Possible Man Overboard

mcatmcat

We were on the ship.  Glad it was a false alarm but Royal needs to go back to the drawing board on how to account for all the passengers. It was a total unorganized poorly thought out mess. The idea was all passengers to go to level 5 and pass though 4 check in stands in the dining room. The problem is the passengers were going down the stairs and elevators right next to the dining room and all jammed up. People were stuck jammed together in the stairwells for a long time. We only had around 3200 passengers but for 6000 it would be even worse.

My thinking was why not report to your life boat station and hand scan everybody like they did before covid in the drill.

If they need to see your face then buy 2 more of the scanner stands and set all 6 up in the middle of level 5. Have 3 for lines from each direction from the front and back of the ship. You pass through and go out the other direction.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:46 PM, volk904 said:

We were on the ship.  Glad it was a false alarm but Royal needs to go back to the drawing board on how to account for all the passengers. It was a total unorganized poorly thought out mess. The idea was all passengers to go to level 5 and pass though 4 check in stands in the dining room. The problem is the passengers were going down the stairs and elevators right next to the dining room and all jammed up. People were stuck jammed together in the stairwells for a long time. We only had around 3200 passengers but for 6000 it would be even worse.

My thinking was why not report to your life boat station and hand scan everybody like they did before covid in the drill.

If they need to see your face then buy 2 more of the scanner stands and set all 6 up in the middle of level 5. Have 3 for lines from each direction from the front and back of the ship. You pass through and go out the other direction.

I 100% agree it was a nightmare until we got down to the main dining room.  I asked one of the guys standing outside of the dining room why we didn't go to muster stations to check in and said this is better, he was a crew member since he had masks in his hands to give people if needed plus was helping.  They need to go back to the drawing board here since aren't muster stations are designed for emergencies should that have been quicker and better in handling this count since what if this was a real emergency in the end.  

On 11/18/2021 at 1:31 PM, loman said:

We had a jumper on the last night of our Oasis cruise in 2015 . 

He was never found . They looked for hours .

I also was on Independence in 2016 and the kid jumped at night. Searched for hours, Coast Guard, helicopters, other cruise ships helped and we were 3 hours late sailing back into port for debarkation. So sad. I don't think they ever found him either.

Many years ago (I think 1981) I was on a program called Semester at Sea.  We had been on the ship for 99 days of a 100 day cruise.  I was in the dining room, and everything started shaking.  I looked out the window and could see we were turning around.  Turned out a student was sitting on the rail and fell off.  Amazingly, we found him and he only suffered some bruised ribs as I remember.  He said that once he was in the water, it was less than a minute before he could no longer see the ship.  Luckily, people did what we had been told to do and were throwing anything that would float overboard.  That made him much easier to find.