Skipping the Muster Drill

Cinebrat

We were on Vision on 1/15. At the muster drill, our safety leader and the one next to us (the only ones I could hear), kept calling out names and cabin numbers. Seemed there were about 6 cabins between the 2 stations that did not show.

Later that evening, we saw yellow notes on doors (yes, we had to snoop) that told them they were invited to their own special drill, and if that one was unattended - they would be put off in the first port.

Don't know if it was just to scare them or whether they would have actually been put off the ship.

I agree that the muster drill is an inconvenience but I look at it as a necessary evil that I have to put up with before I get to enjoy my cruise. If everyone would show up when they're supposed to (instead of trying to hide), it would probably take half the time!

It takes such a short time to attend and there is really nothing else to do at that time. (the bars are closed). We've even met a few new friends at the drill.

Of course - the safety factor is the reason everyone should attend.

Maybe the OP was joking.

Marci

and.....you can blow your whistle!:rolleyes:

Geez, I hate following rules, but even I see the need to show up for the muster drill!

Imagine a problem in the middle of the night - isn't it worth while having practiced at the beginning of the tirp? Even if you've sailed the same ship before, chances are your muster station is different - and even if it isn't, suck it up and go.

But I have to say I've never been checked off a list on any of my recent trips. Honor system it seemed.

Now I know most of the seasoned cruisers have either done this or have contemplated doing it. I have been on a lot of cruises and after about the first dozen muster drills that I have been on, I started to make a game out of trying to find places to hide. Where are some of your secret places to hide during the drill.

I only have one thing to say on this subject. IF you don't attend the muster drill, and something happens. WE ARE NOT WAITING FOR YOU TO FIND YOUR STATION AND BE SAVED! So I guess you will be like to lower class on the Titanic and go down with the ship! When moments can count do you want to be the stupid person running around trying to find your lifejackets and muster station?

This is my twelth cruise and I attend each and every Muster Drill. I listen and watch how to do anything that will save myself and husband's life (same on a plane) AS every plane is different so is every ship. I also try to make myself familiar with how to lower the boat into the water. I know the crew are supposed to do it, but what if they can't make it. I don't want to be the passenger standing there looking stupid and hoping someone can come by and do it for me! IF you are at our muster station we are lowering the boat and your NOT there we will leave WITHOUT you! It wouldn't be any skin off my nose if you choose to act in a manner which is irresponisble. But by the same token we will act in a manner which will be as responsible and not wait for you.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but in cases where it is a life and death matter nature is harsh and the unprepared or just plain stupid are the ones that die. The people who are prepared and trained are the ones that survive. It's that simple.

IF anyone wants to flame me go ahead.

First let me say that I am not saying don't go. Please go even if it's just to be courteous to your fellow passengers. My family and I go to every one of them and are often the first ones to arrive.

What is the purpose of the lifeboat drill? Please someone tell me what you get out of the lifeboat drill other than where it is located? The way the boat drills are conducted, I find to be a hassle and somewhat dangerous. It is a huge inconvenience especially when traveling with young children. I have seen my share of people trip on the straps being dragged up and down the stairs.

For those of you that believe the cruise lines are deeply concerned for your safety, I hate to tell you they are not. Maybe the cruise line itself is, but certainly not the working crew members. Just do some research on all the incidents over the past 15 years or so. In almost ALL cases, the crew abandoned the passengers and left them to fend for themselves. Many of those crew members in charge of your safety don't even speak English even though they are required to. Someone on this thread mentioned that the life jackets in their cabin had the wrong numbers on them. How difficult is that for the crew to check? The only reason the cruise lines even conduct these boat drills is because it is required by the USCG, and SOLAS. There are huge fines and penalties for those not complying with this requirement. It's not because they are so worried about your safety.

Again, what does one get out of the current muster drill? Really think about it? I can think of 2 things. Where it is located and how to put on a life jacket. I believe there is a lot of useful information that is never mentioned during the drill. As someone mentioned earlier...counting the doors. What about how to operate some of the equipment that might be used during an actual emergency. What if you are unable to get to your muster station? What then? If there was a real emergency, chances are some stations and corridors would be inaccessible. What is your plan B, C or D? How do you launch those inflatable life rafts that are all over the ship? For those that need the lifeboat drill to be able to put on their life jackets, I would be equally concerned about them operating a fire extinguisher without being shown how to do it. How many people know that the lifeboat drill isn't required PRIOR to sailing??? Believe it or not, it's not required until 24 hrs. after sailing. For those that have been on cruises with late night departures or delayed sailings, the life boat drill isn't conducted until the next day. What if that same ship has an emergency at 4 am the first night?

I think that there could be a better, more efficient, more informative and safer way of doing the muster drill. Some ideas are a video that can be watched in your stateroom at your leisure. I know some of you will ask how can your make sure someone watched a video? But how can you make someone pay attention at a boat drill also? A video can cover many more safety items than the current drill and show actual usage and operation of various safety equipment etc. Have a sign in at your muster station where all passengers are required to sign in with their station crew over a 1 or 2 hour period. That would make sure that you know where it is and you can find alternative routes to get there.

My point is this....the current muster drill is simply a box that must be checked each week as far as the cruise line is concerned. If they were really concerned about your safety in the event of an actual emergency, they could start by making sure each cabin has the correct life jackets and crew members be fluent in English. With ships getting bigger and more sophisticated each year, the current muster drill, in my opinion, is a bit out dated.

I

Im going on my 3rd cruise in April and will of course attend the muster drill but Ive gotta ask. How many should a person need to attend? I fly close to 200k airmiles a year. I could recite the preflight safety check by heart. At some point a person should have a say whether they need to attend. I don't care the number you choose, it could be 5, 10, 50 but at some point it should be waived.

"I don't care the number you choose, it could be 5, 10, 50 but at some point it should be waived."

Perhaps it could be a Diamond Plus perk. ;)

That was a typo it should have said 100k a year but yes it could be anything reasonable. At some point it should be waived. I realize because of the safety involved it probably isnt possible, but it does seem a little silly that a person with 20 cruises under their belt needs to attend a muster drill.

I know many of you have been to the drill numerous times, but there may be times when your on a new ship or something and you don't know eveything you think you do. Even if you are familar with that ship, it would be courteous and set a good example for the first timers the same way others did for you on your first cruise.

Photo of DH at Muster Drill in Tigger ears on our Enchantment cruise.:

http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/Cruise2002/Muster_Ears.jpg

We always attend muster and we always listen. Carnival cruise muster into hurricane was scary, they moved our station twice and kept counting and re-counting passengers. I was beginning to wonder how many spots on the lifeboats were actually available. It also lasted close to an hour. Haven't had one like that for many years.

Hi Cruiseknots - I don't necessarily agree with everything you say, but you bring up some really good points. This has been an interesting thread. Better than reading about irons and hair dryers! ;)

All the smuggling of irons is one of the reasons the muster drill is so important. Fire is the biggest enemy on a ship. I agree with alot of what has been said here. If there is a problem its not likely that one could even get back to their room to get their life vest...but the most important thing to remember is its the people who didn't have the etiquette or common sense to show up to the drill who will be the first one on the life boat, pushing and shoving all the way.

Im going on my 3rd cruise in April and will of course attend the muster drill but Ive gotta ask. How many should a person need to attend? I fly close to 200k airmiles a year. I could recite the preflight safety check by heart. At some point a person should have a say whether they need to attend. I don't care the number you choose, it could be 5, 10, 50 but at some point it should be waived.

Wouldn't that make it even more of a hassle, though, for those who do have to attend? They'd end up being there longer while the staff went around and checked off who was there and sorted out who didn't have to be there (because you know darn well there would be screw ups with the list).

Also, like someone else said, even if you've been on 100 cruises, you still need to know where your lifeboat station is. If you sail on a new ship, you'd need to go to the drill to find that out. Even if you're sailing on a ship you've been on before, you never know if things have changed.

In addition to being a safety requirement, I'm sure it's just easier to make everyone comply, rather than trying to separate who had to attend and who doesn't.

Slightly off topic, but can you believe how many people blow their whistles during muster drill. I'm sure they're not cleaned (the whistles that is) between cruises. Do you want to blow a whistle that many other people have had in their mouths? If (God forbid) you end up in the water and need to blow the whistle, you can rinse it off in the ocean first. Seems like a silly point, but I'm always amused by the sound of those little orange tooters!

I'll chime in on the side of those suggesting that everyone show up for the muster on time.

I am a captain for a large international airline that routinely gets trashed (sometimes rightfully so :eek: ) on these boards. Everytime I sit in the back of the airplane in (or out of) uniform I always take a few minutes to put down what I am doing, review the emergency exits and doors on the emergency briefing card and politely pay attention to the flight attendants.

I enjoy seeing the reaction of fellow passengers when they see the captain review the safety briefing cards. Most pick up the card and look at it also. I guess they figure if I'm doing it, they should also. Others remain oblivious.

Please show up for muster on time and pay attention. It may save your life.

After muster, resume partying and have a great cruise!

Dr. Evil :)

:D I love this! A good example and a smart thing to do. My uncles were pilots (single engine), so I grew up flying in small planes and knowing that safety was paramount. Even so, I didn't always read the briefing cards, etc. on commercial flights until about 20 years ago when my DH (he has done some flying and his father is a pilot) reminded me that it's not enough to have read it and paid attention "last flight"; you have to read the aircraft chart and pay attention every flight--it just might save your life. My DH is a smart man.

Ditto with the muster drill. Yes, I loathe it. I can't stand the way the vest feels (no, I'm not stupid enough to blow the whistle; yuck). It's boring, but it sure isn't a waste of time. I want to have an idea where the heck I am supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do once I get there. It's not enough to have done the drill "last cruise"; we need a refresher every cruise.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

Archived