CRUISE CLOTHING

Elephant1151

I have been reading on another site concerns now Debenhams and House of Fraser are no longer on the High Street where to buy new cruise wear.  Surely we should be considering all options as I am aware most people do.  We do not necessarily have to go into a store,  consider Facebook Marketplace and Ebay there are lots of new items for sale. I have bought several evening dresses this way and been delighted with them.  When I no longer want them  I have them cleaned and I relist, this is one of my actions to save the planet.  I have  bought Phase Eight Collection 8, Issa and Jacques Vert amongst others at a fraction of their retail price.

A friend who went on a one off voyage rented her evening wear as she knew her husband could never be persuaded to cruise.

Well, I am still wearing the same long black dress I bought for my first QE2 cruise in 1997. Seems to have got slightly shorter, though. 😀 But clothes bore me, so I am much more concerned about conforming to the dress code (easy) than the demands of fashion.

• Like 3

Vinted has become my go to evening wear buying app. 

I've bought Autograph by M&S and BooHoo.

I also sell on there and Ebay which helps my cruise fund. 

Another good source are charity shops especially in more shall we say affluent areas 😉 got a beautiful Jasper Conran dress for £12.  Wow. 

Hth 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Typo

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

Vinted has become my go to evening wear buying app. 

I've bought Autograph by M&S and BooHoo.

I also sell on there and Ebay which helps my cruise fund. 

Another good source are charity shops especially in more shall we say affluent areas 😉 got a beautiful Jasper Conran dress for £12.  Wow. 

Hth 

I just checked out vinted.  Looks like there are some really good finds there.  thanks.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:47 AM, Elephant1151 said:

I have been reading on another site concerns now Debenhams and House of Fraser are no longer on the High Street where to buy new cruise wear.  Surely we should be considering all options as I am aware most people do.  We do not necessarily have to go into a store,  consider Facebook Marketplace and Ebay there are lots of new items for sale. I have bought several evening dresses this way and been delighted with them.  When I no longer want them  I have them cleaned and I relist, this is one of my actions to save the planet.  I have  bought Phase Eight Collection 8, Issa and Jacques Vert amongst others at a fraction of their retail price.

A friend who went on a one off voyage rented her evening wear as she knew her husband could never be persuaded to cruise.

Off-topic, but just what does it mean to say "on the High Street"?  I know it's a British term, but I'm not sure if it means a common place where everyone shops (like Walmart or Target for us Americans) or if it means exclusive shops.  Doesn't affect my life in the least, but I'm curious.  

I'll second the idea of using Ebay.  Most all my clothes are purchased used -- cheaper, better for the earth too. 

For anyone who's not skilled at buying used, I'd suggest going through your closet and picking out a couple name brands that you really like /that fit you well.  Instead of searching through the (literally) millions of things available, search for those name brands and your size.  For example, last fall I bought a pair of low-rise skinny jeans /Lauren Conrad brand (which I think is sold at Kohls) that fit like a dream.  Since then I have bought the same brand /size in olive green pants and white shorts ... knowing the brand and size makes it easy to get a perfect fit.  

On 10/29/2021 at 7:10 AM, exlondoner said:

... Seems to have got slightly shorter, though ... 

That'd be okay for me, as I'm slightly shorter too. 

Seriously, I know people "shrink" with age, but I didn't think it would happen so soon -- I know I "looked up to" my grandmother when I was a young adult, and by the time she died I was "looking down on her" -- and I mean that literally, not metaphorically.  I'm 56 years old, and the doctor says I'm no longer 5' tall!  How did this happen?  

Edited by Mum2Mercury