Cozumel Bar Hop Tour...

Liza555

42 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

There is this review. Full disclosure, I did not read it, as I have done the hop already, so I know how good it is. 

Mentioned here frequently, you could search the forum for more mentions.  

Also, very good FB page, if you are on there.

+1

Lots of reviews, unless you have specific questions or concerns.

Edited by c-leg5

• 3 months later...

I'd probably bring at least $50 per person. not knowing how much / what you like to eat or drink. More if you eat or shop a lot. Better to have money left over than to see something you want and be broke.  

It is possible to spend nothing additional, if you are satisfied with the shot glass size samples you get at each stop, and don't plan to eat lunch or tip Coleen (the guide). 

Did it for the first time in December '21. It was okay.  Drink prices were not cheap, neither was the food. Neither were anything special.  Been there, done that.  Would not do it again.

Edited by mac66

6 hours ago, mac66 said:

Did it for the first time in December '21. It was okay.  Drink prices were not cheap, neither was the food. Neither were anything special.  Been there, done that.  Would not do it again.

Sorry you didn’t enjoy. We have enjoyed the Bar Hop and tours round the island with a private driver many times.

Bar Hop is more about a tour around the island without having any concerns about safety, or getting back in time. 

The group you are with can make a big difference to the enjoyment of the tour and unfortunately you cannot pre-determine that part. 

The included drinks are samplers as clearly described on the webpage. Other drinks are at your own cost and normal bar drinks. Prices are not cheap. - these are tourist bars, albeit rustic, and higher costs also because of no electricity and additional costs incurred.

The east (wild) side is very special to us (so long as sargassum isn't a problem) but I realize it isn’t for everyone and it is good there are so many choices for all budgets on Cozumel.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Sorry you didn’t enjoy. We have enjoyed the Bar Hop and tours round the island with a private driver many times.

Bar Hop is more about a tour around the island without having any concerns about safety, or getting back in time. 

The group you are with can make a big difference to the enjoyment of the tour and unfortunately you cannot pre-determine that part. 

The included drinks are samplers as clearly described on the webpage. Other drinks are at your own cost and normal bar drinks. Prices are not cheap. - these are tourist bars, albeit rustic, and higher costs also because of no electricity and additional costs incurred.

The east (wild) side is very special to us (so long as sargassum isn't a problem) but I realize it isn’t for everyone and it is good there are so many choices for all budgets on Cozumel.

We were with family so that wasn't an issue. Frankly while the wild side is interesting the bar hop was kinda boring.   We've been to Coz many times. Rented a jeep, did a private tour/driver (both to the wild side), done the beach resort thing a couple times, went to the national park and snorkeled several times.

We did the secret river tour in Dec '19 which was fantastic. Tried to book it again in Dec '21 but they don't let anyone over 65 on it. We both turned 66 in '21.

Edited by mac66

7 minutes ago, mac66 said:

We were with family so that wasn't an issue. Frankly while the wild side is interesting the bar hop was kinda boring.   We've been to Coz many times. Rented a jeep, did a private tour/driver (both to the wild side), done the beach resort thing a couple times, went to the national park and snorkeled several times.

We did the secret river tour in Dec '19 which was fantastic. Tried to book it again in Dec '21 but they don't let anyone over 65 on it. We both turned 66 in '21.

I have always thought the Bar Hop was a misleading name and that it probably isn’t what some people are expecting. It is literally “bar hopping” but not in a “party” sense.

For a group it is also not the most economical or flexible arrangement, however for one or two people it can be less expensive than a private driver. Also as stated above many people just want the reassurance that they will get back to the ship without having to think about, or organize the trip themselves.

We have done both bar hop and driver many times and enjoy both for different reasons. If we have our own driver we can pick our own locations and control how long we stay. If you had already been round the east side with a private driver I am not sure why you were surprised by the food and drink prices.

Sounds like you like more active excursions. We would only do mainland excursions when staying on the mainland (or perhaps land visits to Cozumel) and have always found plenty to do on the island for the short port hours.

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I have always thought the Bar Hop was a misleading name and that it probably isn’t what some people are expecting. It is literally “bar hopping” but not in a “party” sense.

For a group it is also not the most economical or flexible arrangement, however for one or two people it can be less expensive than a private driver. Also as stated above many people just want the reassurance that they will get back to the ship without having to think about, or organize the trip themselves.

We have done both bar hop and driver many times and enjoy both for different reasons. If we have our own driver we can pick our own locations and control how long we stay. If you had already been round the east side with a private driver I am not sure why you were surprised by the food and drink prices.

Sounds like you like more active excursions. We would only do mainland excursions when staying on the mainland (or perhaps land visits to Cozumel) and have always found plenty to do on the island for the short port hours.

Frankly we only did the Bar Hop because the Secret River Tour (through the ship) canceled us. We had not bar hopped before.  Do the Bar Hop again? Nope.  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. 😉

Edited by mac66