6 night Magic vs. 5 night Joy

beckzay

We’ve never been to Bermuda before, or sailed NCL. We’re looking at both the 6 night carnival magic (2 overnights) and the 5 night NCL Joy (1 overnight). Both out of NYC. We’re drinkers so after purchasing the carnival drink package that makes the Magic about $400 more expensive because the Joy includes drinks. I’m leaning towards the Joy but I just wanted to get others opinions first before I bit the bullet. TIA!

3 minutes ago, beckzay said:

We’ve never been to Bermuda before, or sailed NCL. We’re looking at both the 6 night carnival magic (2 overnights) and the 5 night NCL Joy (1 overnight). Both out of NYC. We’re drinkers so after purchasing the carnival drink package that makes the Magic about $400 more expensive because the Joy includes drinks. I’m leaning towards the Joy but I just wanted to get others opinions first before I bit the bullet. TIA!

Although I'm anything but a Carnival fan and enjoy cruising on NCL, IMO two overnights in Bermuda is far superior to only one night.

Are you aware that you have to pay a 20% gratuity charge on NCL's "included" drink package? The assumed value of the package is $99 per person per day so the 20% gratuity will come to about $20 per day per person...in other words about $100 per person for the five night cruise.

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Although I'm anything but a Carnival fan and enjoy cruising on NCL, IMO two overnights in Bermuda is far superior to only one night.

Are you aware that you have to pay a 20% gratuity charge on NCL's "included" drink package? The assumed value of the package is $99 per person per day so the 20% gratuity will come to about $20 per day per person...in other words about $100 per person for the five night cruise.

And as a side note, I know this won’t be our only time to Bermuda because we live in New England so this is an easy drive. This trip is specifically to get back on a ship for some ocean time 🙂

On 10/24/2021 at 7:25 PM, njhorseman said:

I'm with you here-- would much rather my time on the island be a bit more leisurely and the second overnight does that. 

On 10/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, beckzay said:

We’re looking at both the 6 night carnival magic (2 overnights) and the 5 night NCL Joy (1 overnight).

The other thing too is that you are getting an extra night for your vacation overall for the $400. Comparing a 6 night vs a 5 night on total cost isn't exactly fair. It sounds like per diem they are very similar to each other cost wise. 5 nights isn't very long-- why not spend an extra night on vacation?

8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm with you here-- would much rather my time on the island be a bit more leisurely and the second overnight does that. 

The other thing too is that you are getting an extra night for your vacation overall for the $400. Comparing a 6 night vs a 5 night on total cost isn't exactly fair. It sounds like per diem they are very similar to each other cost wise. 5 nights isn't very long-- why not spend an extra night on vacation?

Good point. You’re right, I didn’t consider the difference in price to account for the extra night.