Florence to Civitavecchia

Banjo

Any recommendations for limo service from a hotel in central Florence to Civitavecchia  Cruise terminal?

We would require something more than a car being it would be 2 couples with luggage.

Appreciate any suggestions.

15 minutes ago, Banjo said:

Any recommendations for limo service from a hotel in central Florence to Civitavecchia  Cruise terminal?

We would require something more than a car being it would be 2 couples with luggage.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Best to contact the Concierge at your hotel.  
They will know the best and most reliable carriers for your requirements.  

That’s what a Concierge is for and does.

We do this and never been disappointed  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
We do
  • Like 1

Prior to our cancelled cruise we had booked a private trip "Transfer with stops: Florence-Rome with stop in Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio"  the day before and planned to stay in civitavecchia night prior to cruise.  

someday we can reschedule as it looked like a great tour.

• Like 1

We have used Bob's Limos a number of times for transfer from our Rome hotel to ship-side at the cruise port in Civitavecchia.  I believe they would be perfect for what you need.

I notice on their website that they offer long distance transfers from Florence to the Rome area.  There is a web form on this page you can use to contact them with your requirements.

• 3 weeks later...

We were there a couple of weeks ago.  Our hotel in Florence was right across the street from the central train station, so we took the train to Civitavecchia.  There are a couple of different routes.  There's a high speed train to Rome where you transfer to a local to Civitavecchia.  We had a couple of days to explore, so we took a train to Siena, stayed there a couple of days, then rode a train that runs down the coast to Civitavecchia, bypassing Rome and giving you great views of the Mediterranean for the last hour of the ride. There's a city bus that runs from the train station to the port entrance, where you transfer to the port shuttle to reach your ship's pier.  The train is inexpensive, fast, and comfortable, but be sure to make your reservations and purchase your tickets in advance.  Prices can go up for last-minute purchasers if the train starts to fill up.

22 hours ago, uscgmom said:

Looking for Florence hotel recommendations for pre-cruise.

Thanks!

On our recent trip to Italy we stayed at the Grand Hotel Baglioni.  It's just across a plaza from the city's main train station, Firenze Santa Maria Novella, and there is an underground walkway to the station that begins at the hotel's front door.  The hotel has a very nice restaurant on the top floor with spectacular views of the Basillica, the Duomo, and the Palazzo Vecchio.  It's in the heart of the city, within easy walking distance of most of the major sites (and just a block from a laundromat).  Being next to the train station made it easy for us to travel by rail to Siena then on to Civitavecchia.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, The Traveling Man said:

On our recent trip to Italy we stayed at the Grand Hotel Baglioni.  It's just across a plaza from the city's main train station, Firenze Santa Maria Novella, and there is an underground walkway to the station that begins at the hotel's front door.  The hotel has a very nice restaurant on the top floor with spectacular views of the Basillica, the Duomo, and the Palazzo Vecchio.  It's in the heart of the city, within easy walking distance of most of the major sites (and just a block from a laundromat).  Being next to the train station made it easy for us to travel by rail to Siena then on to Civitavecchia.

Thank you!

On 11/30/2021 at 3:19 PM, The Traveling Man said:

We were there a couple of weeks ago.  Our hotel in Florence was right across the street from the central train station, so we took the train to Civitavecchia.  There are a couple of different routes.  There's a high speed train to Rome where you transfer to a local to Civitavecchia.  We had a couple of days to explore, so we took a train to Siena, stayed there a couple of days, then rode a train that runs down the coast to Civitavecchia, bypassing Rome and giving you great views of the Mediterranean for the last hour of the ride. There's a city bus that runs from the train station to the port entrance, where you transfer to the port shuttle to reach your ship's pier.  The train is inexpensive, fast, and comfortable, but be sure to make your reservations and purchase your tickets in advance.  Prices can go up for last-minute purchasers if the train starts to fill up.

Hi Traveling Man, Can you tell me how the train works with cruise luggage? My husband and I will probably have three suitcases between us for a 14 day transatlantic.  Is it easy to store on the train? Get on/off with luggage? Thanks for the help!

15 minutes ago, uscgmom said:

Hi Traveling Man, Can you tell me how the train works with cruise luggage? My husband and I will probably have three suitcases between us for a 14 day transatlantic.  Is it easy to store on the train? Get on/off with luggage? Thanks for the help!

It's a bit of a burden.  You'll probably have to handle your luggage yourself.  There are two or three steps up from the station platform to the rail car.  The way we usually manage it is that my wife gets on board first, then I toss the bags up to her.  Some coaches feature a storage rack near one end of the car for luggage, but on most you'll need to find a spot for your bags near your seat.  Most cars have a luggage rack above the seats, but you probably only will want to store your backpacks or small carry-on bags up there.  There usually are some empty seats, so you sometimes can put your bags on the floor in front of them.  Depending on how the seats are arranged, there may be some back-to-back seats with room for bags between the backs of them.  On some trains, especially the locals, many passengers leave their bags in the alcove near the doors.  When I have had to do that, I usually try to find a seat nearby and keep my eye on our bags for the entire trip, usually getting up and standing next to them when the train pulls into a station so no one can steal our luggage.  It may make it easier for you if you can consolidate your luggage by planning to do laundry during your trip.  You may be able to cut down to just two suitcases or at least reduce their weight or size.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uscgmom said:

Here's the URL for trains in Italy:

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 5:47 PM, uscgmom said:

Looking for Florence hotel recommendations for pre-cruise.

Thanks!

Hotel Santa Maria Novella. Close to train station and walking distance to main Florence sights. Very nice hotel. We had a room overlooking the Piazza, which was very nice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

It's a bit of a burden.  You'll probably have to handle your luggage yourself.  There are two or three steps up from the station platform to the rail car.  The way we usually manage it is that my wife gets on board first, then I toss the bags up to her.  Some coaches feature a storage rack near one end of the car for luggage, but on most you'll need to find a spot for your bags near your seat.  Most cars have a luggage rack above the seats, but you probably only will want to store your backpacks or small carry-on bags up there.  There usually are some empty seats, so you sometimes can put your bags on the floor in front of them.  Depending on how the seats are arranged, there may be some back-to-back seats with room for bags between the backs of them.  On some trains, especially the locals, many passengers leave their bags in the alcove near the doors.  When I have had to do that, I usually try to find a seat nearby and keep my eye on our bags for the entire trip, usually getting up and standing next to them when the train pulls into a station so no one can steal our luggage.  It may make it easier for you if you can consolidate your luggage by planning to do laundry during your trip.  You may be able to cut down to just two suitcases or at least reduce their weight or size.

Thank you so much for the information.  Definitely think consolidating to two suitcases would help.

15 hours ago, rdt10 said:

Hotel Santa Maria Novella. Close to train station and walking distance to main Florence sights. Very nice hotel. We had a room overlooking the Piazza, which was very nice.

This is also a very nice hotel.  The Duomo is a little closer to this hotel than it is to the Grand Hotel Baglioni.  The Hotel Santa Maria Novella, however, is a block or two farther than the Baglioni is from the train station.  It has the advantage of being right next to the Piazza di Santa Maria Novella, where there are many restaurants and bars.  The Baglioni is about a block farther away from the plaza.  We considered staying there, but the spectacular view from the Baglioni's top floor restaurant, the entrance to the underground passage to the train station being right at the Baglioni's front door (think about carrying luggage in the rain), and a laundromat just a block away on Via Sant' Antonino made the Baglioni a better choice for us.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:12 AM, uscgmom said:

Thank you so much for the information.  Definitely think consolidating to two suitcases would help.

Another suggestion that we have done a few times is to pack light but include a small empty duffel bag in our luggage.  That way, if we buy some clothes or souvenirs while traveling we can stuff our clothes that need to be washed into the duffel yet still have room in our suitcase for clean clothes, bottles of wine, or souvenirs.  The duffel can become a carry-on, or at worst you'll only have to deal with an extra bag on your return journey.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We’re are staying in Florence pre cruise and will take the train to civitavecchia. Any concerns about making the trip the same day the ship departs? We were thinking of a 9am train which would get us to Civitavecchia around noon. 

15 hours ago, LINGBER said:

We’re are staying in Florence pre cruise and will take the train to civitavecchia. Any concerns about making the trip the same day the ship departs? We were thinking of a 9am train which would get us to Civitavecchia around noon. 

We have done that before without any problems.

• Like 1