Passport card

25 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

I have a current passport book, and realize I should have gotten a passport card as well.  I am having a hard time with the passport site in determining how I just get a passport card, as I already have a current passport book.  Any one do this?

If you already have the book why would you need the card?

• Like 1

My understanding is that a passport card is only good when driving across the border from Canada or Mexico.   Not sure why you'd spend the money unless that's the only thing you do.  Can't use to fly from any foreign country. 

• Like 1

You can apply for a passport card by sending in your current passport with the application (do it when you have time and do not need your passport in the near future).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

The passport card is valid for domestic travel and anywhere a Real ID is required. It is also valid for entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. It is good to have as an alternate form of ID but it is not necessary to have or as useful as a passport book.

FWIW I use my passport card instead of my driver license. Up until recently my driver license was not Real ID compliant (I got a new one that is). Also, the passport card does not show my home address. Once I was going through security at Logan Airport in Boston and they had a large monitor showing everyone's ID cards to the TSA agents as they were scanned. It was easy to turn my head around and see everyone's IDs with name and address after I was cleared through. No need to share more info with the public than necessary, but this is a personal preference. For $30 it is worth having it as an alternate form of ID.

Edited by Pratique
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Or, and here's a really crazy idea I know... You could just TAKE YOUR PASSPORT.

Not on a snorkel excursion.  Too many things that could go wrong.  If I really did run into trouble an embassy would be good with a copy, vs. nothing.

23 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

Not on a snorkel excursion.  Too many things that could go wrong.  If I really did run into trouble an embassy would be good with a copy, vs. nothing.

Snorkeling, Scuba diving, ATV rides.... I've never not taken my passport.  Put it in a bag in a backpack or whatever and you're fine.

1 hour ago, WindinmySails said:

I was thinking it would be good to have in port, but I guess at this time, I'll just take a copy of my passport to take with me to port, as a "just in case".

A passport card is only good for land crossing to Canada and Mexico (unsure about Mexico). Any cruising up do, flights, counsuler assistance you might need, etc all require the full book. The cards are designed for people who live near the border and spend a lot of time going back and forth. 

looks like it could be used for sea crossings to the Caribbean but not Bermuda?  Anyways, everything you need is here:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/passports/how-a-passport-can-help-you-fly-domestically.html

Edited by jakeil7
  • Thanks 2