Separate Trip or Yearly Travel Insurance

Darcy03231

11 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

A drawback to the trip cancellation coverage from credit cards is that there is no pre-existing conditions coverage.

Just to be clear on this, at least for the two Chase cards I am most familiar with (Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve):

• Unlike many insurance plans, there is no waiver of pre-existing conditions
  • The Chase cards define pre-existing conditions with a 60 day lookback period. So you are covered unless "medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the initial deposit or booking date . . ."
  • Unlike many insurance plans, the Chase 60 day lookback period applies not only to "You
    or Your Traveling Companion", but also to "Your Immediate Family Member or the
    Immediate Family Member of Your Traveling Companion"

So, in certain cases you will be OK with credit card cancellation coverage, but the language is much more restrictive than that in many insurance plans.

Most insurance has many limitations & requirements.  There have been some quite expensive "failure to do so -  instances recalled here on CC by those who had purchased full travel insurance but were denied. 

I've yet to use the Cancellation option - after almost 30 yrs of travel - & the card covers only $10,000.00 for a current booked $12,000.00 trip - but having spent 10's of thousands of dollars on travel insurance, I wouldn't cover the lesser amounts this way if I didn't feel I could afford to do so.

But you are correct, be sure you are comfortable with what the card (as with all insurance) 'might' cover - as long as you follow their rules.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 12:39 PM, nini said:

I'd like to find an annual plan as I have Primary Medical / Evacuation coverage with my Medicare Advantage Plan - BUT virtually none cover WA residents.  Any suggestions from WA residents?

So I took the plunge & booked a 94 day cruise.  Because of the cost & # of days, I asked my travel agent to get my former Travel Insured Int'l plan through USAA (Chase CC only has any coverage up to 60 Days).  

My agent got back to me & said that Travel Insured Int'l in UNABLE to insure any WASHINGTON STATE residents beyond 80 days! 

And thus far I have only found 1, other than the cruise line itself, that may insure me.   So how do any WA State residents stake World cruises??

32 minutes ago, ljones said:

So I took the plunge & booked a 94 day cruise.  Because of the cost & # of days, I asked my travel agent to get my former Travel Insured Int'l plan through USAA (Chase CC only has any coverage up to 60 Days).  

My agent got back to me & said that Travel Insured Int'l in UNABLE to insure any WASHINGTON STATE residents beyond 80 days! 

And thus far I have only found 1, other than the cruise line itself, that may insure me.   So how do any WA State residents stake World cruises??

Thanks for posting. Washington State is getting a raw deal. We also have USAA, however, I am not familiar with the Travel Insured Int'l. What do you think of it, even though it only covers up to 80 days?

16 hours ago, nini said:

We also have USAA,

The insurance has typical coverage - but I've never used it so can't be specific...they all have "fine print".   Also, the older you get, the longer the trip, the More expensive insurance gets.

The Washington State Insurance Commissioner makes providing insurance in WA such a hassle with so many restrictions...  They clearly are NOT protecting consumers who are then left dangling in the wind.  Cruise lines will cover your cruise with mostly inferior coverage.  I do have great Medical Evacuation coverage for "Emergencies" - as long as you remember to CALL and get Approval! 

Have seen similar restrictions in many insurance policies, tho so people should definitely look for that wording in any policy or coverage.

I've used United Health Care's SafeTrip annual plan in the past.  I had priced in last October for a trip we took to Italy last October, but since I'm turning 70 in April and have 4 trips booked this year, I decided to purchase a one-time policy for that trip and wait until before my birthday (after verifying that the coverage amounts would be effective for the 12 month period and wouldn't decrease until my next renewal).  I checked into it today and they are no longer offering annual policies!