Solo Cabins on the Queen Mary 2

ddgarner1

I never seem to see a solo cabin availability when I book the QM2.  Curious if the cabins are always booked by the time I search or if anyone has had luck finding their availability?  Is there a secret hack to find their availability (Kb particularly)?  I usually end up booking a "normal" cabin and paying double.   TIA

2 hours ago, ddgarner1 said:

I never seem to see a solo cabin availability when I book the QM2.  Curious if the cabins are always booked by the time I search or if anyone has had luck finding their availability?  Is there a secret hack to find their availability (Kb particularly)?  I usually end up booking a "normal" cabin and paying double.   TIA

The single oceanview cabins do tend to sell out pretty quickly.

That said, I was somewhat surprised to see that it wasn't too hard to find some availability for KB single oceanview cabins (on deck 2) for QM2 sailings next year. Most of the 7-night crossings during the second half of 2022 still have some KB cabins available.

It's considerably harder to find availability for KC single oceanview cabins (on deck 3) for QM2 sailings next year. 

It's always the KC cabins that sell out first.    They are up there with some of the best single cabins on any ship, let alone QM2.   For a single cabin - and a fairly recent addition -  they are in a well thought out place (most single cabins on cruise ships tend to be next to a night club, lido deck, either very forward / aft  or on a high traffic corridor).   However, it's not that they're the lowest price, but because the KC cabins are the ones with the huge double port hole windows.    Most of the time, they're sold out (there are only six) either at launch or very close to it.

Hi,

I agree that the solo staterooms on the QM2 are excellent. The rooms are spacious and attractive. Also, the locations are very convenient.

In 2016, I booked an inside stateroom and was upgraded to a solo stateroom on Deck 2. In 2017, I booked an inside stateroom and was upgraded to a solo stateroom on Deck 3. I liked both types of staterooms: the high ceiling in the Deck 2 rooms and the large round windows in the Deck 3 rooms.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Yes, you have to be quick to get them.  As soon as the voyages are released you need to be poised ready to book. 

I did a Norwegian cruise on the QM2 in one of the solo cabins on 3 deck.  The cabin had a huge circular window (like in the Gallery on the other side) and is considerably larger than those on the QE and QV. The cabins are wider than they are deep so you get a huge space for a solo cabin. 

The one thing that would prevent me choosing one on Deck 3 again is that guests leaving the G32 nightclub on the port side of the ship use the corridor with the solo cabins on to get around the Britannia Restaurant.  I was woken every night multiple times by loud voices and doors opening/closing.  

I would try one down on 2 Deck instead.  

Edited by richard_london

• 11 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 11:35 PM, richard_london said:

Yes, you have to be quick to get them.  As soon as the voyages are released you need to be poised ready to book. 

I did a Norwegian cruise on the QM2 in one of the solo cabins on 3 deck.  The cabin had a huge circular window (like in the Gallery on the other side) and is considerably larger than those on the QE and QV. The cabins are wider than they are deep so you get a huge space for a solo cabin. 

The one thing that would prevent me choosing one on Deck 3 again is that guests leaving the G32 nightclub on the port side of the ship use the corridor with the solo cabins on to get around the Britannia Restaurant.  I was woken every night multiple times by loud voices and doors opening/closing.  

I would try one down on 2 Deck instead.  

Having done two TAs this year in a third deck cabin, and having been worried beforehand by your post about the noise, I just wanted to come back and share that there is no problem with noise in the corridor outside the third deck cabin, at all.  Hardly anyone goes down there, day or night.

The cabins are delightful, and with the two large round windows it feels more like a hotel room than a ship’s cabin.  The location is good, with easy access to lifts C and D depending on which way you turn out of your room.

I could occasionally hear noise from the cabins next door at night, but this isn’t unknown wherever on the ship you sleep.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad your experience was better than mine because it has discouraged me from booking one of those cabins again.  I guess it just depends on who your fellow passengers are and how considerate they are when moving between the G32 and their cabins.  I will still avoid as I am a light sleeper and will try one of the cabins on 2 deck.

3 hours ago, richard_london said:

I'm glad your experience was better than mine because it has discouraged me from booking one of those cabins again.  I guess it just depends on who your fellow passengers are and how considerate they are when moving between the G32 and their cabins.  I will still avoid as I am a light sleeper and will try one of the cabins on 2 deck.

Bizarre, since I spent fourteen nights in those cabins and never heard anyone coming down the corridor at all.  With the steps up and down and the fire doors to pull open, it’s not exactly a short cut.

The cabins are magnificent and the two extra-large porthole windows (which magically start cleaning themselves early each morning) are wonderful. If any reader is thinking of nabbing one before they sell out, go for it!  Kudos too for Eric who usually looks after those cabins - a quiet but efficient member of Cunard’s staff who will sort out any issues that you have.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, ddgarner1 said:

Today I phoned up just seconds after bookings opened for summer 2024 and got put through forty minutes later; in that first forty minutes of the booking period, all but one of the KC third deck single cabins on my westbound TA had gone (so I took the last one), and there were just two remaining on the eastbound.

So the answer to your Q is that they go in the first hour!

That said, there has been one KC available on the April 2024 crossing (which has been bookable since last year) for some weeks, so just occasionally it is possible to get lucky.

As a p.s. to my post above, I checked both my crossings online today to confirm the prices, and there is a KC cabin still available on both of them - despite my being told yesterday I was getting the last one!  So I can only assume that some of yesterday's bookings didn't go through, or that people changed their mind and another cabin has become free?