Substitutions for Key West

bessinfl

4 minutes ago, nocl said:

the state may have tried to make it irrelevant, but the cruise lines are honoring it until a final resolution is found.

Actually they're not. 

The cruise lines have been asking the city to sign off on the CDC required paperwork per the CSO and the city has been refusing.  Not wanting to run afoul of the CSO, the cruise lines have gone elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, D C said:

Actually they're not. 

The cruise lines have been asking the city to sign off on the CDC required paperwork per the CSO and the city has been refusing.  Not wanting to run afoul of the CSO, the cruise lines have gone elsewhere. 

Not according to the key west newspaper. Which indicated that the city stopped doing that over concern of being sued. They interviewed they port manager and his response was that the cruise lines were waiting until it was resolved. That they did not want to create more of a problem.

19 minutes ago, nocl said:

Not according to the key west newspaper. Which indicated that the city stopped doing that over concern of being sued. They interviewed they port manager and his response was that the cruise lines were waiting until it was resolved. That they did not want to create more of a problem.

Have a link? I've been following the situation, but haven't seen that. 

13 minutes ago, D C said:

Have a link? I've been following the situation, but haven't seen that. 

was in an article about a month or two back. away from home boarding a ship tomorrow so don't have access to what I have saved at home.

9 minutes ago, nocl said:

was in an article about a month or two back. away from home boarding a ship tomorrow so don't have access to what I have saved at home.

Boarding tomorrow? Enjoy! 

I'll have to check the exact dates, but allegations were made against the mayor and city council within the past month about their unwillingness to approve the CDC paperwork being extralegal.  Haven't seen anything to the contrary in the meantime. 

48 minutes ago, D C said:

Boarding tomorrow? Enjoy! 

I'll have to check the exact dates, but allegations were made against the mayor and city council within the past month about their unwillingness to approve the CDC paperwork being extralegal.  Haven't seen anything to the contrary in the meantime. 

Look at current news in the last 2 to 3 days. They give a good run down on current status. The city has control over two of the piers and are limiting access to smaller ship sizes.

The 3rd dock is privately owned and the city has stated that they do not have control over that pier. That is where the larger ship docked though with limited passenger load which put it below the passenger limit. There were some welcoming the ships, some were protesting the ships. The larger one provided quite the muddy water trail that was recorded by drone and not necessarily good pr for the cruise lines.

Considering that they have to deal with covid, not surprising lines not wanting the pr, even though they could call at the private dock.

Edited by nocl

We just gave up trying to get to Key West on a cruise ship. We are leaving tomorrow via Delta to spend 5 nights in Key West and Marathon Key. We already have reservations with Fury for parasailing on Tuesday. We will take in the Christmas lights and Mallory Square without having to worry about when the ship leaves. On to the Conch Republic !!!

4 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We just gave up trying to get to Key West on a cruise ship. We are leaving tomorrow via Delta to spend 5 nights in Key West and Marathon Key. We already have reservations with Fury for parasailing on Tuesday. We will take in the Christmas lights and Mallory Square without having to worry about when the ship leaves. On to the Conch Republic !!!

Enjoy! 

We spent several days there this past March in lieu of what would have been a cruise.  Off for a week in marathon not long after Xmas. 

9 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Where are you staying Marathon? Bluegreen?

Family is split between a couple of airbnbs near the Vaca Cut, a little east of the airport.

Where are you in KW? We were at the Wicker Guesthouse on Duval. Great location.

Edited by D C

On 12/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, D C said:

I don't believe that the Caymans ever thought there was a reliance on cruise ships.  They're one of the richest nations on the planet.  Ships are just *more* money for them. 

I don't know, the following article seems to imply they don't want as much cruise ship tourism. 

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

I don't know, the following article seems to imply they don't want as much cruise ship tourism. 

Originally they were going to build a dock to accommodate larger ships. This was after the cruise lines told them that tendering was not practical for larger ships. During Covid they decided that they did not need or want larger ships and more cruise ship passengers. Consequently they terminated the project.

Will be interesting to see if they just go back  like it was, or if they apply any other limits.

The list is growing of places applying limits in one fashion or another. The unfettered growth of ships and number of passengers is getting pushback, especially in some of the more unique places.