Attention all shipping, new covid varient UK travel restrictions

KBs mum

There is a new covid varient on the loose in Europe and the UK. Travel restrictions from southern Africa in place in the UK. We have gone back to a PCR test for all arrivals with 48 hour minimum isolation until result received. Back to full isolation for positive tests and contacts of omicron varient positive people. Also 10 day mimimum isolation for arrivals from red list (at the moment southern African countries only)

Mandatory mask wearing likely to return. 

www.gov.uk for info

Expect increased restrictions in most European countries. 

Edited by KBs mum

• KBs mum changed the title to Attention all shipping, new covid varient UK travel restrictions

Also 10 days isolation for anyone in contact with anyone diagnosed with the new virus regardless of vaccination status. 
Masks is no change for Scotland as we were still required to wear them 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Indeed, the excrement has hit the air conditioning. 

At the moment we're at Chris Whittie, by tommorow it could be the full J. Van Tam

We have a 16 night Panama cruise booked and due to fly in 5 weeks. The news we need to add 2 additional days on our return has just made the trip impossible.

4 minutes ago, les37b said:

We have a 16 night Panama cruise booked and due to fly in 5 weeks. The news we need to add 2 additional days on our return has just made the trip impossible.

That is the problem with the additional days required to isolate whilst waiting for the PCR result 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
It will be interesting to see how understanding the holiday providers will be! Unfortunately I doubt many will allow cancellation and refund of monies ☹️

Edited by downsmead

20 minutes ago, les37b said:

Throw a sickie? Porton Down may conclude it's not a problem

18 minutes ago, downsmead said:

That is the problem with the additional days required to isolate whilst waiting for the PCR result 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
It will be interesting to see how understanding the holiday providers will be! Unfortunately I doubt many will allow cancellation and refund of monies ☹️

This is where the good travel agents and insurers earn their pennies. Pay peanuts get monkeys. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Throw a sickie? Porton Down may conclude it's not a problem

I can work from home. My wife owns her hairdressing business. She is already fully booked as we effectively will be off for three weeks.

I keep saying.... You are in charge! lol

26 minutes ago, les37b said:

I can work from home. My wife owns her hairdressing business. She is already fully booked as we effectively will be off for three weeks.

I keep saying.... You are in charge! lol

Haven't been to a hairdresser in 38 years. I cut KB's Dad's hair. Neither of us need to work. 

And the rules have changed again  you have to be tested before entry to the UK regardless of vaccination status.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tests-required-before-travel-to-uk-and-nigeria-added-to-red-list

I feel so sorry for cruise lines and travel partners trying to keep track with all of this.

The good news they do say this is a holding approach until they fully assess the Omicron risk so the requirement MIGHT drop again in ten days or so - but thats certainly not guaranteed

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:23 AM, uktog said:

I feel so sorry for cruise lines and travel partners trying to keep track with all of this.

The good news they do say this is a holding approach until they fully assess the Omicron risk so the requirement MIGHT drop again in ten days or so - but thats certainly not guaranteed

Hopefully that also applies to countries being visited. It could be lightened - but OTOH, could tighten and be banned (or shunted about because you visited a country within 10 days now on a red list!)

For me personally, if I were stuck for a few extra days, its no big deal. It would mean any non refundable monies for PCRs etc would be lost and Id have to pay again. Extra Car parking fees etc. Unfortunately my wife cant extend her leave so causing "we cant go" just in case. So I might be sailing solo (but don't tell her I said that!) lol

• Like 1