Vegan Food On Princess

jdacombe

10 hours ago, chamima said:

Yes, but the "chefs" on cruises are cooking/baking for thousands of people. Not sure they have the freedom or impetus to make something for the tens that might be vegan.

I think they're very careful about life threatening allergies but this isn't that - and my husband is a vegan for his health so we'd be thrilled to have more choices but don't expect them on large cruiselines.

I agree the chefs can't really venture too far.Virtually almost nothing is made from scratch.Now scores of arm chair chefs(suzy homemakers) will disagree. We've seen the Sysco trucks on the piers servicing Celebrity, Princess, & even Oceania.The budget will determine how good the food can be. A talented chef can do surprisingly well even with low quality, wears a poor chef can ruin even the most expensive ingredients.Most Vegan meals come on board prepackaged. Same with Kosher meals.As I said many will disagree, but unless you're in the field(like me) they don't understand.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, rbtan said:

I agree the chefs can't really venture too far.Virtually almost nothing is made from scratch.Now scores of arm chair chefs(suzy homemakers) will disagree. We've seen the Sysco trucks on the piers servicing Celebrity, Princess, & even Oceania.The budget will determine how good the food can be. A talented chef can do surprisingly well even with low quality, wears a poor chef can ruin even the most expensive ingredients.Most Vegan meals come on board prepackaged. Same with Kosher meals.As I said many will disagree, but unless you're in the field(like me) they don't understand.

If they come onboard prepackaged, then I wish they would order some chocolate cupcakes from Rubicon Baker’s. I’m not Vegan but I am dairy free due to a stupid rare FPIES dairy allergy. Our next cruise is 17 days and I crave sweets.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

48 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Of course now I’m doubting myself but I’m almost positive that I’ve had Almond Milk on my other cruises. Is this something new? 

IMG_9563.jpeg

I’ve had almond milk at the IC to lighten my iced coffee.  This was on Caribbean Princess and Sapphire Princess. I’m pretty sure it’s available elsewhere on the ship. 

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I’ve had almond milk at the IC to lighten my iced coffee.  This was on Caribbean Princess and Sapphire Princess. I’m pretty sure it’s available elsewhere on the ship. 

That’s where I used to get it on all the ships I’ve been on. The last ship I was on was the Discovery Princess. I would have it in my iced coffee. Do you think he’s correct and they are no longer carrying it for us? 

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Of course now I’m doubting myself but I’m almost positive that I’ve had Almond Milk on my other cruises. Is this something new? 

IMG_9563.jpeg

That is really disappointing if that's the case: lots of people with dairy allergies also have soya allergies. And rice milk... 🤢

I am going to take my own oat milk I think.

20 hours ago, chamima said:

Yes, but the "chefs" on cruises are cooking/baking for thousands of people. Not sure they have the freedom or impetus to make something for the tens that might be vegan.

I think they're very careful about life threatening allergies but this isn't that - and my husband is a vegan for his health so we'd be thrilled to have more choices but don't expect them on large cruiselines.

We usually cruise with P&O and find their Vegan desset options in particular are great: they usually always have a good choice on the main menu and in buffet (including cake, sorbet and ice cream, various alternative milk etc), and they seem to veganise standard deserts (less so with mains/starters). We haven't been with Princess yet, but I think we may have been spoilt for choice in the past 😬

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

That’s where I used to get it on all the ships I’ve been on. The last ship I was on was the Discovery Princess. I would have it in my iced coffee. Do you think he’s correct and they are no longer carrying it for us? 

I will be boarding Enchanted Princess in 4 weeks and will know for sure. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

That is really disappointing if that's the case: lots of people with dairy allergies also have soya allergies. And rice milk... 🤢

I am going to take my own oat milk I think.

It's possible that's just a disclaimer.

If you have an upcoming cruise what you might do is find a couple of active "Live From ...." threads and ask on there for the poster to find out. It's a simple thing - he or she can just ask any waiter if it's available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BamaVol said:

DH had his cocoa made with almond milk last June on the Sky.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nini said:

DH had his cocoa made with almond milk last June on the Sky.

And I was using it in my iced coffee. I have never had them tell me before that it was not available, so I’m hoping this is not something new and if it is it’s a step in the wrong direction.

• Like 2