Starting a new roll call for one segment on an RTW cruise...

Nashna

We just made the deposit for our first Oceania cruise.  I was excited to discover that there was an existing Roll call until I realized that our 18-day cruise from Miami to San Francisco in December 2022 was the first portion of a RTW cruise. 

December 28, 2022 ATW 2023 MIA-SF / SF-SF and All Other Versions & Segments

I look forward to participating in the roll calls for our sailings.  Understandably, 99 percent of the 537 posts on this roll call are referring to the RTW aspect of cruise.  Currently, just the very top suites are sold out for this sailing as well as one other category so it looks like most RTW cruisers will not even be on this sailing and will join the RTW on the SFO segment.  Since it appears that the vast majority of cruisers on this segment will not be on the RTW cruise, Is it possible to start a new roll call for just the 18-day sailing? 

6 minutes ago, Nashna said:

We just made the deposit for our first Oceania cruise.  I was excited to discover that there was an existing Roll call until I realized that our 18-day cruise from Miami to San Francisco in December 2022 was the first portion of a RTW cruise. 

I look forward to participating in the roll calls for our sailings.  Understandably, 99 percent of the 537 posts on this roll call are referring to the RTW aspect of cruise.  Currently, just the very top suites are sold out for this sailing as well as one other category so it looks like most RTW cruisers will not even be on this sailing and will join the RTW on the SFO segment.  Since it appears that the vast majority of cruisers on this segment will not be on the RTW cruise, Is it possible to start a new roll call for just the 18-day sailing? 

PLEASE don’t do that. 
we often do multiple ATW segments and folks who start segment specific roll calls really cause more issues than are needed. 
I suggest that you and other segment folks do as we do. Preface your posts with a reminder of what segment(s) you are posting about.

I would appreciate hearing what issues could be caused by establishing a separate roll call for the majority of passengers on the 18-day holiday segment who will not be ATW passengers.  After perusing 527 posts on this roll call, it is apparent that ATW cruisers have issues and interests that do not pertain to passengers sailing on shorter cruises.   I can totally understand separate roll call issues when the segment is in the middle of a RTW sailing.  However, this segment is at the start of the RTW cruise and very few RTW passengers have chosen to sail on this portion.  

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I would appreciate hearing what issues could be caused by establishing a separate roll call for the majority of passengers on the 18-day holiday segment who will not be ATW passengers.  After perusing 527 posts on this roll call, it is apparent that ATW cruisers have issues and interests that do not pertain to passengers sailing on shorter cruises.   I can totally understand separate roll call issues when the segment is in the middle of a RTW sailing.  However, this segment is at the start of the RTW cruise and very few RTW passengers have chosen to sail on this portion.  

For starters: all the duplication of pre-ATW land/flight et al. recommendations (including missing items that the few folks who sign up for your segment thread) may miss because they don’t think to look at the ATW thread.

Then there’s the reality that the ATW folks will be the first to learn of (and share with segment folks) itinerary news from O - even affecting just your [or my] segment. Yes, even though you’re also leaving on the same day at the beginning of the ATW, they’ll know of changes before you will.

Your attempt to start a M&G will only end up conflicting with any M&G already existing on the main “ATW & segments” thread.

Opportunities to share tours or get info about tours on your set of ports already exists. Why duplicate that effort?

And, finally, the big one: No one needs two threads with possibly conflicting info about Covid related anything - particularly changes in embarkation policies/restrictions. There’s already enough misinformation on CC within just a single thread.

FWIW: If doing separate threads for ATW segments (even just the first leg) worked well, don’t you think there’d already be one set up this close to the cruise. (In fact, search CC for that situation for prior recent ATW years. Seldom will you see many separate segment threads since folks figured out they were more trouble than they were worth.

You can go to the roll call section & just start  one for that cruise

I am sure others may join you  as you say not everyone will be on that segment of the RTW cruise

You can sign up for  both the RTW cruise & the segment 

Those that do not want to participate  do not have to

JMO

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

That is your cruise, in the subject line for the post simply indicate the specific dates of your portion of the cruise, you’ll find plenty of activity.