Speed and bandwidth of Wifi on Regent Splendor

Captainlyle

The idea of walking round scanning for the strongest wifi signal is foolish unless you have a defective phone/tablet/laptop. The restriction slowing everything down is not the wifi link, it is the satellite link.

As for VPN, I have used them on board and the statement that they are only effective if the desired site blocks Regent is completely wrong. Regent, or rather their provider, blocks ceratin types of traffic, aka packets. It can block swathes of services based on packet inspection, a VPN overcomes this.

However the blocks are there for a reason - to stop the ignorant, or selfish, from hogging the bandwidth thus denying service to others.

Just look at the size of photos that some post online from the ship, many in the many Mbs.  Either ignorant or selfish.

4 hours ago, Jonoro7 said:

The idea of walking round scanning for the strongest wifi signal is foolish unless you have a defective phone/tablet/laptop. The restriction slowing everything down is not the wifi link, it is the satellite link.

As for VPN, I have used them on board and the statement that they are only effective if the desired site blocks Regent is completely wrong. Regent, or rather their provider, blocks ceratin types of traffic, aka packets. It can block swathes of services based on packet inspection, a VPN overcomes this.

However the blocks are there for a reason - to stop the ignorant, or selfish, from hogging the bandwidth thus denying service to others.

Just look at the size of photos that some post online from the ship, many in the many Mbs.  Either ignorant or selfish.

I disagree...the connection speed varies wildly based on your location on board as there are many metal bulkheads and obstructions. 

The restriction slowing everything down is the limited bandwidth contract Regent has with their satellite provider, not the actual satellite connection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonoro7 said:

Just look at the size of photos that some post online from the ship, many in the many Mbs. 

How can you tell the size of the photo that someone has posted?  When I upload a photo from home on the Test Forum, no matter how large the photo is, it appears to be downsized to 1000 px large side, and in the order of 100 Kb or so.

9 hours ago, Jonoro7 said:

The idea of walking round scanning for the strongest wifi signal is foolish unless you have a defective phone/tablet/laptop.

This is not correct.

On Mariner in December we initially had the frustration of not being able to connect to the internet effectively when in our suite but could get acceptable service elsewhere on the ship.

After a few days of "constructive criticism", the fault was traced to the repeater servicing our suite. Once this bit of kit was reset, no further issues 🙂

PS: Most Regent guests are not 'foolish' or 'ignorant'. Some, however,  are occasionally frustrated by the internet service available on Regent ships.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 2

Does anyone have recent experience with the cost of adding one device?  I understand one is included (in F1) and you can alternate devices, but I'd like to know the charge for allowing two simultaneous connections.  I searched but couldn't find the answer.  Thanks everyone!

6 hours ago, tijc52 said:

Does anyone have recent experience with the cost of adding one device?  I understand one is included (in F1) and you can alternate devices, but I'd like to know the charge for allowing two simultaneous connections.  I searched but couldn't find the answer.  Thanks everyone!

I believe it is $29.99 per day. Depending upon the length of the cruise and the fare differential between F1 and E, it may be worthwhile to upgrade to a Concierge class suite. Concierge Suites get four simultaneous device connections and also get you a pre-cruise one night hotel stay or a hotel credit.

Dave