Tampa Hotels near Port of Tampa

NJLVW

Hello all. I am not at all familiar with the Tampa area. Any suggestions as to where to stay near the Port of Tampa. Cruising out of Tampa and would prefer to stay in the area close to the port or close enough to be able to get transportation to the port early in am. It doesn't need to be a shuttle from the hotel. Thank you in advance.

You can Uber or Lyft to the port for about $15-18+ from just about any downtown hotels, or use a taxi for about $25-30.  The two suggested above are within blocks of the hotel.  A bit farther away look at hotels in the Rocky Point area, and close to TPA (Westshore) you will find lots of hotels.

Thank you both so much. I also started to look at places in Tampa. Not sure how close any were from the port or what area they are in. Do you know anything about location for the Hyatt Place Downtown, Westshore, Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay or the Riverwalk? Do not know the areas. Also someone had recommended Ybor City area. Do you know anything about that area? My only other thought is to find transportation company to drive us from Orlando to Tampa port. The company I used to use seems to be out of business. Do you know any company that would do this? 

Thank you again.

Ybor City has one great restaurant (Columbia) and lots of bars - it can get a bit rowdy on the weekends but is close to the port.  Any of the other hotels you suggested would be fine. 

Your best bet getting from Orlando to Tampa is likely a one-way car rental.  Enterprise has a location in Ybor City and will drop you off at the port.  Avis and Hertz had locations very close to the port pre-virus (not sure if they are open), and if you return the car to TPS you are just a short cab or Uber ride from the port.  I am not aware of any regular shuttle company making the Orlando to Tampa trip.  You could try Uber but that would be a long and expensive ride.

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

Ybor City has one great restaurant (Columbia) and lots of bars - it can get a bit rowdy on the weekends but is close to the port.  Any of the other hotels you suggested would be fine. 

Columbia has opened a second restaurant in Ybor just a block away from Colombia...absolutly EXCELLENT Italian with gorgeous decor ....Casa Santo Stefano

2 hours ago, NJLVW said:

Thank you both so much. I also started to look at places in Tampa. Not sure how close any were from the port or what area they are in. Do you know anything about location for the Hyatt Place Downtown, Westshore, Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay or the Riverwalk? Do not know the areas. Also someone had recommended Ybor City area. Do you know anything about that area? My only other thought is to find transportation company to drive us from Orlando to Tampa port. The company I used to use seems to be out of business. Do you know any company that would do this? 

Thank you again.

I would stick more to downtown or Riverwalk...which is really the same...that is closest to the port area. I wouldn't personally pick the Westshore as a stay for a cruise. As far as Ybor....it's not my favorite area but they just did open a beautiful new hotel....if I were to recommend an Ybor hotel this would be the one..Hotel Haya

I appreciate all the answers. Looks like we will just fly into and out of Tampa. Probably most convenient. Will contact a few of the hotels to see if we can get a 1 day available day. It think I will stay away from Ybor City> really just want peacefulness and not rowdy. 

Have never done an uber or lyft so I will look into both of these as well. 

Thank you everyone.. Can not wait to get back on a ship!!!

3 hours ago, NJLVW said:

I appreciate all the answers. Looks like we will just fly into and out of Tampa. Probably most convenient. Will contact a few of the hotels to see if we can get a 1 day available day. It think I will stay away from Ybor City> really just want peacefulness and not rowdy. 

Have never done an uber or lyft so I will look into both of these as well. 

Thank you everyone.. Can not wait to get back on a ship!!!

Several years ago we stayed pre-cruise at Chase Suites in the Rocky Point area, with free airport and port shuttles.  When I am in Tampa for business I stay at the Embassy Suites Westshore. I can highly recommend both hotels - your call! 😎

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate everyone's help. I think I may have it down to 3 places to stay. Any opinions on the Hyatt Place, Grand Hyatt or the Sheraton Riverwalk? When searching it looks like the Hyatt Place is the closest to the port. If I have the address correct. lol  It also looks like it is a new hotel. Not sure if I am reading that correctly. Any other options with opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, NJLVW said:

I appreciate everyone's help. I think I may have it down to 3 places to stay. Any opinions on the Hyatt Place, Grand Hyatt or the Sheraton Riverwalk? When searching it looks like the Hyatt Place is the closest to the port. If I have the address correct. lol  It also looks like it is a new hotel. Not sure if I am reading that correctly. Any other options with opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Yes....Hyatt Place is new. I am not a fan of the Sheraton Riverwalk....it's a bit rundown IMO. I would also check out Marriott Water St and the brand new JW Marriott. You also have Embassy Suites...all located in very close proximity to the port.

A group of us just stayed at the Marriott Water Street in Nov. for our cruise on Celebrity Constellation.  LOVED IT!  It was not inexpensive though. However, an Uber ride was under $10 to the port.   But it would be our first choice.

So I checked out Marriott Water St. No availability for our dates. Kind of crazy coz it is far enough out. Weekend before & after are available. I will keep checking though coz it does look nice. I got in touch with Grand Hyatt. Seems to be quite a way from the port. Will reach out to a few more this week. I think I prefer to be closer to port. I always like to get there early. With the way the embarkation is now not sure how that will all work.  Thank you all I will continue on my research. 

13 hours ago, NJLVW said:

So I checked out Marriott Water St. No availability for our dates. Kind of crazy coz it is far enough out. Weekend before & after are available. I will keep checking though coz it does look nice. I got in touch with Grand Hyatt. Seems to be quite a way from the port. Will reach out to a few more this week. I think I prefer to be closer to port. I always like to get there early. With the way the embarkation is now not sure how that will all work.  Thank you all I will continue on my research. 

Even hotels in Westshore (near TPA) or Rocky Point are only a 10-15 minute Uber ride from the port - you don't need to stay that close to get there early.