Miami Metro - Luggage Friendly?

IRMO12HD

I'll be arriving in Miami the morning of November 28 (a Sunday).  Am still deciding on which hotel I want to stay at.  One of those is the Intercontinental.  I like taking public transportation where possible, and will have one 25" suitcase (with wheels) and a backpack.  Is the MetroRail from MIA to downtown Miami luggage friendly?  I doubt it will be terribly busy on a Sunday morning, so I'm not as concerned about crowds, but am curious as to whether people use it routinely with luggage?

2 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

A thought. In a city that one is not familiar with, perhaps not good to signal you are from out of town. Maybe I am overly cautious living in NYC ... but best to be cautious when traveling. 

Good thoughts. But the light rail runs to the airport. Isn't it supposed to transport people arriving at the airport?

• Like 1

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Yep. In my case, just with carry on luggage, but the cars are wide open, luggage is no problem.

Thanks!  That was what I was concerned about.  On the Seattle trains, there are some luggage racks, and some areas that are easier than others to hold onto a larger suitcase.  

On 10/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, IRMO12HD said:

Thanks!  That was what I was concerned about.  On the Seattle trains, there are some luggage racks, and some areas that are easier than others to hold onto a larger suitcase.  

There are no luggage racks on Miami Metro trains but there is plenty of room by the doors to keep luggage and on a Sunday morning, few passengers. You'll hardly be the only passenger bringing suitcases with you.

If you're staying at the IC, get off MetroRail at Government Center and then switch over to the free MetroMover trains. There you'd get on an Omni Loop train which moves in a counterclockwise direction around downtown and get off at Bayfront Park station. From there the IC is a short walk towards the bay.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

There are no luggage racks on Miami Metro trains but there is plenty of room by the doors to keep luggage and on a Sunday morning, few passengers. You'll hardly be the only passenger bringing suitcases with you.

If you're staying at the IC, get off MetroRail at Government Center and then switch over to the free MetroMover trains. There you'd get on an Omni Loop train which moves in a counterclockwise direction around downtown and get off at Bayfront Park station. From there the IC is a short walk towards the bay.

Wow, thank you, @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH for the great directions!  I've been "studying" the Miami Dade website, but you set it out so clearly :-)

• Like 1