Carnival Legend 11/28 Sailing live...

IntrepidFromDC

We just stepped off the Pride two days ago (last round-trip Baltimore trip) and today I got a nice email from Carnival with some "can't wait to welcome you back onboard" offers.  So I just booked the 11/28 Carnival Legend cruise.  I also just sent in the shareholder OBC request and immediately got the "we're working on it" autoreply.  The last two cruises (9/12 and 10/24) it took about a week to get the approval.  There are multiple threads about being denied the shareholder OBC recently and more than just the OP said they were denied, so that'll be the first thing that'll bring this trip report closer to life. 

We have been on The Pride five times (all Baltimore to Bahamas) and The Legend three times (Seattle to Alaska/Canada). Although The Legend is new to Baltimore it IS a sister ship of The Pride so those who have cruised on The Pride will feel at home (sans-David).  Lido and Promenade decks are nearly identical from the deck plans down to the placement and names of the restaurants and bars (Lido), for example.

We always take uber to Port of Baltimore because it's only 35 miles away.  After reporting on the shareholder OBC experience I'll report on testing at CVS (last two were flawless).  During the cruise I intend to post photos and comments of things I didn't focus on as much in the recent two cruises since they are sister ships and same port.  For example, on the 9/12 cruise I posted copious notes and photos of the embarkation process so on this thread I'll be brief.  Of the three ports we'll be visiting I'm most excited about Half Moon Cay, my favorite beach.

We've never done three cruises in three months before so we're both (I cruise with my daughter always and friends sometimes) really excited.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 4

@IntrepidFromDC This ain't cool dude. You're just gloating and rubbing it in while we're down in the salt mines. I cruised Legend to Alaska in 2016.  Covid 19 came before I was able to get around to cruising again.

I've got a hat trick lined up: Horizon 12/26-12/31; Vista 3/26-4/2; and Valor B2B 7/25-8/4. I had a free cabin on Glory 10/17 but had to cancel.

• Haha 7

We enjoyed your recent Pride review and were surprised that the Aft cabin didn’t work for your daughter. We only book Aft standard balconies, specifically those located close to the suites and extended balconies. We’ve cruised on the Pride seven times and we will miss her, but we’ll head out on the Legend in early 2022, so we look forward to your upcoming review. We were on the Legend once before and we left from N.Y., so it’s a pleasure leaving from Baltimore.

I make a point to bring along Bonine every time we cruise. My first experience on a cruise, was a crossing from Southampton to Phila. on the QE2 years ago where we ran into some rocky seas and I was “under the weather” for at least two days and swore I would never set foot on a ship again. Now, 26 cruises later, I don’t leave home without Bonine even though I have my sea legs and don’t need it, I don’t want to take any chances. Maybe your daughter can bring that along.

• Thanks 1

There are a couple threads about the email Carnival sent November cruisers today, saying that on a first-come-first-serve basis, they'll have $100 covid tests available, but they hope cruisers use other testing sites first so that only those in need will use this service.  We got the email since we cruise November 28 and although CVS has been great for our September and October cruises, it's comforting to know there's another option just in case something changes and DC CVS's become like the others in other communities, where they've cancelled tests. I think it's great Carnival offers the service and great they say people should try other tests first.  I think it shows Carnival is not trying to  nickel and dime us but just save people from the cancelled Walgreen's and CVS test appointments, etc.  Why? Because my tests at CVS have been fast, results delivered in 30 minutes, and free.  Bravo, Carnival, for providing a Plan B or C.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 5

We were in Baltimore this past weekend and saw the Pride.  It was a sight for sore eyes.  We also cruise out there often.(about a 4 to 5 hour drive)  Probably 6 times on the Pride.  We were on the Legend back in 2012 out of Tampa and we will be on the sailing after yours and we booked a aft facing extended balcony.  Looking forward to your review.  We are also going to try CVS.  I've checked in our area and seems there are plenty of slots available.  Walgreens is an option, too.  I can't wait to eat at the steakhouse.  Of course since 2012 the Legend has had the updates to Guys, etc.  This will be our 2nd cruise since cruising resumed.  We were on the Horizon in August. While it was great being on a cruise ship again, Horizon was not our favorite.  The Spirit class is still our #1 choice. Happy cruising.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

Yup, ditto on that.  I hear we'll be the first cruise since dry dock.  Yes? No? 

That is correct, the first cruise for Legend since cruising stopped. I do expect there will be rough spots in the service as the crew learns to work together. I also expect that this will not impact our cruise at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, surfone said:

We were in Baltimore this past weekend and saw the Pride.  It was a sight for sore eyes.  We also cruise out there often.(about a 4 to 5 hour drive)  Probably 6 times on the Pride.  We were on the Legend back in 2012 out of Tampa and we will be on the sailing after yours and we booked a aft facing extended balcony.  Looking forward to your review.  We are also going to try CVS.  I've checked in our area and seems there are plenty of slots available.  Walgreens is an option, too.  I can't wait to eat at the steakhouse.  Of course since 2012 the Legend has had the updates to Guys, etc.  This will be our 2nd cruise since cruising resumed.  We were on the Horizon in August. While it was great being on a cruise ship again, Horizon was not our favorite.  The Spirit class is still our #1 choice. Happy cruising.

Thanks for the happy wishes, and I hope yours is lots of fun as well.  If you board early we'll wave our sad "make way for the new kings and queens" wave to you as we debark. 😁 🏴‍☠️ I haven't sailed on Mardi Gras yet, but I think Spirit Class will become second favorite after I do.  Legend also has the new paint job, whereas Pride does not.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2021 at 6:26 AM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Thanks for the happy wishes, and I hope yours is lots of fun as well.  If you board early we'll wave our sad "make way for the new kings and queens" wave to you as we debark. 😁 🏴‍☠️ I haven't sailed on Mardi Gras yet, but I think Spirit Class will become second favorite after I do.  Legend also has the new paint job, whereas Pride does not.

Hello,  I know you have had good luck with CVS for your covid tests,  We live in VA and have pulled up plenty of time slots, however,  I am confused on the one we should choose,  is it the one that states results in less than 24 hours? or I believe another one said within a few hours.   I am guilty of not viewing the pages and pages of the advice regarding the test but we think CVS will be a good choice.   Thanks again.  Also, did you book the steakhouse for your Legend cruise?  If so ,  can you let us know your thoughts on the food?  TY so much 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, surfone said:

Hello,  I know you have had good luck with CVS for your covid tests,  We live in VA and have pulled up plenty of time slots, however,  I am confused on the one we should choose,  is it the one that states results in less than 24 hours? or I believe another one said within a few hours.   I am guilty of not viewing the pages and pages of the advice regarding the test but we think CVS will be a good choice.   Thanks again.  Also, did you book the steakhouse for your Legend cruise?  If so ,  can you let us know your thoughts on the food?  TY so much 🙂

Carnival's website has a list (link at the top of the homepage) of all the tests they accept.  First, it depends on your vaccination status.  If vaccinated, you want Rapid Antigen.  We got our results by text in about 30 minutes.  We don't book the steakhouse until we board so we can use OBC.  We just got off the Pride twice.  First time was not good.  Last time (October) was fantastic, just like the many experiences we had at Steakhouse pre-covid.  It's a true foodie experience unlike anything else Carnival offers food-wise (including Chef's Table which is very pretty food and presentation, but not top-notch food like Steakhouse).  If you are disappointed in Steakhouse they will refund you the $38.  But you are going to be so tired of MDR-quality food the Steakhouse will have you thinking you died and went to foodie heaven.  Happy cruising.  Have fun.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:06 AM, sparks1093 said:

We'll make sure not to wear Legend out since we cruise in 11 days.

Hoping you will report on everything from embarkation to ship 🙂 when you return. We have sailed Pride many times in past from Baltimore, we have a favorite cabin on this series. The aft deck 4 corner Vista with the huge balcony. This is why we took holiday cruise on Carnival Legend.

This will be our second post Covid cruise, the first being RCL Oasis from Bayonne. It was great though Oasis a bit large for our taste but 50% capacity was nice. We had no problems and enjoyed the first post covid cruise. Biggest tension was getting that darn 2 day before instant test, worrying about getting negative etc but worked out well. RCL was very efficient hopefully Carnival Baltimore will be as well. 

George in NY

20 hours ago, Georgeny said:

Hoping you will report on everything from embarkation to ship 🙂 when you return. We have sailed Pride many times in past from Baltimore, we have a favorite cabin on this series. The aft deck 4 corner Vista with the huge balcony. This is why we took holiday cruise on Carnival Legend.

This will be our second post Covid cruise, the first being RCL Oasis from Bayonne. It was great though Oasis a bit large for our taste but 50% capacity was nice. We had no problems and enjoyed the first post covid cruise. Biggest tension was getting that darn 2 day before instant test, worrying about getting negative etc but worked out well. RCL was very efficient hopefully Carnival Baltimore will be as well. 

George in NY

Will do. I try to write a detailed review after every cruise and this one will be no exception.

• Like 1

Well, I managed to sneak in with the shareholder $100 for our October cruise, but not so lucky this time...

"Dear,

Thank you for submitting your shareholder brokerage statement.

We are unable to process your request and as a valued investor, we trust you understand.  You are currently sailing on a complimentary cruise and the shareholder benefits are not applicable to anyone sailing on a reduced-rate or complimentary basis. Please refer to the Shareholder Benefit attached for your review.

We value your loyalty and hope that you will enjoy a fun and memorable cruise with us.

Regards,

Kenyanita Martin
Guest Admin
Carnival Cruise Line"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes and yes, 4 negative tests. I am 15 minutes away from Legend but we don't board until 130. Time enough for church and to pick up a few things that we forgot. 

Have a fun time!  Interested to hear what you think when you see the fresh paint job for the first time.

• Like 1

Just like with our sailing last month, we just received this alarming email (first pic) and once again went to cruise manager and found all to-do's completed.  See my detailed comments on how bad the experience was with Carnival when this same thing happened for our October cruise (that review is linked in the thread-starter).  Second pic shows there's no place once again for us to complete any to-do's after going to "Manage My Booking."  Alarming last time, just annoying this time.  But others have complained about it so it's probably good to mention in for upcoming cruisers.  Colleen Oliverio, you are not providing a fun experience.

image.png.78b6910f547be7277b07e64d3c0ebfa5.png

On 11/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Have a fun time!  Interested to hear what you think when you see the fresh paint job for the first time.

You'll likely be onboard right now (sorry for the delay in getting back, I paddled as fast as I could) but we loved the new look!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

There are a couple threads about the email Carnival sent November cruisers today, saying that on a first-come-first-serve basis, they'll have $100 covid tests available, but they hope cruisers use other testing sites first so that only those in need will use this service.  We got the email since we cruise November 28 and although CVS has been great for our September and October cruises, it's comforting to know there's another option just in case something changes and DC CVS's become like the others in other communities, where they've cancelled tests. I think it's great Carnival offers the service and great they say people should try other tests first.  I think it shows Carnival is not trying to  nickel and dime us but just save people from the cancelled Walgreen's and CVS test appointments, etc.  Why? Because my tests at CVS have been fast, results delivered in 30 minutes, and free.  Bravo, Carnival, for providing a Plan B or C.

Was the test you had at CVS their rapid test? 

10 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Yes, rapid antigen.  We have another one this Friday for our cruise on Sunday.  Can't wait for first time look at the new blue and white paint job.

For some reason I had it in my head that you were on the cruise after us. It looks a whole lot better in person (and looks good in pictures as well).

• Thanks 1