Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven

Sthrngary

2 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

The Horizon Lounge is new to me but unaware that it has a buffet. Your description sounded like there is a charge. Is that correct? 

The Horizon Lounge is complementary to Haven Guests.  This area is one that I am very excited about.  We are in the DOS just above it so easy to grab a quick snack.

Snthrngary =  I've seen NCL put out coffee and pastries poolside in the morning  which are complementary. Don't mean to belabor the topic, but is the Horizon Lounge buffet more involved than coffee and snacks?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kitty-sail said:

The Horizon Lounge is complementary to Haven Guests.  This area is one that I am very excited about.  We are in the DOS just above it so easy to grab a quick snack.

Snthrngary =  I've seen NCL put out coffee and pastries poolside in the morning  which are complementary. Don't mean to belabor the topic, but is the Horizon Lounge buffet more involved than coffee and snacks?

Yes

11 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Installment #5: "Family Cruise Vacation Journey Document"

Ok, this one you have to take with a "grain of salt".  Remember, "I Have A LOT Of Time On My Hands", lol.  If you choose to download this document, it is in a Microsoft Word Format.  You can alter or change it for your needs. I made it a "template" so other can use it. If your pages change, remember to auto-update the "Table of Contents". 

What is a "Journey Document".  It is a very long, very organized and very detail list of the entire vacation.  Soup to nuts.  I began writing this type of document years ago and have added to it over the years.  It is used as a back up, so it has copies of needed Barcodes, Licenses, Passports, and Covid-19 Vaccine Cards.  It has very specific details on Air, Hotel, Pre-cruise meals, Ground Transportation, Specialty Restaurants, Spa Treatments and Excisions. Each has date and times. 

Because I have a sense of Humor and I have travel with my family before, I also have "Family Rules".  You will love those.  I get asked all the questions two-weeks before the cruise and it gets me mad.  So I plan with this document so I can just send it to any family member when they start asking questions.  I am so crazy, it even has the menu's for the restaurants we have reservations in.

For anyone on the Joy, if you like this kind of thing, you will love this document.  Just part of the posting stream and I thought many of you would enjoy it, if only to make fun of me. 

Cruise well.

NCL_Joy_Family_Journey_Document_template.docx 4.16 MB · 87 downloads

My wife is very detailed with her planning. We were on a cruise last month with her parents, and there were a few…. Issues. She wishes she had written a doc like yours. Her exact quote, hope you get the Friends reference, was “I think he is my lobster.”

Edited by psac
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, psac said:

My wife is very detailed with her planning. We were on a cruise last month with her parents, and there were a few…. Issues. She wishes she had written a doc like yours. Her exact quote, hope you get the Friends reference, was “I think he is my lobster.”

I had to look up the reference to Friends.  So funny.  My family feels the exact opposite.  They are under the impression that, just get on the ship and all will workout.  Be flexible and carefree.  THEN something is not to their liking.  They look at me and say, this is a horrible vacation. 

If I were to be completely truthful.  I do all the prep for me and use them as an excuse.  I just want to know what is going on, so I can have a better then average feel for it.  My flaw in this entire plan is once I get onboard.  I never look at this document again.  That is when I just go with the flow.  The difference is, if I booked an excursion, had a specialty restaurant reservation I go.  If I did not plan it, I make excuses.  

I also love to say these words with a condescending look on my face to my loving family.  When they dare ask me a question the week before a cruise, I say: "Look in the book and leave me alone".  Quite satisfyingly for sure.

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I apologize in advance for posting something that I'm certain is in one of @Sthrngary many explanations of the Haven and its amenities. 

While at Haven pool or sundeck who serves drinks? While I am fully capable of running inside to get a drink and returning the inside bar isn't the same as walking up to a pool bar wet. 

You have also mentioned the butler getting food for you while at the sundeck. Does that mean we just call our butler on the phone and order any lunch item from the Haven menu and he brings it? 

• Like 1

I just went on NCL website to see how many rooms left in the category I have an upgrade bid on and to my surprise they have the cruise leaving on November 26th. I did it multiple times and it comes up the same. Oops this could be a challenge for those booking and find out the dates are wrong. 

9 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I just went on NCL website to see how many rooms left in the category I have an upgrade bid on and to my surprise they have the cruise leaving on November 26th. I did it multiple times and it comes up the same. Oops this could be a challenge for those booking and find out the dates are wrong. 

That same thing happened to the Encore yesterday.  Glitch and they figure it out after an hour or two.

20 minutes ago, kodos said:

I apologize in advance for posting something that I'm certain is in one of @Sthrngary many explanations of the Haven and its amenities. 

While at Haven pool or sundeck who serves drinks? While I am fully capable of running inside to get a drink and returning the inside bar isn't the same as walking up to a pool bar wet. 

You have also mentioned the butler getting food for you while at the sundeck. Does that mean we just call our butler on the phone and order any lunch item from the Haven menu and he brings it? 

This is a grey area.  On some of the larger ships like the Getaway, the Haven Bar and Restaurant is on the same level as the Haven Courtyard.  They have a small area with coffee and a few snacks.  No one really came around to ask if you wanted a drink.  On the Haven Sundeck, rarely would anyone come by.

On that cruise, I asked my butler if he could bring use some drinks to pool and sundeck, he said yes.  We were never charged.  On other ships like Encore, Bliss and Joy; more servers wander these area's.  Not as much as one might like but they come by from time to time.  I usually tip one so they will come back sooner vs. later.

This upcoming trip, I will also ask our butler if he/she can get us drinks in these areas.  I will report back when I know for sure.  

Cruise well everyone.

7 minutes ago, kodos said:

Thanks. I'll be on the Bliss in January and I'm just trying to figure out how best to make use of the Butler. My cabin isn't in the complex so I'm not imagining using them as much for in cabin things. 

Allow me to share a butler story.  My first opportunity at a butler was many years ago on Celebrity.  The butlers was nice.  I did zero study on what a butler will do or not do.  Therefore we basically asked for nothing and hardly saw our butler. After returning, I started researching what a butler can do for you and why they don't sometimes.  

Those articles are all over CruiseCritic.com and Google.  This completely changed my approach.  In this stream is a download of my Journey Document.  Read the section on what butlers will do and not do for you.  Also, I write a note for the butler and give it to them upfront.  It tells about each member of our party and our likes/dislikes.  In the envelope is the butlers tip/gratuity. This information made every single butler from that point forward so much better an experience.

NOTE: My last trip was on Crystal Cruises.  Our butler was a complete Game Changer.  Butlers can make the different for sure. 

9 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Allow me to share a butler story.  My first opportunity at a butler was many years ago on Celebrity.  The butlers was nice.  I did zero study on what a butler will do or not do.  Therefore we basically asked for nothing and hardly saw our butler. After returning, I started researching what a butler can do for you and why they don't sometimes.  

Those articles are all over CruiseCritic.com and Google.  This completely changed my approach.  In this stream is a download of my Journey Document.  Read the section on what butlers will do and not do for you.  Also, I write a note for the butler and give it to them upfront.  It tells about each member of our party and our likes/dislikes.  In the envelope is the butlers tip/gratuity. This information made every single butler from that point forward so much better an experience.

NOTE: My last trip was on Crystal Cruises.  Our butler was a complete Game Changer.  Butlers can make the different for sure. 

My first cruise butler experience was on the Escape in 2017.  From our years of staying at all-inclusive resorts with butlers earlier, I knew what to expect and what they would and would not do.  Needless to say, we did the same thing.  We tipped our butler the first day when he brought us down to our room after going to the Haven Lounge to get settled in.  I gave him a note with what my wife and I liked/disliked and needs and a fat tip to start.  I felt like he was going to be asked to be packed in our luggage and come home with us halfway through the cruise.  We never wanted for anything and knowing our schedule and such for excursions and dining, he was always on point with anything and everything we asked for and even some things we didn't ask for.  I cannot recall his name, but he blew all of our butlers away that we had a resorts previously. 

Additionally, properly trained butlers are the key.  There are some really stringent training and requirements for people to become butlers and become a certified and accredited butler.  I had asked him if he had gone through the training and he said that all butlers on all NCL ships have to be accredited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kodos said:

we were on the Breakaway a month ago, and that setup has the little pool on the same level as the bar, and the inside/outside sundecks on the level above. There had a rotation of four (not all at once) REALLY GOOD servers who roamed the inside/outside sundecks to get drinks. They were ALWAYS available. We made sure to tip all of them at the end of the week because they were awesome. They also had a “pool menu” that was different from the normal Haven lunch menu, it had a burger, chicken Caesar salad wrap, hot dog, etc.  you could order that from the servers as well.  With ships with bigger Havens, more floors, the forward observation lounge, etc, there may be less availability of the servers since they’re covering a larger area, with probably not many more staff. 

I have heard people use their butlers to deliver food out and about (even out at a non-Haven event like Bingo or something like that), but we would never do that, I think that’s a little too much, both in terms of demands on the Butler and also, to be blunt, “hey look at me!”  🙂  but to each their own!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, psac said:

Here is the pool menu from the Breakaway a month ago. Assume it’s the same fleet wide. 

425D6FF6-62A1-4755-A8C0-B065720315F0.thumb.png.583a168e8b118fe2342f25e31ea0f9b7.png

I will have the Ice Cream Sandwich please.  This was cruel and unusual punishment. We have been on a diet for the last three months to go on our upcoming cruise.  This kind of post does not help us. LOL

Thank you and Cruise well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I will have the Ice Cream Sandwich please.  This was cruel and unusual punishment. We have been on a diet for the last three months to go on our upcoming cruise.  This kind of post does not help us. LOL

We didn’t have them, but my mother in law did. She said they were very unusual, not normal ice cream sandwiches, but they were very good.  Ummmm, I mean, she said they were terrible.  😜

Looking forward to your Joy review, since we’ll be sailing on her in May out of NY!

Edited by psac
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:34 AM, Sthrngary said:

Installment #5: "Family Cruise Vacation Journey Document"

This. Is. Perfect. I love the Rules section. My favorite is #1, which I could paraphrase as 'If you feel like complaining, go do it by yourself'. Hear, hear. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 10:33 AM, jx2mom said:

Thank you for taking the time to write this very informative report! It is appreciated.  Where did you purchase your travel insurance from?  Can you share the specific name of the policy you bought?  We are sailing in the Haven on the Joy in July 2022 and I would like to have the extensive Covid coverage.  Thank you.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:19 PM, Sthrngary said:

Installment #2: Pre-Cruise Covid-19 Testing:

Self-Isolation Prior to the Cruise:

Home CVS Covid-19 Testing 3-Days Prior to Cruise:

The challenge is this cruise leaves the Saturday after Thanksgiving and we fly out the Friday after Thanksgiving. This testing is much more for our stress level than for NCL.  NCL. The question on the table is will NCL pay for your quarantining if the test is positive.  My family and I have “Cruise Travel Insurance” that does cover Covid-19, trip interruption and cancellation.  NCL would only pay what the insurance company does not.  My family will do this early Covid-19 test prior to the cruise for our own knowledge. No one wants to be denied access on the day of a cruise that you planned two (2) years ago.    

I would love to know also.  Usually I am on top of the travel insurance,  but with covid it is throwing me off.  

8 minutes ago, rmandmm said:

This. Is. Perfect. I love the Rules section. My favorite is #1, which I could paraphrase as 'If you feel like complaining, go do it by yourself'. Hear, hear. 

My adult daughter told me she would rather have a balcony room then be in the Haven Owners Suite on the Joy.  My son said, the sleep sofa is just fine in the Owners Suite.  They could not be more different. Neither have ever stayed in the Haven and none of us have EVER has a suite like the Deluxe Owners Suite.  No one has taken more then five minutes to help me do anything.  Yet, already I am getting the questions.  Why did you book this excursion or why are we going to this Specialty Restaurant on that night.

Why do we HAVE TO EAT AT CAPITAL GRILLE the night before the cruise (that one got me, I told them to just go to McDonalds, I will be at the Capital Grille).  The first to ask the Million dollar question was my daughter. Are you ready for this, "Dad, when is our cruise???????"  

People think I am completely nuts with my prep.  I do it because I enjoy it and no one cares about our family vacations until we get to the airport.  That is when they want to change everything.  Not this or any other time.  As my document says, "Call your Congressmen".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I would love to know also.  Usually I am on top of the travel insurance,  but with covid it is throwing me off.  

You can buy it from your travel agent or directly from Allianz Global Assistance.  When you go online, look at the prices and coverages.  I usually don't get the Most or least expensive.  I usually do get the trip interruption and cancellation which make it more.  I did have a claim earlier this year and they paid in 15 business days with a direct deposit to my checking account. 

Hope that helps.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, psac said:

we were on the Breakaway a month ago, and that setup has the little pool on the same level as the bar, and the inside/outside sundecks on the level above. There had a rotation of four (not all at once) REALLY GOOD servers who roamed the inside/outside sundecks to get drinks. They were ALWAYS available. We made sure to tip all of them at the end of the week because they were awesome. They also had a “pool menu” that was different from the normal Haven lunch menu, it had a burger, chicken Caesar salad wrap, hot dog, etc.  you could order that from the servers as well.  With ships with bigger Havens, more floors, the forward observation lounge, etc, there may be less availability of the servers since they’re covering a larger area, with probably not many more staff. 

I have heard people use their butlers to deliver food out and about (even out at a non-Haven event like Bingo or something like that), but we would never do that, I think that’s a little too much, both in terms of demands on the Butler and also, to be blunt, “hey look at me!”  🙂  but to each their own!

This has been our experience as well, on Escape, Getaway, Bliss and Epic. While the servers are not always at your side waiting for you to snap your fingers, they make their rounds efficiently and there is no need to call your butler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

We seriously need to cruise together!  Once again,  the EXACT same thought!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

We seriously need to cruise together!  Once again,  the EXACT same thought!

LOL, My wife and children tell me this is my LAST cruise for a while.  Every day I given them "Cruise Facts".  Yesterday it was, "Did you know you could get an ice cream sandwich from the Haven Pool Menu."  

My wife said, not another word about this cruise until we are on the ship.  I don't blame her.  I have been kind of a pain.  My favorite part of cruising is seeing folks experiences on things I have experienced before.  I live to watch people having a good time.  

Selfishly, what I am looking forward to the most is the Cavern Club and the Beatles show.  I love Beatles music.  To have that atmosphere and be a little toasted at the time is my dream. AND Ice Cream Sandwich's.  

Cruise well.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, BSR said:

The ice cream sandwiches are small - more like bite size.  They were ok, nothing special.

lol, My wife and I have been on Keto for months.  We have lost a lot of weight.  So the thought of the Ice Cream Sandwiches is so nice at any size.  My favorite desert however is at dinner.  The round chocolate cake with the vanilla Ice cream is life changing.