Main guest Canceled 18 YO stuck

tiffy0728

Please don't get this post locked again. The wait time on Carnival is extremely long and I am just trying to see if anyone else has gone through this. 

My sister-in-law booked a February cruise with us with herself her 18yo, 14yo; and 3yo son. Herself the 3yo and 14yo decided not to go because she isn't getting vaccinated and neither is her 14yo son. The problem is her  18 year old still wants to go on the cruise. Her room is paid for and she isn’t looking to get her money back she is ok with just getting her taxes and port fees back. Can i add another adult to the booking and take off the other two guest and have her as a no show? Or does the original person have to be there to check him in as well?

I can’t put him in my room. it doesn’t hold four people. I was wondering if
I could change the name of the other two kids and keep his mom on and have her as a no show 

I don't know if that will work because you must be 21 or older to cruise alone on Carnival (unless it is a married couple or military), they may not let him check in if the over-25 in his cabin is a no-show.  You might want to see if you can move an adult from your cabin to his cabin on the booking so that everything is approved from that perspective (if you have 2 adults in your cabin), or you may have to put his reservation on yours, but I'm not sure how that will affect an already paid-in-full reservation where the primary is canceling.

Edited by Jobeth66

Feb. 2022, you're not past final payment. Assume you and sister booked direct with Carnival? First problem is she will have to call Carnival if she made the booking. 

Feb. protocols not announced yet so, she can't cancel just because she will not meet protocols. Assume she'll work with you, both should call Carnival together. Are you moving someone off your booking into her cabin. Carnival can probably just cancel her and rebook the new guest and nephew. Or they could remove the person from your cabin and do a name change which is usually at least $50 fee. 

You don't need advice here. You and sis need to explain situation to Carnival. They will decide and tell you the new terms and you can decide.

19 minutes ago, mondello said:

Feb. 2022, you're not past final payment. Assume you and sister booked direct with Carnival? First problem is she will have to call Carnival if she made the booking. 

Feb. protocols not announced yet so, she can't cancel just because she will not meet protocols. Assume she'll work with you, both should call Carnival together. Are you moving someone off your booking into her cabin. Carnival can probably just cancel her and rebook the new guest and nephew. Or they could remove the person from your cabin and do a name change which is usually at least $50 fee. 

You don't need advice here. You and sis need to explain situation to Carnival. They will decide and tell you the new terms and you can decide.

She made it very clear she isn't getting Vaccine and isn't going. Her cruise is paid in full. Her room was a room of four and the only one that is still going is my nephew who is 18. She told my other brother and his girlfriend that they can stay in her room they just would have to pay for the name change. She was going to stay on as a no show

6 minutes ago, tiffy0728 said:

She made it very clear she isn't getting Vaccine and isn't going. Her cruise is paid in full. Her room was a room of four and the only one that is still going is my nephew who is 18. She told my other brother and his girlfriend that they can stay in her room they just would have to pay for the name change. She was going to stay on as a no show

He needs an adult, what's it 21 or 25 in the cabin? Move an adult and pay the $50 name change fee. Again, just clear it with Carnival. I didn't mention anything about a vaccine? Capisce?

9 minutes ago, tiffy0728 said:

How many total cabins in your group? Are there any triples/quads, with adults? If yes, as someone mentioned, 'move' (on paper) one of those adults to his cabin. Once on the ship, you can do as you please. Only problem, the cabin that has someone 'move' might have to pay a little more (because they went from quad to triple or triple to double), but they can take the cash from the mom that cancelled. Hope this makes sense.

Edited by klfhngr

From the info here:https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/kw/age to be in cabin alone   If you are willing to be the "guardian" of the 18 year old he can board with you and stay in his own cabin. Just contact your TA, PVP or customer service to link the bookings

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. For additional minor age restriction guidelines while on board, click here.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

Since the booking is before final payment, unless it is a totally non-refundable fare the Mom can get 1/2 the amount of the cruise back (minus anything that is non-refundable). Son would have to pay for double fare to use the cabin.

As above....18 is not an issue as long as you are willing to be his guardian.  The issue will be he does not own the reservation and the financially responsible person will not be a guest.  I think only Carnival can answer this question.

40 minutes ago, Bevv said:

From the info here:https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/kw/age to be in cabin alone   If you are willing to be the "guardian" of the 18 year old he can board with you and stay in his own cabin. Just contact your TA, PVP or customer service to link the bookings

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. For additional minor age restriction guidelines while on board, click here.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

This helps a lot. I booked all the cabins under my name on Carnival and linked them all together for dinner. Thank you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bevv said:

Since the booking is before final payment, unless it is a totally non-refundable fare the Mom can get 1/2 the amount of the cruise back (minus anything that is non-refundable). Son would have to pay for double fare to use the cabin.

Thank you. I guess it's time to stay on hold for two hours

• Like 1

Carnival Cruise Line extended their Covid protocols through February 2022 last week. Your SIL should be able to cancel their cruise since she will not be vaccinated and be able to get a refund. Since the 18 year old still wants to go, I see several options. 1st option is to change your current reservation to include your 18 year old nephew. There are rooms that can hold 4 people. You would have to move staterooms and might lose any promo that might be tied to your current booking. 2nd option is to book a solo room for your nephew. As an 18 year old, as long as his reservation is tied to your reservation there is no restriction on where his room is located on the ship. 3rd option is to have your nephew bring a friend and they can bunk together. This option would usually be only a couple hundred dollars more than option 2 due to not having the solo supplement. Last option is to have 2 rooms and split up your current room. Since you already have a room for 3, why not book 2 rooms with 2 people each? I suggest the last option as it might be cheaper than having a room for 3 and a room for 1.

Sources: 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-extends-protocols-through-february-2022/57511

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

• Like 1

Isn't the OP a relative of the 18 year old?  I think she would be his aunt, so why even go the guardian route?

OP, can you substitute another cruiser for the mom (either you or someone else cruising with your party), because the rule is ONE name on the room has to stay the same, and then cancel the other person/people who are willing to cruise?  I think there may be a $50 fee associated with this, but that would be offset by refunds for the non-sailing guests.  

17 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Isn't the OP a relative of the 18 year old?  I think she would be his aunt, so why even go the guardian route?

OP, can you substitute another cruiser for the mom (either you or someone else cruising with your party), because the rule is ONE name on the room has to stay the same, and then cancel the other person/people who are willing to cruise?  I think there may be a $50 fee associated with this, but that would be offset by refunds for the non-sailing guests.  

this is what I was looking for . I was wondering if this was an option, I am waiting for carnival to call me back. I couldn't stay on hold

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, ray98 said:

As above....18 is not an issue as long as you are willing to be his guardian.  The issue will be he does not own the reservation and the financially responsible person will not be a guest.  I think only Carnival can answer this question.

It also matters how far away the cabins are from each other