Booking airfare through NCL - no or go?

Lucky Dude 2101

5 minutes ago, blackbr said:

NCL said they would reduce our balance due by $1,448 if we booked our flights ourselves. We took them up on that to take advantage of these awesome flights I found. I did check with them first. 

LOL of course your balance due would be reduced.  They took off the price of the airfare, which wasn't free, just half-price. And the airport transfers if you didn't request to keep them. That's not the same as reducing your cruise fare - which was what you asked - they are separate line items.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Guys, we did the free airfare and it’s turned out to be a disaster. They are flying us into Montreal three hours away from our port which is Quebec. What can we do? We are in charge of finding our own transportation, they said we can only use their transportation if we fly in the day the boat leaves and regardless, it’s too late to change anything. I called NCL and they won’t change anything. They said anything within five hours is OK by them – OMG. She told me we can’t change the tickets and they get released 72 hours before but that’s really cutting it close and not really sure what that means. Has anybody ever tried to change the ticket that close and do you have any idea what the value of the tickets are? I have been unable to find any of this information. We are thinking of just buying separate tickets. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AC in DC said:

Guys, we did the free airfare and it’s turned out to be a disaster. They are flying us into Montreal three hours away from our port which is Quebec. What can we do? We are in charge of finding our own transportation, they said we can only use their transportation if we fly in the day the boat leaves and regardless, it’s too late to change anything. I called NCL and they won’t change anything. They said anything within five hours is OK by them – OMG. She told me we can’t change the tickets and they get released 72 hours before but that’s really cutting it close and not really sure what that means. Has anybody ever tried to change the ticket that close and do you have any idea what the value of the tickets are? I have been unable to find any of this information. We are thinking of just buying separate tickets. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Exactly why I chose to end my cruise in Quebec LOL. No they will not do anything, as the Montreal option is clearly spelled out in the terms of the BOGO deal.

Releasing the tickets at 72 hours means that NCL no longer has any connection to the tickets and any issues or changes are between you and the airline. Have you looked to see what your flight options are? Flights to Quebec are sporadic at best, it's entirely possible that there aren't any appropriate flights the day you want to fly - depends on your location.

Also be advised that if you cancel (or are a no-show) on your inbound flight, your outbound flight(s) may also be cancelled, if they are linked under the same ID number.

Edited by julig22

Thanks yes we are aware. If we do not take the flight the return flight will be canceled. My question was has anyone ever gone to the airline 72 hours before canceled the ticket and asked for a credit? I called them to ask how much the ticket was worth and they had no idea.

reply to second comment NCL says they cannot make any changes and we do not have a transfer with them because it can only be done on the day of the cruise. We are flying in the day before.

29 minutes ago, AC in DC said:

Thanks yes we are aware. If we do not take the flight the return flight will be canceled. My question was has anyone ever gone to the airline 72 hours before canceled the ticket and asked for a credit? I called them to ask how much the ticket was worth and they had no idea.

reply to second comment NCL says they cannot make any changes and we do not have a transfer with them because it can only be done on the day of the cruise. We are flying in the day before.

If the airline were to issue a credit, it would probably be issued to NCL since they bought the ticket. So you might be able to get an exchange but don't count on a credit.

As to getting a transfer through NCL, yes they might allow it if you talk to the right person. I've done it many times.

We’ve called three times and each time the same answer there is no transportation unless it is the day the boat leaves. We are also told regardless it’s too late to make any changes. I believe at this point we’re going to buy our own tickets into Quebec and home from Boston.

since they release the tickets 72 hours before we’re hoping they will be released in our name and we can get some sort of credit to reimburse ourselves. Fingers crossed. 

Lesson Learned,  I can’t believe they did not fly us in to the port we are leaving from and consider an airport 3 hrs away with no transportation OK. This will be my last cruise with NCL.  This is not an airline issue, but 100% an NCL issue.

Edited by AC in DC

30 minutes ago, AC in DC said:

Lesson Learned,  I can’t believe they did not fly us in to the port we are leaving from and consider an airport 3 hrs away with no transportation OK. This will be my last cruise with NCL.  This is not an airline issue, but 100% an NCL issue.

image.png.2eb74f93efa78416768c056c8787c946.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AC in DC said:

We’ve called three times and each time the same answer there is no transportation unless it is the day the boat leaves. We are also told regardless it’s too late to make any changes. I believe at this point we’re going to buy our own tickets into Quebec and home from Boston.

since they release the tickets 72 hours before we’re hoping they will be released in our name and we can get some sort of credit to reimburse ourselves. Fingers crossed. 

There is almost no chance you will get a credit, and if you did it would be alot less than you paid.  NCL sells the BOGO rates using the cheapest possible ticket option they can find - which is certainly non-refundable and would be more expensive to change.  I don't think the "released" at 72 hours means you would have any more options with the airline - it would just mean that the airline would deal with you directly.  

We had a similar type of deal with a vacation package.  The price was bundled so we couldn't assess exactly how much the air tickets were worth.  Our outbound flight was cancelled.  After sitting on hold with support they agreed to cancel and refund our first ticket (so we could book it with someone else) and still let us return on the second ticket.  The value of the first ticket that they gave us credit for was so low that it wasn't worth the time spend on hold with them.  Since the price was bundled we didn't have anything to argue with them over. 

7 hours ago, AC in DC said:

It’s really very easy. Spend the night Montreal, then go back to the airport the next morning and take NCL transfers to Quebec City. People do that all the time with. O problem at all. I have done it more than once and never had an issue. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the idea we thought of that as well, but as mentioned above, NCL said we cannot take transportation the next day, they will not pick us up. They will only take people who fly in that day.

2 hours ago, AC in DC said:

Thanks for the idea we thought of that as well, but as mentioned above, NCL said we cannot take transportation the next day, they will not pick us up. They will only take people who fly in that day.

They always say that, and I’ve never seen it enforced. If you can book the transfer they will,take you, but you have to get to the pickup location at the airport on time, not a minute late. 

Thanks, but we’re not gonna risk it. We’re just gonna buy other tickets. When  we spoke to NCL about this they said they have a list of names of people who are coming in on flights that day and our name will not be on the list, so we can’t get on. In addition, they will not add the transfer, they said it’s too late.  If we were to try this and couldn’t get on the bus, we’d be in big trouble since it’s the day of departure and we’re three hours away.

PS We actually had the transfer added when we bought the tickets but when we asked to fly in the day before they removed it. 

Edited by AC in DC

7 hours ago, AC in DC said:

Thanks, but we’re not gonna risk it. We’re just gonna buy other tickets. When  we spoke to NCL about this they said they have a list of names of people who are coming in on flights that day and our name will not be on the list, so we can’t get on. In addition, they will not add the transfer, they said it’s too late.  If we were to try this and couldn’t get on the bus, we’d be in big trouble since it’s the day of departure and we’re three hours away.

PS We actually had the transfer added when we bought the tickets but when we asked to fly in the day before they removed it. 

I was worried about the same thing, so after researching options.I decided it was easier and cheaper to rent a car in Montreal drive to Quebec and return the car at Quebec same day. Just a suggestion.