Vancouver B2B Cruise Question--Testing

Italy52

I know that our June B2B cruise is months down the road and anything can happen between now and then.  However, there are a couple of things that are causing me concern:  COVID testing getting into Vancouver (coming from the U.S.) and COVID testing returning back to the U.S.  We usually spend a few days pre-cruise in Vancouver but with current testing requirements for the cruise line, it appears that we will not be able to do that.  My understanding is that we need a PCR test to get into Canada that is done at least 72 hours prior to our flight time into Vancouver --- correct?  The cruise line requires a PCR or Rapid Antigen test to be done 2 days prior to boarding the ship --- correct?  I am seriously hoping that changes will occur and we do not need tests as we really love Vancouver but just can't fit it into our plans given the current guidelines.

Any Canadians have suggestions as to how we can remedy the situation.  As it is, we will have to do a Rapid PCR test and it will cost us $299 each. 

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

I know that our June B2B cruise is months down the road and anything can happen between now and then.  However, there are a couple of things that are causing me concern:  COVID testing getting into Vancouver (coming from the U.S.) and COVID testing returning back to the U.S.  We usually spend a few days pre-cruise in Vancouver but with current testing requirements for the cruise line, it appears that we will not be able to do that.  My understanding is that we need a PCR test to get into Canada that is done at least 72 hours prior to our flight time into Vancouver --- correct?  The cruise line requires a PCR or Rapid Antigen test to be done 2 days prior to boarding the ship --- correct?  I am seriously hoping that changes will occur and we do not need tests as we really love Vancouver but just can't fit it into our plans given the current guidelines.

Any Canadians have suggestions as to how we can remedy the situation.  As it is, we will have to do a Rapid PCR test and it will cost us $299 each. 

Afffirmative, at present Canada still requires a negative PCR test to enter. However, that may change by the summer of 2022, as many are trying to have the requirement eliminated.

The PCR/Antigen test 48 hrs before boarding is a US CDC requirement. The only requirement I read for cruise pax boarding in Canada is that all pax must be fully vaccinated. However, because the cruise sails in US Waters, the cruise lines must also follow the US CDC requirements. Hopefully they will also have relaxed those requirements by then.

The rapid PCR is available downtown, or at least it was a number of months ago, as our son got one before returning to Germany. You are correct on the cost, as he paid about CAN $ 300.

Hopefully we are back to somewhat closer to a new normal by next summer and you can enjoy a few days in Vancouver.

53 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Afffirmative, at present Canada still requires a negative PCR test to enter. However, that may change by the summer of 2022, as many are trying to have the requirement eliminated.

The PCR/Antigen test 48 hrs before boarding is a US CDC requirement. The only requirement I read for cruise pax boarding in Canada is that all pax must be fully vaccinated. However, because the cruise sails in US Waters, the cruise lines must also follow the US CDC requirements. Hopefully they will also have relaxed those requirements by then.

The rapid PCR is available downtown, or at least it was a number of months ago, as our son got one before returning to Germany. You are correct on the cost, as he paid about CAN $ 300.

Hopefully we are back to somewhat closer to a new normal by next summer and you can enjoy a few days in Vancouver.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  Our cruise will be in June of 22 and I am keeping a close eye on all the travel requirements mandated by the CDC, Canada and the cruise lines.  It's getting exhausting and I know I am not alone in my thinking.  We had to miss Canada last year and we were really bummed.  We have many fond memories of cruising out of Vancouver and wish to continue making more.  Thanks again for your post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...