Dog sledding, glacier vs on land

Kitty Ellas Mom

I've planned for a long time to take a dog sledding excursion, most likely in Juneau, that is relatively inexpensive and where the dogs pull you on a sled on land, b/c you're not in the snow.  But lately I've wondered if I'm shortchanging myself by not doing the fancy excursion where you take the helicopter up to a glacier and do the dog sledding there.  My main worry is that I don't like any sort of planes and I already have two 10+ flight days there and back.  I don't want to force myself to do another plane, even a short one.  However, I also don't want to miss out on something that is widely considered one of the most fun excursions.  I have no other plans to get into a plane and see Alaska from above, and everyone says that you must see Alaska from a plane.  I also saw that with the glacier dog sledding you're supposed to help guide the dogs and I don't want to do that, I just want to be along for the ride.  I'm also going to Skagway and will end in Anchorage and those seem to be places where you can also do dog sledding.  Cruise is early June.

This is absolutely your decision...However our extended family group of 4 adults & 2 kids have opted to do ( I just don't want to put my family and two small grandkids on a helicopter) Gold Rush Dog Tours in Juneau for our port day in Sept 2022.

Was in Alaska over 6 yrs ago, and did my bucket list of tours. That was one of the best decisions for us.   That whole trip was amazing .  We took a helicopter( they actually weigh you for placement in the helicopter ) up to the glacier and actually were  sledding with the dogs for a few miles in the snow.  and also got to interact  with the puppies there. .  I would do it again in a minute.  

As @Missymo said it is a helicopter that takes you to the top of the glacier.  Guiding or driving the sled dogs is an option; it is not required.  My wife chose to ride the whole time while our daughter and myself took the opportunity to drive the dogs when offered.  Lots of fun.  iI is not the cheapest excursion around but a good bucket list item.  We did it as a DIY excursion and saved some money over the ship excursion.

Stan

On 11/8/2021 at 4:19 PM, travelingman said:

As @Missymo said it is a helicopter that takes you to the top of the glacier.  Guiding or driving the sled dogs is an option; it is not required.  My wife chose to ride the whole time while our daughter and myself took the opportunity to drive the dogs when offered.  Lots of fun.  iI is not the cheapest excursion around but a good bucket list item.  We did it as a DIY excursion and saved some money over the ship excursion.

Stan

Can you tell me who you booked through?  We are going in May and it has always been on my daughter's bucket list to go dog sledding

16 minutes ago, bc_redhead said:

Can you tell me who you booked through?  We are going in May and it has always been on my daughter's bucket list to go dog sledding

I booked through "TEMSCO Skagway Dog Sledding and Glacier Flightseeing" by Helicopter.

TEMSCO also offers Glacier Landing Tours only.

The Dog Sledding and Glacier Flightseeing can also be booked through tour companies.

Stan

14 minutes ago, travelingman said:

I booked through "TEMSCO Skagway Dog Sledding and Glacier Flightseeing" by Helicopter.

TEMSCO also offers Glacier Landing Tours only.

The Dog Sledding and Glacier Flightseeing can also be booked through tour companies.

Stan

Awesome thanks so much. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I've wondered if I'm shortchanging myself by not doing the fancy excursion where you take the helicopter up to a glacier and do the dog sledding there. 

I have not done the on land version, we did the helicopter version though we did it post cruise by staying an extra day in Alaska.

This was pretty much my "I will go to Alaska hunneh if I get to go husky dog sledding..."

The helicopter ride was amazing especially coming down into the camp with all the dogs.

Also had a beautiful sunny day and rode around in the snow with the dogs. We did have a flat tire at one point. Luckily some belly rubs helped.

I think it is much more of a typical experience and I would have been let down if I did not have the full experience by doing the land tour.

One caution I would suggest is do your research on the excursion to make sure they take care of the animals. That to me was the most important part.