Mekong River Cruise

F19810

Personally I didn’t particularly like the twin balcony on Ama; I found that you end up with a tiny outdoor space, and a weird alcove inside. 

I did the Irawaddy with Avalon; I loved their much smaller ship (18 panorama cabins with a huge window that opens). They also sail right to Saigon, instead of busing you from the delta, so you might want to look at them too. 

I just booked a Mekong sailing yesterday for December 2022. In studying the weather, I was focused on mid-November through end of February, to try to avoid the rainy months and get (somewhat) cooler weather. I found the prices to be slightly less in December than the other months, likely due to people not wanting to be gone over/to close to the holidays. As we like being in an international destination on holidays this worked in our favor. 

We booked with Scenic, as we just sailed their Beautiful Bordeaux itinerary last week and loved it. Also, their start in cabin is very nice, being a small suite with wide picture windows and balcony, and a separate sitting area from the bedroom. 

We did the Mekong with the full land extensions with Ama in mid Feb 2020 and the weather was very good. Not that warm and only a couple of showers that never caught us out.  Staff was wonderful, including the local guides. Our cruise director could not be beat.  I have seen your post on the Ama Nile trip and noted you were traveling solo.  I see that Ama currently has a solo offer that would cover the end of 2022. I do not have any experience with Uniworld, their decor seems over the top, but it would not get the way of a good itinerary and price. 

Wishing you smooth travels later this month.  

8 hours ago, kayakcove said:

We did the Mekong with the full land extensions with Ama in mid Feb 2020 and the weather was very good. Not that warm and only a couple of showers that never caught us out.  Staff was wonderful, including the local guides. Our cruise director could not be beat.  I have seen your post on the Ama Nile trip and noted you were traveling solo.  I see that Ama currently has a solo offer that would cover the end of 2022. I do not have any experience with Uniworld, their decor seems over the top, but it would not get the way of a good itinerary and price. 

Wishing you smooth travels later this month.  

Thanks, I leave in 25 days for Jordan.  My first thought was to go in November, but then I thought getting out our the cold for several weeks would be good.  My next thought was to spend my birthday on the cruise in March.  Can't make up my mind!  I live AMA but Uni has a smaller boat and 2 nights in Ha Long Bay which is why I am considering them.  I'm leaning towards AMA because it is cheaper and I know their product.

Judy

11 hours ago, F19810 said:

Thanks, I leave in 25 days for Jordan.  My first thought was to go in November, but then I thought getting out our the cold for several weeks would be good.  My next thought was to spend my birthday on the cruise in March.  Can't make up my mind!  I live AMA but Uni has a smaller boat and 2 nights in Ha Long Bay which is why I am considering them.  I'm leaning towards AMA because it is cheaper and I know their product.

Judy

We are headed to Jordan (and hopefully Israel if it opens up) in late January. I know it's off topic and and off brand for cruisecritic but would love to see a quick update, maybe under this thread, of how your trip went. 

We booked the Scenic 7 night cruise with the 3 nights land in Siem Reap (because I like their program in SR). Then we are doing Hanoi, Halong Bay, and Hoi An on our own beforehand so I can get exactly what I want. For example, in Halong Bay we are actually booking a boat that sails in Lan Ha Bay, the less touristy area with fewer ships.

14 hours ago, terry&mike said:

We are headed to Jordan (and hopefully Israel if it opens up) in late January. I know it's off topic and and off brand for cruisecritic but would love to see a quick update, maybe under this thread, of how your trip went. 

We booked the Scenic 7 night cruise with the 3 nights land in Siem Reap (because I like their program in SR). Then we are doing Hanoi, Halong Bay, and Hoi An on our own beforehand so I can get exactly what I want. For example, in Halong Bay we are actually booking a boat that sails in Lan Ha Bay, the less touristy area with fewer ships.

If you are talking about the Jordan/Egypt trip, I plan to do a live trip report.

Judy

11 hours ago, F19810 said:

If you are talking about the Jordan/Egypt trip, I plan to do a live trip report.

Judy

Oh nice! Yes, I was talking about Jordan in the first half of that post.  I didn't realize it was a river cruise you were doing, and was thinking it was land so was thinking you wouldn't post here.  We have done Egypt on a river cruise several years ago, along with some land touring in Egypt and really loved it.  We are headed to Jordan, Israel (if it opens up), and Cyprus in late January. We have a land tour in Jordan, and then will be doing Israel and Cyprus on our own.  I'll be looking out for your posts. 

7 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Oh nice! Yes, I was talking about Jordan in the first half of that post.  I didn't realize it was a river cruise you were doing, and was thinking it was land so was thinking you wouldn't post here.  We have done Egypt on a river cruise several years ago, along with some land touring in Egypt and really loved it.  We are headed to Jordan, Israel (if it opens up), and Cyprus in late January. We have a land tour in Jordan, and then will be doing Israel and Cyprus on our own.  I'll be looking out for your posts. 

Jordan is AMA's pre tour to Egypt.