Re-Fare, add Princess Plus...does this increase the cost of Princess Vacation Protection Ins

Therese S.

My understanding is that the Princess Vacation Protection Insurance is based upon the cost of your cruise fare.  So if I re-fare to a Princess Plus fare would the coat of my insurance go up.  For anyone who added the Princess Plus after booking did your Princess Protection go up?  If it does, it would seem strange to insure  drinks, water, tips and wifi.

2 hours ago, Therese S. said:

My understanding is that the Princess Vacation Protection Insurance is based upon the cost of your cruise fare.  So if I re-fare to a Princess Plus fare would the coat of my insurance go up.  For anyone who added the Princess Plus after booking did your Princess Protection go up?  If it does, it would seem strange to insure  drinks, water, tips and wifi.

You would not be insuring tips, bevs, wifi ... you would be insuring your fare which, by the way, includes those goodies.

Not unlike insuring a trip that includes a stay at an all-inclusive resort.

And, yes, your insurance premium will be based on your Plus Fare.

There is a difference between booking Princess Plus and booking the drink package separately if you need to cancel.

If you book the drink package separately, then it can be cancelled for a full refund prior to the cruise. Since it is fully refundable, you don't need to insure it.

If you book Princess Plus, then the cost is included in the cruise fare and is subject to the same cancellation penalties as the rest of the fare. If you cancel past final payment, then you will lose some or all of it (depending on when you cancel). Therefore it needs to be insured the same as any other nonrefundable cost.

Actually, this is something important to consider when doing math on value of PLUS and if it makes sense to you.  This matters whether insuring with Princess or a 3rd party insurer.  Insurance quote always based on total fare.  I have not thought about this before myself.

But the math is $40/pp/day.  And I would figure about 8% for insurance cost.  So, $3.20 extra/day.  That might tip the scales away from PLUS for some folks. 

I use $14.50 for grats + $2.50 for Internet = $17/pp/day.  This is because we usually sail with friends and share a 4-device package.  If just wife and I, I would be using $19.50/pp/day in sunk costs.

The balance left for drinks portion is $23 + $3.20 for the insurance = $26.20/pp/day.  So $52.40/day for us.  Well, we can do wine for WAY less than that if bringing our own and we don't drink much.

Enough without more boring details, but suffice to say, more drink spending required to cover the insurance cost.

• Like 1