Bermuda Travel Authorisation (TA) requirements

boswell0877

leaving (hopefully) for an NCL cruise to Bermuda on Oct. 3rd, 2021.  what a royal mess this has been.

we booked this cruise thinking that this was going to be a "show your vaccination card, get an antigen test at the pier, and then a PCR test at the pier".

at least that is what the NCL emails stated.  there was a link to the Bermuda TA web site that describes having to get a PCR test 96 hours before boarding and that you need the TA to board.

since none of this TA was in ANY of the NCL emails my travel agent and myself assumed that NCL had arranged something with Bermuda as far as the PCR test.  you would get the PCR test on sunday (pier), get the results on monday, and then fill out the TA, get it approved, so you could disembark on wednesday.

so i reiterate, NONE of the prior NCL emails at this point mentioned needing to get a PCR test on wednesday and needing to have a TA to board.  because this information was lacking i'm afraid lots of people are going to think the same as me that NCL was working closely with Bermuda and doing the testing themselves.

yesterday (9/27) i get an email from our travel agent stating that we need to get the PCR test as Bermuda is requiring it as well as the TA to board.  luckily, me and my wife were able to get one scheduled for 9/29.  now whether the results will contain all of the relevant information that seems to be required (DOB, test type, etc.) is out of our control and we can only hope for the best.  and hoping that the turnaround is less than 2 days as listed on the government web site for this drug chain.

and then we have to scurry to fill out the TA and hope that that gets approved within 2 days.  as you can see there is an awful lot that could go wrong in the time frame required.  NCL really messed up by not stating this PCR test and TA requirement explicitly in their emails.

and to top it off we get a phone call today (9/28) from NCL telling us about the PCR test requirement and TA form in order to board on sunday.  i think they must be in panic mode right now.

and i have no idea what happens if we fail (or a member of our party) the antigen test.  do we get the TA ($75/person) fee refunded.  what happens if the NCL PCR test at the pier ends up being positive while we have already set sail.  i imagine a quarantine yet NCL makes no mention of these what-ifs.

if your Bermuda TA is denied (for whatever reason) do you get you $75 refunded?  what about your spouse?

to top it off the Bermuda TA site states that Step 4 "All cruise passengers must take a COVID-19 PCR test on arrival into Bermuda".  what, another PCR test?

when we arrive wednesday morning at 8AM?  so given a 1-2 day turnaround for the results we'll get to find out on thurdsay when we leave at 3PM.  so we might have paid $75 to see the island for a few hours.  and what about excursions that people have booked.  and do they have the facilities to test 1000's of people with a timely turnaround.

our travel agent is trying to find out whether or not the NCL PCR test will be used in lieu of the "arrival" one but has usual NCL is clueless as far as what is going on.  leave it to the poor passengers to scurry about trying to figure out what to do.  but NCL has no problem continually sending out emails offering upgrades!!

this has been a real mess.  it should not be this complicated even with COVID.

if we do not get a full 2 1/2 days docked in Bermuda where we can get off the ship i plan to dispute the credit charges.

if NCL had any ethics they would be reimbursing everyone for this charge regardless, since this TA fee was never brought to light until one had booked.

anyone (definitively) know if the NCL PCR test at the pier will be used instead of Bermuda's "arrival" test?

to all those considering traveling with NCL (or any other cruise line) i would recommend you hold off until NCL gets their act together.

1 minute ago, donnajoedoc said:

From what I've read, they test you at the pier, antigen and PCR, at no cost. The antigen result gets you aboard the ship after waiting in the terminal for the result. The PCR sample is analyzed while enroute to Bermuda.

that's what i hope but WHY CAN'T NCL SPELL THIS OUT.  all they have to do is send out an email saying that the pier PCR test is in lieu of the "arrival" one.

1 minute ago, donnajoedoc said:

that looks like the same letter that was sent around September 9 or so . It does say in the letter that all guest take a PCR test 96 hours prior to sail date and all guest must register on the bermuda ta website

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

that looks like the same letter that was sent around September 9 or so . It does say in the letter that all guest take a PCR test 96 hours prior to sail date and all guest must register on the bermuda ta website

I sail on October 31.  That letter was sent to my travel agent, not me. Fortunately, she is also my sister and sent it to me right away. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i stand corrected.  i did look at the email again and it is stated.  but i wish that it was highlighted instead of being lumped in with driving times, etc.

• Like 1

This has been discussed here and on the roll calls for over a month now.  Yes, the letter from NCL could have highlighted what needed to be done, but the NCL site also states that the passenger is responsible for finding out and complying with any entry requirements for each port.

This has been the case even before Covid.  Travelers now really need to be pro-active about the required protocols for the countries they are visiting.

Do I wish I could just be vaccinated and get on the ship, sure.  But right now that is probably not going to happen.  And situations are fluid and can change at any time.

At least be happy that you got the information before you got to the pier.  Apparently, many people showed up at the pier without having an approved Travel Authorisation and had to scramble to get it completed at the pier, which was actually pretty decent of Bermuda and NCL to let them do it there as the protocols were clearly stated ahead of time that you needed an approved TA to board.  Unfortunately there were also probably some people who were left behind.

As I understand it the Travel Authorization fee is a processing fee, so I wouldn't expect that it would be refunded if denied. Also, if you are allowed to board and are onboard for the full time I doubt that a credit card dispute would do anything. Ports of call are not guaranteed at all nor is the ability to leave the ship. I am watching these issues closely because we sail in mid-November to Bermuda.