Upgrades? (Newbie)

leitmotif

I was reading something here recently about rates changing and carnival refunding the difference to you and also some folks getting deals on a cabin upgrade. I checked with my cruise booker agent person a couple of times in the last few months and they said there was nothing.

So, this time I called carnival direct and the CSR had no idea what I was talking about. Am I crazy? Did I misinterpret info? Ideally I’d like to see about an upgrade since my friends will be in Havana Suites and I couldn’t afford that at the time. Thank you.

We received a $14 refund, back to our credit card, from Carnival and were advised, by others on this board, that it was more than likely due to the port fees changing since our itinerary changed.

We also received an OBC for $50 each, the price difference, when our rates dropped a couple months ago. We use a travel agent outside of Carnival and when I checked with him last week, I was told we still have the best rate for our category. I have not received a cabin upgrade and don't know how they determine who gets those.

People who book early saver get price protection so if their cruise price goes down they can get their price reduced.  Sometimes (rarely) you may get a call from Carnival to upgrade your cabin before your cruise, this typically comes with a price. However, you shouldn't expect any free upgrades into the Havana area.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, leitmotif said:

Ideally I’d like to see about an upgrade since my friends will be in Havana Suites and I couldn’t afford that at the time. Thank you.

The only way to be sure is to do a mock booking online. If the Havana suite is available and you can now afford it, call in and they will switch you after paying the difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leitmotif said:

I was reading something in the Carnival section recently about rates changing and carnival refunding the difference to you and also some folks getting deals on a cabin upgrade. I checked with my cruise booker agent person a couple of times in the last few months and they said there was nothing.

So, this time I called carnival direct and the CSR had no idea what I was talking about. Am I crazy? Did I misinterpret info? Ideally I’d like to see about an upgrade since my friends will be in Havana Suites and I couldn’t afford that at the time. Thank you.

Rate refunds are available if you booked specific offers on your sail date, some refund, most do not.  You can also lose any extras by changing offers.

Upsells are calls from Carnival to sell you a higher cabin category.  Sometimes it is a deal and sometimes it is not.  These calls are depend on what Carnival needs for your particular sailing.  The calls are not based on your card color or how much they like you.  It is dependent on whether they want to resell your assigned statement or they need it for a reason of their own.  For example, if you are booked into a connecting statement and you are not linked to the second stateroom, they may want to sell both those connecting staterooms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leitmotif said:

cruise booker agent person

Is this a TA?  If so, Carnival is not allowed to speak with you about your booking because  you have a TA.  

I personally never use TA’s because I can pay attention to price matching myself.  I do mock bookings a few times every day or two or if I’m needing a break from work.  Checking “a couple times in the last few months” would likely be fruitless. 

It is possible that Havana cabins may go lower than what your friends paid.  If that happens and you’re ok with the new price, you can pay extra to move there … but through your TA. 

• Like 1

As others have said, if you booked Early Saver, you have price protection.  If the price goes down, you get the difference.  However - you have to be proactive in getting that.  Carnival is not necessarily going to call and tell you there was a price drop.

And prices for cruises are just like the airlines (and gasoline, for that matter)... prices go up and down, without notice, and without any logical reason why.  So you have to be diligent, and check prices often.

The best method for doing that is a "mock" booking..  a price rebate must be for the same category of cabin, typically on the same deck and location  (sometimes deck or location will affect prices).  Also, make certain the new price includes any OBC (On-Board-Credit) you might have gotten on the original booking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I've never gotten the upsell call and tbh I don't see my plain 2 person cabin being in high enough demand that Carnival needs it back lol. I cruise in 10 days and it would be great to get an offer to consider but I won't be holding my breath.

The upsell call I usually get as a fellow solo cabin is for a Spa Interior 2 person.  

Edited by Elaine5715