On the Splendor, Athens to Miami

Ladys Mom

After many canceled cruises, and one foray on a Crystal cruise, we finally are on our way to Athens.  After packing two plus a carryon pieces of luggage each, we were ready to go.  But first, we needed to get the results of our PCR tests.  They were supposed to come last night.  Nothing.  DH emailed our friend/neighbor who did the tests.  Nothing.  Four am nothing.  Seven am nothing.  Now we are getting nervous because our daughter is picking us up at 7:50 am.  Finally at 7:10 they made it into our email — NEGATIVE.  We can go on the cruise.  Hurray!  Next issue how to get all the luggage to the airline counter.  Easy Peasy.  A porter came along with a cart and brought everything to the United counter.  One good thing about Birmingham, the airport is not crowded.  So we strolled right through TSA PRE.  Now just wait for our flight to ORD and our adventure begins.

Follow us as we travel through Europe and across the Atlantic.

Norma and Mitch

• Like 9

@Ladys Mom take over where we leave off. We are envious, we hope the Piraeus tug drivers don't play silly games but most of all that you have as marvellous time on board this lovely ship as we have had. We will be with you in spirit!

• Like 2

We still are sitting at OHare waiting for our flight to Zurich then Athens.  While traveling we received the same letter from Regent as mountaindoc358.  Hope this doesn’t portend more missed ports.  Back to OHare.  We thought (dumb us) that there would be a nice lounge in the international terminal.  No such luck.  The terminal is undergoing major renovations so all there is, is a Swissport lounge.  Think soda, some alcohol, and Costco packaged snacks. Not bad for an hour, painful for five hours.  Anyway, we board in an hour so things should improve.

• Thanks 1

A little tip if anyone finds themselves heading for the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum whilst in Athens.  Not only will you need your vaccination certificate and your cruise card, as advised by the ship, you will also need a photo id of some sort we discovered today.  Our guide said it's because so many people are "borrowing" vaccination certificates, so they need to do an id check.

Most of our group had drivers licences and so on, but three or four of us (including me) had nothing.  Our guide managed a workaround for us, but I rather wished we had known in advance so we could have gone prepared.

Sadly, it's time to pack.  But that means it must be nearly your turn! 

Norma, I somehow missed the start of your blog. I have been thinking of you guys and so excited that you are about to be on a Regent cruise, albeit almost two years late. May this be a cruise full of new adventures, great friendships and relaxation. I will be anxiously awaiting stories of your cruise. 

All the Italian ports were lost due to Italian rules of not allowing anyone in that had been to Turkey. That would be Sicily, Naples, Rome , and Tuscany. Monte Carlo had been replaced  earlier with Villefranche. Then Mytiline was eliminated after a maritime strike. Wow! The current itinerary is below. Boarding was easy-45 minutes  including 20 minutes wait for Covid test. No self serve- wait staff serves everything including at coffee connection. Great cruise and fabulous ship so far. I’m ecstatic to be back on board Regent after a 2 1/2 year hiatus. 

961AC026-41EE-4F0B-A28F-5E14CC979253.jpeg

D6A24D07-8496-4279-949D-9A97D80A60CF.jpeg

5739F03F-1E3E-4570-97FC-F3336536EF2B.jpeg

92DAE37D-18FE-431D-8E64-7A073769915B.jpeg

Here is hoping that all is OK on the Splendor, we've heard nothing from the author since being at O'Hare, did I miss something?  Is there a different place for the blog?  Just curious and like I said, hope all is well.

9 hours ago, BNguy said:

Here is hoping that all is OK on the Splendor, we've heard nothing from the author since being at O'Hare, did I miss something?  Is there a different place for the blog?  Just curious and like I said, hope all is well.

I got a quick text from Norma (Lady’s Mom)  a couple of days ago. This is a very port intensive cruise and she was planning on posting the next sea day. That should be coming up. She is having a ball and all is well.

• Like 3

Captain Diego Michelozzi is leaving in Nice.  His current Contract is complete.  Captain Serena is replacing him.  I suspect she might be on board since crew are required to quarantine before assuming their duties.  Passports are being distributed to all passengers, irregardless of whether they are disembarking in Barcelona or Miami.

• Like 1

There seems to be several people on this particular cruise since we've seen several posts but nothing about how the cruise is proceeding.  Perhaps one of those people on the cruise could give us how things are going, very interested in how boarding went, how the seas are now that it's started it's trans-atlantic portion, how life is aboard the ship etc.  I ask because when it gets to Miami, it will be my turn to board.  I can't promise a full detailed report on how things go when I'm on board but I will try to post some daily stuff on my first Regent cruise.  Again, sorry to be "pushy" but curious minds want to know.  Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Like 1

684321FD-4250-4D01-A6CB-44795C79CFD2.thumb.jpeg.24d43a4794a2cc6390f6d9db2560c26d.jpegE647DE47-CC1B-4FF5-8A3B-E05C66C48031.thumb.jpeg.e636d16e0eb73edc6d8ff45d567be97c.jpegpu1983DFAD-CE68-4A69-9F2C-74D2EC7C789C.thumb.jpeg.aa92b2851f97e7322fca0054e2eb54c6.jpeg33481CBD-5CBF-4F82-AFC9-9FA86D90FFCB.thumb.jpeg.e03c7551affc0d3b47ef41ff63cbd7e2.jpegI boarded in Athens- very easy- 20 minute wait for the Covid results. 45 minutes from arrival at port to boarding ship. Measures due to covid- no self serve at buffets, masks to be worn at all times except in cabin, in gym , and when eating or drinking. Masks on excursions but we can walk around town on our own. There is a hand washing station at La Veranda but just liquid disinfectant at other venues. No block party and no share tables, although groups may sit together. Internet is slow- ok for browsing but they have an internet package for $10/ day that allows streaming ( can’t stream movies or podcasts with std free internet. Thanksgiving dinner was done very nicely. See photos. Just under 600 people on board, 490 last segment. Lots of itinerary changes at the last minute so be flexible. 

Edited by mountaindoc358

On 11/20/2021 at 2:56 AM, cwbegg said:

Captain Diego Michelozzi is leaving in Nice.  His current Contract is complete.  Captain Serena is replacing him.  I suspect she might be on board since crew are required to quarantine before assuming their duties.  Passports are being distributed to all passengers, irregardless of whether they are disembarking in Barcelona or Miami.

So happy to have Captain Serena on board!!! 💗💞💕😻😻
K &J 

Edited by 1teach53

On 11/20/2021 at 3:56 AM, cwbegg said:

On 11/25/2021 at 5:31 PM, 1teach53 said:

So happy to have Captain Serena on board!!! 💗💞💕😻😻
K &J 

That is good news for us as we are booked in February and hoped to see Captain Serena again. We were on the maiden voyage from Barcelona to Miami (right before everything shut down) and she was captain at that time. Do you know how long she will be on the ship??

On 11/25/2021 at 4:45 PM, mountaindoc358 said:

684321FD-4250-4D01-A6CB-44795C79CFD2.thumb.jpeg.24d43a4794a2cc6390f6d9db2560c26d.jpegE647DE47-CC1B-4FF5-8A3B-E05C66C48031.thumb.jpeg.e636d16e0eb73edc6d8ff45d567be97c.jpegpu1983DFAD-CE68-4A69-9F2C-74D2EC7C789C.thumb.jpeg.aa92b2851f97e7322fca0054e2eb54c6.jpeg33481CBD-5CBF-4F82-AFC9-9FA86D90FFCB.thumb.jpeg.e03c7551affc0d3b47ef41ff63cbd7e2.jpegI boarded in Athens- very easy- 20 minute wait for the Covid results. 45 minutes from arrival at port to boarding ship. Measures due to covid- no self serve at buffets, masks to be worn at all times except in cabin, in gym , and when eating or drinking. Masks on excursions but we can walk around town on our own. There is a hand washing station at La Veranda but just liquid disinfectant at other venues. No block party and no share tables, although groups may sit together. Internet is slow- ok for browsing but they have an internet package for $10/ day that allows streaming ( can’t stream movies or podcasts with std free internet. Thanksgiving dinner was done very nicely. See photos. Just under 600 people on board, 490 last segment. Lots of itinerary changes at the last minute so be flexible. 

Are you able to sit at the bars? I know at one time you were not allowed. I have heard from a passenger on the Explorer and the can sit at the bars.

Mountaindoc358 thanks for all your inputs. Looks  like Ladys  Mom is not doing her blog, good to see how things are when cruising in these difficult times. Hope this new variant doesn’t put  a spanner in the works when you arrive back in Port.