cruises.  Told us to order the self test with medical support which of course doesn’t work for us in Canada since those can’t be shipped here.  

I thought of booking at the FLL airport test site.  So I contacted them to see if you needed a boarding pass for the appointment day to get the test and the answer was you don’t need it for the testing site but you do need it to enter the airport.  Asking the question multiple ways could not get an answer to whether or not you needed to enter the airport (therefore needing a boarding pass) to get to the test site.

So, before we panic and cancel that first cruise…

1). Has any non-US traveller found a way to order the Princess offered self test and have them waiting for you in Fort Lauderdale (at hotel, on ship) ?
2). Did you have to show something like your boarding pass to prove you qualified for a disembarkation test ?  
3). Is there somewhere close to the cruise port where we can book an appointment for a rapid antigen test that is appropriate for travel ?  I’ve searched but it’s not clear if you get a travel appropriate certificate with the sites I’ve found.

4). Does anyone know if you can enter the Fort Lauderdale airport testing area without a boarding pass ?  Perhaps with a cruise boarding pass for that day ?

2 hours ago, Sn0cruiser said:

UPDATE:  I contacted Princess customer relations and they finally responded today that we would not be able to get testing in between our two Princess cruises.  Told us to order the self test with medical support which of course doesn’t work for us in Canada since those can’t be shipped here.  

I thought of booking at the FLL airport test site.  So I contacted them to see if you needed a boarding pass for the appointment day to get the test and the answer was you don’t need it for the testing site but you do need it to enter the airport.  Asking the question multiple ways could not get an answer to whether or not you needed to enter the airport (therefore needing a boarding pass) to get to the test site.

1). Has any non-US traveller found a way to order the Princess offered self test and have them waiting for you in Fort Lauderdale (at hotel, on ship) ?
2). Did you have to show something like your boarding pass to prove you qualified for a disembarkation test ?  
3). Is there somewhere close to the cruise port where we can book an appointment for a rapid antigen test that is appropriate for travel ?  I’ve searched but it’s not clear if you get a travel appropriate certificate with the sites I’ve found.

4). Does anyone know if you can enter the Fort Lauderdale airport testing area without a boarding pass ?  Perhaps with a cruise boarding pass for that day ?

First of all, on PCL website it says you can do b2b and get tested at the pier between cruises.  So, the website is not updated or CS did not know the right answer?  Scary, I have 5  b2b’s coming up.  I may have to cancel, but anyway

I’ll see if I can help you.

Ft Lauderdale airport shows that the testing is pre security.  You have to show that you are traveling, doesn’t have to be that day.  You just have to have proof of travel, like a confirmation from an airline.

To return to Canada, do have to have a PCR test or is rapid antigen okay?

You can make an appointment for the test online or call for help.

I would call Nomi Health and ask if you can show your proof of travel even a week or so later?  
Heres the link:

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

Their phone number is at the bottom.

If you called Nomi health, they didn’t know where the location is.  It’s outside of the security, so you DO NOT have to have a boarding pass.  ONLY if tou go through security.  So thats an option.

You could have Optum mail the tests to your hotel to arrive a day ahead of you. Call the hotel and ask if they could accept and hold a small package for you?

Last option and what I’m going to try to do.

If you have a travel Agent call them and if you booked with Princess call them…

tell them the problem with b2b aninsist they book your b2b as one cruise, so you don’t have to retest in between if possible.

Example:  If you have two 7 night cruises and it can be booked as a 14 night, or two 10 night cruises, if it can be booked as a 20 night etc.  Then, they should rebook it as one cruise.  This will be so stressful to run around trying to get tested.  You can see on the website

if they sell it as one cruise.

Do you know anyone in the US who could order the BinaxNOW ag card that is proctored, who could order it for you?

Perhaps someone on your roll call?

What ship, sailing date?  If they could give it to you OB, then you could skip the trip to the airport in between.

Hope I helped a little?

Tonna

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

First of all, on PCL website it says you can do b2b and get tested at the pier between cruises.  So, the website is not updated or CS did not know the right answer?  Scary, I have 5  b2b’s coming up.  I may have to cancel, but anyway

I’ll see if I can help you.

Ft Lauderdale airport shows that the testing is pre security.  You have to show that you are traveling, doesn’t have to be that day.  You just have to have proof of travel, like a confirmation from an airline.

To return to Canada, do have to have a PCR test or is rapid antigen okay?

You can make an appointment for the test online or call for help.

I would call Nomi Health and ask if you can show your proof of travel even a week or so later?  
Heres the link:

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

Their phone number is at the bottom.

If you called Nomi health, they didn’t know where the location is.  It’s outside of the security, so you DO NOT have to have a boarding pass.  ONLY if tou go through security.  So thats an option.

You could have Optum mail the tests to your hotel to arrive a day ahead of you. Call the hotel and ask if they could accept and hold a small package for you?

Last option and what I’m going to try to do.

If you have a travel Agent call them and if you booked with Princess call them…

tell them the problem with b2b aninsist they book your b2b as one cruise, so you don’t have to retest in between if possible.

Example:  If you have two 7 night cruises and it can be booked as a 14 night, or two 10 night cruises, if it can be booked as a 20 night etc.  Then, they should rebook it as one cruise.  This will be so stressful to run around trying to get tested.  You can see on the website

if they sell it as one cruise.

Do you know anyone in the US who could order the BinaxNOW ag card that is proctored, who could order it for you?

Perhaps someone on your roll call?

What ship, sailing date?  If they could give it to you OB, then you could skip the trip to the airport in between.

Hope I helped a little?

Tonna

Heres the airport location for testing Ft Lauderdale, that would be my last resort,

if I couldn’t get my cruises combined into 1 cruise or get the proctored antigen test to do in my cabin the day before on the ship.

Tonna

3 hours ago, Sn0cruiser said:

Here I am again…

I just pulled up the health protocols on the princess website…

Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests, subject to availability.

Guests on back-to-back voyages will need to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage, receive a complimentary viral COVID-19 test, and will be permitted to board the ship again once they receive a negative test result.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

We will closely monitor all guidance and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

unquote

So did the CS agent not know these rules?

Please let us know what you find out. A lot of us will be affected.

Thanks, Tonna 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Here I am again…

I just pulled up the health protocols on the princess website…

unquote

So did the CS agent not know these rules?

Please let us know what you find out. A lot of us will be affected.

Thanks, Tonna 

Are you on a b2b or a s2s?  I just realized you may be on a s2s, two different ships?

If so, scrap the idea of combining into 1 cruise, that wouldn’t work of course.

Check your roll call for your first cruise

and see if someone could get the ag card for you. 

Just to clarify - we are moving between ships - so S2S.

We plan to check with the hotel but I didn’t think of the roll call though - thanks for that idea !

I’ve also sent another email to customer relations (cc’d Jan Schwartz - not sure if that will help or not) about options such as delivery to ship etc.

18 minutes ago, Sn0cruiser said:

We plan to check with the hotel but I didn’t think of the roll call though - thanks for that idea !

I’ve also sent another email to customer relations (cc’d Jan Schwartz - not sure if that will help or not) about options such as delivery to ship etc.

I am going to check when OB with medical to see if they will do the rapid test the day before we get off.  

If they say no, then I’ll do my proctored 

Antigen ag card test OB the day before

disembark.  Hopefully, we can get through to emed while OB. 

We are also doing a S2S in Florida in November, and are also from Canada (so the Binax self test idea does not work for us).  We are doing Carnival out of Miami first then switching to Princess out of Port Everglades same day.  I am still looking for options but plan to call Nomi closer to our departure window to see if we can schedule an antigen test at the Miami airport location on our changeover day.  Not sure if it will work, but we shall see what we can set up when we get a couple weeks closer to departure.  Failing that, I will look for other options in the Miami or Fort Lauderdale areas.

Don

20 hours ago, Sn0cruiser said:

You could try CVS or Walgreens, looks like a few of each are within a reasonable distance to the port. They both do rapid tests with results between 30 minutes and a few hours. They both allow scheduling on-line.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sn0cruiser said:

I hope you spelled her name correctly when you emailed her as (1) she wouldn't get the email, and (2) she might be happier seeing her correct name.  JSwartz@PrincessCruises.com.

I checked the Covid rapid tests offered by CVS and Walgreens and they do not seem to be proctored which means they would not be accepted.  

Also, the rapid testing sites close to the port I could find did not specify a travel acceptable certificate would be issued which is what we need. - that’s not to say they do not produce them just the site does not specify.

On the good news side, between finding testing and the fact the new Sky TA itinerary has them arriving two days before our cruise leaves, we no longer to worry about killing time !

We contacted our pre-cruise hotel and they will hold a package for a guest !  We’re going to try sending the self-test kit there.  

Though we will still try to find a backup plan in case that doesn’t work or doesn’t arrive in time.

7 hours ago, Sn0cruiser said:

I checked the Covid rapid tests offered by CVS and Walgreens and they do not seem to be proctored which means they would not be accepted.  

Also, the rapid testing sites close to the port I could find did not specify a travel acceptable certificate would be issued which is what we need. - that’s not to say they do not produce them just the site does not specify.

I had a CVS done a few weeks ago and it was sufficient for flying to Europe. It was proctored, we had to go into the store and someone administered it in there and then the results were emailed and also on the CVS app. Not sure why that wouldn't be good enough.

3 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

I had a CVS done a few weeks ago and it was sufficient for flying to Europe. It was proctored, we had to go into the store and someone administered it in there and then the results were emailed and also on the CVS app. Not sure why that wouldn't be good enough.

The covid rapid antigen test that you got at CVS is fine for Princess.  As long as they administer the test. They do send an email with the results. 
However, are you local?  I’ve been checking Cvs and Walgreens for testing when we come to FL and they look like all drive through

testing?  We won’t have a car, so tjis won’t help us if we can’t go inside.

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

The covid rapid antigen test that you got at CVS is fine for Princess.  As long as they administer the test. They do send an email with the results. 
However, are you local?  I’ve been checking Cvs and Walgreens for testing when we come to FL and they look like all drive through

testing?  We won’t have a car, so tjis won’t help us if we can’t go inside.

Cvs Minute Clinic has an agreement with NCL to test their passengers the day if the cruise for free. I wish Princess had such an arrangement.  Looks like our only option may be the BinaxNOW ag card that is proctored?  Its going to get expensive for s2s cruises and extra tests in case of error or empty ones.

Does anyone from Florida know if there is a place we can book an appointment for a walk-in Rapid Antigen test?