Pre-Cruise Hotel in LA

Smartipantz

We will be cruising March 18th on the Navigator out of LA.  It will be my 80-yr old Mom, my two grandkids (9 and 8 yrs) and myself and just flying in the day before so won't be sightseeing.  It's been such a long time that I've cruised out of LA, I'm unfamiliar with the hotels in the area of the Port.  It would be bonus if there were restaurants within walking distance.  Double bonus if they have a shuttle to the port.  Do you have any recommendations?  Anyone stay at the Crown Plaza?

Edited by Smartipantz

We just stayed at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for two nights at the end of September before our Panama Canal cruise. Hotel was clean and staff was friendly. Housekeeping was minimal (we already expected this), but we had no problems getting extra towels, coffee, etc. Ice machines were not working, We did not eat at the restaurant. We didn’t want to pay for the over-charged breakfast, so just ate our snacks or had an early lunch.

Location was great! We walked to the Green Onion Mexican Restaurant about a block away for dinner one night and ordered take-out from there the next night. Plenty of restaurants in the area. We were going to eat at one place for lunch, but it was full, so went to a little Italian place for a sandwich. I know there were more restaurants/cafes walking just a little farther away. 

We walked to the USS Iowa for a tour and it was a very easy walk. Since the ship was docked right behind the Iowa we walked to the ship the next day, too. We just had to walk a little further and through the nearly empty parking lot. It was about a 15 minute walk with a small backpack and rolling luggage. We probably met 2 or 3 people on the sidewalk. Nice leisurely stroll. I don’t think there is a shuttle. We saw other cruisers waiting for a cab to the port and I’m sure we checked our luggage before they did. Not sure what their cab cost them, but we enjoyed the free walk.

Shirley

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heymarco said:

This forum is dedicated to the Royal Carribean product. I think the forum you are looking for is West Coast Departures. Cheers.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

I am confused. I thought I was reading the West coast departures, unless the moderators moved it?! (I never read the R.C. product). Happy cruising!

FYI, both the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree offer a shuttle service to the San Pedro port. I was there this morning and saw shuttles from both hotels. Now that multiple cruise lines are back on the Mexican Riviera routes, there's plenty of demand!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

I am confused. I thought I was reading the West coast departures, unless the moderators moved it?! (I never read the R.C. product). Happy cruising!

Another Host moved this thread to the correct forum at 9:57 AM today.

• Like 1

We are on the Majestic Princess right now--left yesterday from San Pedro.  We stayed Friday night at the Crowne Plaza.  We've also stayed at the Doubletree before.  (Even though we live just over an hour from port, we like to get here early and make everything completely stress-free).  I endorse both of those hotels, but, based on what you wrote, I would recommend, for you, the Crowne Plaza.

'

They have a shuttle to the port that used to be free...but, now, they charge $5 per person each way.  We have walked to the pier from the CP before...it's an easy walk--about three blocks and flat with only one major street to cross...but, in your case, with an 80 year old, just take the shuttle.

It is EXTREMELY close and walkable to several restaurants...Friday, we had lunch at the Green Onion...and Dinner at San Pedro Brewing Co.  Both are very reasonably priced and very good food...and both are LESS than a block from the CP.  Green Onion is, basically, acros the street to the East and San Pedro Brewing is midway down the next block to the west.  There are also a couple of other restaurants in the direction of the SPBC plus a "Subway"...but my favorites are the two we usually eat at.  The two item combos at Green Onion are $10.95 each and are so large, ours each came on two plates! (I had the Enchilada and Taco with refried beans and rice...both with shredded beef, my wife had the same but with a cheese enchilada and a ground beef taco--she couldn't finish hers and I could barely--left some beans on the plate).  Service is great.  San Pedro Brewing has a very ecclectic menu.  I always get the Tri-Tip sandwich ($14.95 with fries)...My wife had the Tri-Tip dinner-$18.95, IIRC--with a larger portion of tri-tip and two sides.  They also have a lot of other varied dishes, sandwiches and salads. SPBC also has outdoor tables...if the weather's good, they're quite nice.

The hotel is several stories high with a bar (beer and wine--they gave us two complimentary drinks for being registered in the IHG rewards program), restaurant, gift shop, pool...Our room was sppacious and nice--though some of the furniture was a little worn in places--but not that notieable...The room had a mini-fridge a microwave and a Keurig coffee maker.  They are currently planning a redecoration project for the lobby and public spaces.  We were on the 8th floor...

Good luck...and have fun...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, Smartipantz said:

Anyone stay at the Crown Plaza?

Almost everyone 😁 Except those who stay at the DoubleTree.

I think the Crowne Plaza is closer to more restaurants for walking, but the kids might be more charmed by the DoubleTree because of its location and there are some good restaurant close by, just not as many as the CP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Almost everyone 😁 Except those who stay at the DoubleTree.

I think the Crowne Plaza is closer to more restaurants for walking, but the kids might be more charmed by the DoubleTree because of its location and there are some good restaurant close by, just not as many as the CP.

And that hot chocolate chip cookie at checkin :classic_tongue:

• Like 3

We’re doing a princess cruise out of San Pedro in mid February. Just checked the Crowne Plaza and DoubleTree for Reservation pre-cruise, nothing available at Crowne Plaza and a room at the Doubletree is $400. Wow, I didn’t expect this. Any other suggestions?

40 minutes ago, JoRoy218 said:

We’re doing a princess cruise out of San Pedro in mid February. Just checked the Crowne Plaza and DoubleTree for Reservation pre-cruise, nothing available at Crowne Plaza and a room at the Doubletree is $400. Wow, I didn’t expect this. Any other suggestions?

If it is just one night, there is a Best Western Plus San Pedro Hotel & Suites that some people like. I am not a huge fan because of the location. Other than that, Downtown Long Beach is 6 miles away, directly across the LA/LB Harbor from the World Cruise Center and you can look there. Hyatt Centric is my current fave in DTLB.