Vista Roll Calls

gbits

10 minutes ago, lovetravel63-65 said:

I would certainly go direct to Southampton because there is nothing more worrying than to be anxious to be on time and there is little to do around Heathrow.There is more to do in Southampton if you are not to tired.
We always use Kevin.  kevinclassiccabs@hotmail.com cell 447780578717 he has several vehicles including a Mercedes and a Mondeo which we prefer because of the size and the huge trunk.He will charge about 130£ each way.You could ask if he would take you to Stonehenge on the way but you would have to check if it would be open when be open when you get there.

If you want somewhere to stay Holiday Inn is right next to the port but depending on who you are cruising with you might need a very short taxi ride.

We have used Premier Inn several times and they have a new hotel at West Quay right next to a big shopping mall,they do a good meal deal for 28£ each you get dinner with a glass of wine and a good breakfast.This is almost as near as Holiday Inn

If you have the energy after your flight you could do a quick trip to the Isle of Wight on the high speed ferry which is about half a mile from either hotel or hop across the Solent to Hythe

If you want something unusual try the Pig in the wall Southampton 

16 hours ago, irisbax3 said:

We will arrive at Heathrow on July 7 around 4 pm for a July 8th cruise out of Southampton. Do you think it best to stay overnight in a hotel near Heathrow or go directly to Southampton and stay overnight there?  Are you aware of any transfer companies that will take me from Heathrow to Southampton?  Thank you in advance for any information you may provide.

By the time you get your bags & clear immigration   you could head to Southampton   maybe by 7pm

Have a walk around get dinner & go to bed  then in the morning you can explore a bit before heading to the port

Or just get  a place near Heathrow & take the bus to Southampton in the morning

depends on if you sleep well on the plane or not

We stayed  art the Mercure Dolphin it is off the High street  lots of restaurants/shops  & a short walk to the mall

They will arrange a taxi to the port when you are ready I think we paid about 10 GBP

enjoy

1 hour ago, Wheelhouse said:

Hey BrocktonCruiser the roll call has already started.   I guess you will be able to stop at home and water the plants on the Boston stop.   

We are smart enough to have no living things at home besides us.  That way we are free to travel whenever 😀. But, we will be pretty close to home for sure.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

By the time you get your bags & clear immigration   you could head to Southampton   maybe by 7pm

Have a walk around get dinner & go to bed  then in the morning you can explore a bit before heading to the port

Or just get  a place near Heathrow & take the bus to Southampton in the morning

depends on if you sleep well on the plane or not

We stayed  art the Mercure Dolphin it is off the High street  lots of restaurants/shops  & a short walk to the mall

They will arrange a taxi to the port when you are ready I think we paid about 10 GBP

enjoy

Thanks is very much.  This information will help us in deciding where to stay upon arrival.  Is there a specific bus that will take us to Southampton?  Where would we catch the bus?

3 minutes ago, irisbax3 said:

Thanks is very much.  This information will help us in deciding where to stay upon arrival.  Is there a specific bus that will take us to Southampton?  Where would we catch the bus?

National Express   right at Heathrow  then just get  a taxi from the bus station to your hotel\

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/heathrow

Or you can prebook a car service  for about 100+ GBP

On 9/15/2021 at 3:38 PM, grmmybtty said:

We took the National Express Bus from Heathrow to Southampton, then an Uber to our hotel. It was fast and inexpensive. We've paid over $150 for a shared car from Southamptom to Heathrow that took much more time and was caught in traffic. Never again. 

Thanks so much.  Will look into this bus service.  That sounds exactly like what we are looking for.

13 hours ago, lovetravel63-65 said:

If you want something unusual try the Pig in the wall Southampton 

Thanks so much, Lovetravel63-65, I agree that it's probably better to go straight to Southampton and not have to worry about arriving there the day of the cruise.  I have been looking at the hotels that you mentioned so I appreciate your insight on those as well. Thanks, again.  Enjoy your cruise.

I have waited with great anticipation for the launch of the beautiful Vista.  I was particularly excited about trhe solo balcony cabins new to this ship.  However, when I was pricing different cruises, the price I was quoted for the (smaller) solo cabin was more than if I paid double for a regular balcony cabin.  What a disappointment!  For years the cruise lines have been ripping off the solo passengers by charging them double (we don't eat double nor do we make double messes) and I thought I would see a reasonable price for a solo balcony.  But this pricing is really adding insult to injury.

25 minutes ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

However, when I was pricing different cruises, the price I was quoted for the (smaller) solo cabin was more than if I paid double for a regular balcony cabin

The solo cabins are priced as A4 cabins with the amenities that a concierge cabin carries. The pricing seems to be 1.83 of the pp charge of an A4. In other words a solo traveller would pay one and 5/6 what a traveller would pay who shared accommodation.

I would agree that it seems like a lot even though it appears that the solo cabins have extended balconies.

Having said that, it looks like Oceania gauged the market well as the solo cabins were fast to sell out.

Hi all, especially Aloha1

Hope you will find the a roll call has started now - 

myself and the Auldladdie look forward to seeing you on Vista.  Doesn't it look a lovely ship?

We live in Scotland and have had a long lockdown there, so we are sorely needing to get back on the water - and warm water at that. 🙂 We have land trips booked in 2022, but this is our first "toe-dip", after a long dry spell. It is still such a long time away, but it is exciting and satisfying to plan another cruise. Just can't come fast enough! 

22 hours ago, Robjame said:

The solo cabins are priced as A4 cabins with the amenities that a concierge cabin carries. The pricing seems to be 1.83 of the pp charge of an A4. In other words a solo traveller would pay one and 5/6 what a traveller would pay who shared accommodation.

I would agree that it seems like a lot even though it appears that the solo cabins have extended balconies.

Having said that, it looks like Oceania gauged the market well as the solo cabins were fast to sell out.

However, your numbers really are meaningless as the solo passenger is paying for a smaller cabin and a really small bed in a terrible location on the ship.  As far as the concierge lounge, who needs it?  This solo cabin pricing is a huge disappointment and a slap in the face for solo cruisers.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

However, your numbers really are meaningless as the solo passenger is paying for a smaller cabin and a really small bed in a terrible location on the ship.  As far as the concierge lounge, who needs it?  This solo cabin pricing is a huge disappointment and a slap in the face for solo cruisers.

I still agree with you. The only thing you can say is that the solo cabin is the cheapest way for a solo passenger to cruise on Vista.….and it is the fastest category to sell out on any Vista cruise.

1 hour ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

Agreed.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, Vagabondvoyager said:

I have waited with great anticipation for the launch of the beautiful Vista.  I was particularly excited about trhe solo balcony cabins new to this ship.  However, when I was pricing different cruises, the price I was quoted for the (smaller) solo cabin was more than if I paid double for a regular balcony cabin.  What a disappointment!  For years the cruise lines have been ripping off the solo passengers by charging them double (we don't eat double nor do we make double messes) and I thought I would see a reasonable price for a solo balcony.  But this pricing is really adding insult to injury.

Then why do you not pay the lesser price for the regular balcony cabin, if it is less, you win.

2 minutes ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

Because it is still price gouging the solo passengers.  You are missing the whole point.

Prices are based on double occupancy. Do you normally get a discount at a hotel if only one is staying instead of two in a room? Is that price gouging also for not charging you half rate?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

Because it is still price gouging the solo passengers.  You are missing the whole point.

Not missing your point.  You said you could get a larger balcony cabin for less than what you would be paying for a smaller solo balcony cabin. Charging double for a solo passenger certainly is not new, I have done it on several cruises when I sail alone, and I only cruise 1x/year, so I def treat myself.  I know it going in and just move forward if that is what I decide to do.  Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vagabondvoyager said:

Then why do you not pay the lesser price for the regular balcony cabin, if it is less, you win.

I have seen no Vista Cruise where the solo cabin is more than any balcony cabin. 

I would be interested if anyone can point me to such a situation. Every Vista cruise I have looked at has the solo cabin priced at less than the price of a French Verandah (2 persons)... and it is what the solo passenger has to pay that is the issue.

Not sure I could agree that the Solo cabin is in a terrible location. Isn't it on the aft? Perhaps an undesirable location due to preference for some, but others love that location. I'd have to look at the deck plans again to make sure if that's where they are. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

Not sure I could agree that the Solo cabin is in a terrible location. Isn't it on the aft? Perhaps an undesirable location due to preference for some, but others love that location. I'd have to look at the deck plans again to make sure if that's where they are. 

The 6 solo cabins are in the aft section of deck 9, 3 on each side next to an owners suite that encompasses the entire aft of the ship.  They will have an extended balcony similar as to what is now available on deck 7 of Marina and Riviera as a B3.

Well, I am one of those that scored a solo for the maiden voyage, and I’m thrilled. Pricing could be questionable, but we will see. I think the location is very good. I’ve always been more forward near the lounge, but it is not that far.  I would like to see two chairs on the balcony rather than one to accommodate a guest. Anyway, I’m excited to try the solo!

• Like 3