Worthwhile excursions on Costa Maya and Cozumel

thesnoopster2

21 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Snuck into this convo via a search for new info on mexico - but let me say that is a great tour, we loved it. I didn’t see little children on it but there were some teens. Great, educated guide! You will love it! But their location is a greater trek from the cruise port than you imagine so grab a cheap taxi if you can if you aren’t at a high level of fitness 👍🏼

We loved the tour.  Guide was great, the private lunch awesome.  The hardest part is finding the office in the morning.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:42 PM, missalexandra said:

I am a scuba diver and have been to Cozumel many times, know the island well. The excursions are all ripoffs, don't bother. The "ruins" on this island are a total joke. If you want to go to the beach, get in a taxi and go to the beach of your choice. Some of them do charge but not nearly as much as the ship will take from you. The best option is to rent a scooter and drive it around the island at your own pace. Walk to a rental place and it will cost half as much as doing it through the cruise, if that. There are beautiful beaches on the undeveloped side of the island. It's perfectly safe and you can't get lost unless you are brain dead. No, you can't do that with a toddler.

The ruins near Costa Maya are better than on Cozumel but don't remotely compare to something like Chichen Itza or Uxmal. If you want to go there negotiate with a taxi driver and they will take you for much less than being herded onto a bus. To get to the beach, either walk (not with a toddler for sure) or wend your way through the tourist trap maze and find the local taxis, which will only charge you a couple of dollars. Plenty of places to hang out for just the price of buying a few drinks. 

Do you have any recommendations on who to book dives with in Coz? Im there from 8am to 4 and would like to get a half day dive in but my ship isn't offering it as an excursion 

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

We loved the tour.  Guide was great, the private lunch awesome.  The hardest part is finding the office in the morning.

Yup! And race walking that distance 😣😂 My sister had some difficult with the small steep steps of the pyramid, but with help she was okay. The stop for honey pineapple with chili powder on the side of the road may have been the best part. Best food combo ever!

Edited by AlohaLivin

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:18 AM, Megraz said:

Do you have any recommendations on who to book dives with in Coz? Im there from 8am to 4 and would like to get a half day dive in but my ship isn't offering it as an excursion 

I didn't see this until now. Unfortunately the very best dive operations won't work on a cruise as you can't get there early enough. I can recommend Scuba with Allison or Deep Blue. They leave at 9. What ship will you be on? I'll be diving in Cozumel on Dec. 17.

7 hours ago, missalexandra said:

I didn't see this until now. Unfortunately the very best dive operations won't work on a cruise as you can't get there early enough. I can recommend Scuba with Allison or Deep Blue. They leave at 9. What ship will you be on? I'll be diving in Cozumel on Dec. 17.

Norwegian Escape Jan 24. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cozumel, we do the Cozumel Bar Hop tour.  They take you the "wild" side of the island (east side) which is pretty much undeveloped other than a few beach bars.  Even though it is a bar hop it is very low key and i think you can bring kids. Also in Covid times it is nice to be away from the crowds and all the bars are basically an open palapa on the beach so lots of fresh air.

Costa Maya, i second Native Tours.  We did the under water river tour a few years back.  Not real kid friendly, especially for a small kid.  But if not a tour through them i would recomend taking a cab to Mahahual and walk the malecon (board walk) and find a place to eat, drink, and swim.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bstel said:

Cozumel, we do the Cozumel Bar Hop tour.  They take you the "wild" side of the island (east side) which is pretty much undeveloped other than a few beach bars.  Even though it is a bar hop it is very low key and i think you can bring kids. Also in Covid times it is nice to be away from the crowds and all the bars are basically an open palapa on the beach so lots of fresh air.

Costa Maya, i second Native Tours.  We did the under water river tour a few years back.  Not real kid friendly, especially for a small kid.  But if not a tour through them i would recomend taking a cab to Mahahual and walk the malecon (board walk) and find a place to eat, drink, and swim.

I've driven around Cozumel many times. No need to pay for a tour when you can rent a scooter for $25.