Which ports are not considered as "closed-loop"? Or, how do I get a new passport stamp after a cruise?

cjsegninir

Hello cruise friends,

This question might look rather odd, as one of the beauties of cruising is exactly the opposite, not needing to do immigration, visas, passports, etc.

However, in my case, I need to get a new stamp on my passport.

Making the story short, we are in the US with a working visa, but the current stamp was dependent on the passport expiration, instead of the visa expiry. Now that we got the passport renewed, we need to leave and come back to get a new stamp and i94 (Yes, I know I can apply to extend it from within the country, but it takes several months and considerable paperwork, so it is easy just to travel).

I could take a short flight anywhere and come back within a couple days, but why not make it a vacation? And if I'm taking a vacation, why not cruising? 🙂

So, which ports/itineraries I could book in order to go through immigration?

Thanks a lot for your insight!

Cheers

Every cruise will go through immigration when re-entering the US.  The agent who glances at your ID or waves you through is immigration.  Based on the information in their database on you, and the documentation you provide at check in, they may want to secondary screen you at disembarkation, or you may need to talk to the agent and request a new stamp.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer.

On our last cruise from Galveston (To Bahamas), when we returned we only went through Carnival's Smile-and-go thingy. There was an immigration agent standing nearby, and I did ask him, but he said that since it was a closed loop cruise, we would not get a new i94. 

That's the reason for my question here

3 minutes ago, cjsegninir said:

Thanks for the answer.

On our last cruise from Galveston (To Bahamas), when we returned we only went through Carnival's Smile-and-go thingy. There was an immigration agent standing nearby, and I did ask him, but he said that since it was a closed loop cruise, we would not get a new i94. 

That's the reason for my question here

Okay, that deals with "closed loop" cruises as opposed to "open jaw" cruises.  It is not the ports of call, but whether the ship starts and ends at the same port.  If it starts and ends at the same port, it is a "closed loop" cruise, regardless of any ports of call in between, and the main immigration screening is done during the cruise based on the provided documentation.  If a cruise starts at one port and ends at another port, it is not a "closed loop", and therefore CBP does different screening at disembarkation.  It appears that the agents at Galveston were not set up to access the database to give you a I94.  

So, to answer your question, a "non-closed loop" cruise, that would likely get you an I94 stamp, would have to start in a foreign country and end in the US.  The only other option would be a cruise that starts in the US, and goes to a "distant" foreign port, and then ends in a different US port.  The closest "distant" ports are in South America (Cartagena, Colombia), or the "ABC" islands (Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao).  Note that even a cruise that calls at one of these "distant" ports but returns to the original embarkation port for disembarkation would be a closed loop.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:29 AM, Essiesmom said:

Take one of the cruises that sails from Nassau.  EM

Thanks, this is a good idea. Do you know which cruise lines allow this?

Canada is not an option because my wife needs a Canadian visa

1 hour ago, cjsegninir said:

Thanks, this is a good idea. Do you know which cruise lines allow this?

Canada is not an option because my wife needs a Canadian visa

Crystal, Royal Caribbean.  But it looks like that option is ending.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

It might be prudent to reconsider leaving the US with your expired I 94 just to get a current I 94 stamp.  The safer route might be to submit the paperwork (even though it may take several months),  and vacation somewhere in the US to avoid any possible chance of being considered 'out of status' by a Customs & Border Protection Officer.

I have had job responsibilities of looking at passengers' passports & visas, and an important part of that is making sure that the foreign traveler will be allowed to re-enter the US.  While it is possible that the airport/cruise agent looking at your travel documents and will just see that your visa is still current, a CBP Officer may look deeper and may see your expired I 94 in a negative light.  I am not sure if traveling outside the US without a current/valid I 94 is worth the risk.

• Like 1