2021/2022 Antarctica Travel Insurance

Heartfelttraveler

16 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

We live in the United States.

I need to purchase travel insurance for our upcoming trip to Antarctica in January 2022.

If you recently purchased insurance for your upcoming Antarctica trip - what company did you go with and why?

Hi again,

We haven't (yet?) sailed to Antarctica.

However, we always get our travel insurance from www.TripInsuranceStore.com, which we learned about here on CC almost 10 years ago now.

They are a broker, and work with several "vetted" insurers, each of which has more than one type of policy (I think each does).

Our policies have been with Travel Insured and we've had several claims, including a few large ones, for cruises and land trips.  All have been paid without nonsense, and that's what counts, after all.

We learned a LOT from Steve (owner) and his associates.  They are incredibly patient, and answered many (!) "But what if X happens?  What if Y happens!?" questions, including recently.  It seems several trips continue to have various "peculiarities" such that I need to double check yet again... 😉 

And Covid has just made things even more complicated.

Here are links to CC's Travel Insurance sub-forums and to one that Steve himself handles (which includes questions that don't involve trips where he handles the insurance):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2021/

They don't "upsell".  (In fact, one time, Steve actually talked me *out* of buying a policy, explaining - and mostly from his memory! - why he thought we didn't need it.  He was correct, and we didn't buy a policy from him for that trip.  That really surprised me, and very pleasantly!)

Enjoy your trip!  We'll be thinking about it.  Do you care to share just which cruise it is, so we can "follow along"?

GC

On 10/9/2021 at 8:37 PM, Heartfelttraveler said:

We live in the United States.

I need to purchase travel insurance for our upcoming trip to Antarctica in January 2022.

If you recently purchased insurance for your upcoming Antarctica trip - what company did you go with and why?

We are sailing in Feb 2022 and we purchased our insurance from Travel Guard.  There are several online companies that "compare" prices.  Make sure to check out several of them ...as they all offer the same insurance companies...but not all prices are the same.  Insuremytrip; Squaremouth; and the one mentioned above.  If you are member of AAA or USAA they also offer just travel insurance.  Make sure your travel insurance is the "primary payer", not secondary...as this means you must submit to your other insurance methods (like medical insurance) and get a reject before you can submit to the travel insurance carrier.  Takes a lot of time, and is a hassle.  We have used both Allianz and Travel guard...both are very good for claims.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2021 at 10:10 AM, GeezerCouple said:

Hi again,

We haven't (yet?) sailed to Antarctica.

However, we always get our travel insurance from www.TripInsuranceStore.com, which we learned about here on CC almost 10 years ago now.

They are a broker, and work with several "vetted" insurers, each of which has more than one type of policy (I think each does).

Our policies have been with Travel Insured and we've had several claims, including a few large ones, for cruises and land trips.  All have been paid without nonsense, and that's what counts, after all.

We learned a LOT from Steve (owner) and his associates.  They are incredibly patient, and answered many (!) "But what if X happens?  What if Y happens!?" questions, including recently.  It seems several trips continue to have various "peculiarities" such that I need to double check yet again... 😉 

And Covid has just made things even more complicated.

Here are links to CC's Travel Insurance sub-forums and to one that Steve himself handles (which includes questions that don't involve trips where he handles the insurance):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2021/

They don't "upsell".  (In fact, one time, Steve actually talked me *out* of buying a policy, explaining - and mostly from his memory! - why he thought we didn't need it.  He was correct, and we didn't buy a policy from him for that trip.  That really surprised me, and very pleasantly!)

Enjoy your trip!  We'll be thinking about it.  Do you care to share just which cruise it is, so we can "follow along"?

GC

Thank you for this information. I have many trips on the calendar in the next 18 months and need help,p figuring out how to insure those adventures. Happy Cruising. 

I went to Antarctica in 12/19 and had trip insurance through Ripcord Travel Rescue Insurance.  Thank goodness I didn't need to use it but someone fell down a flight of stairs, broke an ankle, and had to be air rescued out.  

We went through AARDY - who we have dealt with in the past and they are extremely helpful explaining all the different policies and suggesting which one would be best for me.  I bought the Travel Guard Plus policy.  I know it differs for different ages, I am 72 and it cost me $1098 for 25 days.  I bought it within the 21 day timeframe to cover pre existing conditions.  I liked it because it gave $1 million for evac and $100,000 medical expense + all the other benefits.  Also covers if the tour company goes out of business - which not all policies cover.

Thanks for all the information.

We went through SquareMouth and bought a Tin Leg Gold policy.

It was very expensive (we are used to this) - we are 65 and 74.

Covid Coverage

$500,000 evacuation

$500,000 Emergency Medical

Plus all the other stuff.

It is a very comprehensive policy and covers us for the expedition and post trip to Rio.

I have learned that "You never know" and 'You have to be prepared."

I expect it to be wasted money and that we will not have to use it.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:03 PM, cruise1949 said:

Thank you for this information. I have many trips on the calendar in the next 18 months and need help,p figuring out how to insure those adventures. Happy Cruising. 

If you have several trips scheduled, you might consider an annual policy.  We have done so in the past.

DON