Another Problem for Canadian Cruisers

Fouremco

Cruise on Royal was excellent. All had a great time and the hassle with air travel was worth it because we had all documentation ready to go.

YUL-FLL (Air Canada) - Downloaded all documents to their website but we still had to wait about 20 minutes in the Air Canada lineup. They want to see copies/scans of all records/tests etc. Stamped with Docs OK on boarding pass. Immigration hall was full (about 30 minutes) but we used Nexus line so through in less than 10 minutes. 

FLL-YUL (Air Canada) So arrived at YUL from FLL last night. At FLL, from check-in to getting through the secure side took about 1 hour. New policies are not in place so my experience may be different. It must be difficult for airlines to keep up.

Before checking bags with Air Canada, they had a document line where you had to show passport, vaccine proof, Covid test results. Your passport was given a sticker with “V” on it. This process took a long time because people were not prepared with all their documentation. Make sure you get a paper copy of your results. Royal gave us copies as well as email results. Royal was organized. I saw a group from Princess who missed or didn’t get on flights because Princess did not send results. Also saw two UK citizens who were transiting through Montreal who were denied boarding because their PCR test would not be valid to go to LHR.

We had TSA pre-check with Nexus through security so no wait.

Landing at YUL - Process from getting off the plane to arrivals area took about an hour. Immigration hall at 8 pm was packed.

Make sure your ArriveCan App is up and ready to show. Before we were allowed in the departure hall, we had to show that we had completed information the ArriveCan App. This created a back up as there was a separate line (no signage) for those without completing ArriveCan. 

Through Immigration Hall in about 20-30 minutes. For those who have Nexus, don’t recommend it unless there is no line up. Going through regular line with many kiosks and agents was faster. Got bags and out the door. 

They (government) random test passengers on arrival. The guy sitting beside me on the plane and a note on his boarding pass to test on arrival. If you have this, it would have added another 30 minutes to the immigration process. The arrivals area has been transformed into a Covid testing centre. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

On a side note, did Royal still offer the PCR test free of charge?  Someone was told by an RCCL representative they contacted via Facebook that Canadians have to pay for the PCR test.  My in-laws did not have to pay 2 weeks ago.

Royal did not charge. We were tested on Day 6 with results that evening. Paper copies were delivered to our stateroom the evening of Day 7. Took about 20 minutes and Royal was organized. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, karebare22 said:

I’d love to hear about your experience on arrival. Our family is flying YUL to FLL on Dec 24 for a Dec 26 B2B cruise on a Royal ship. Making sure I cover and plan for all the recent requirements, which are now slightly different from when we cruised in August. After arriving in Montreal, we need to drive home to Orleans/Ottawa. I think that we will be allowed to drive straight home and isolate for up to 3 days until we get the test results. 

On another note, embarkation and disembarkation was quick on Royal (at least for us). Embarkation took about 40 minutes from door to ship. You will have to show your vaccine and covid test results to get in the building and again to get checked in (so don’t put away documents). Get a purple band to show that you are vaccinated. 

Leaving the ship took 15 minutes! They have a separate line for Canadian passport holders and no one one is in!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just waiting for the day when the US government decides that all cruise passengers need to be tested prior to entering a US port (disembarkment).  I hope not.

Edited by DHP1

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

I'm just waiting for the day when the US government decides that all cruise passengers need to be tested prior to entering a US port (disembarkment).  I hope not.

Someone on my Facebook roll call asked that question (they are American).

It was quite funny as many people started responding, getting worried about testing, etc. The moderator had to pin a post to say the 24 hour testing is only for non Americans.

Just noticed that the govt website has been updated to say coming soon  anyone arriving to Canada by air or land that has been outside either the US or Canada in the last 14 days must have an on arrival test.  Still officially has the old rules but will they be setting up testing centres at all land borders??  I was hoping that this was only going to apply to air travel.  Flying in and out of Buffalo. I wonder if they will address cruises travel specifically.  

12 minutes ago, Barb1963 said:

Does anyone know if Carnival does on board PCR testing for disembarkation for the flights back to Canada?  TIA

Short answer - no.

Long answer - No they do not. You have to do the LAMP test onboard (Switch Health) or get tested at the airport. Airports do PCR testing with results withing an hour so no need to stay later.

That might change but right now they will not do testing.

Now.. I am on a Canadian Carnival cruisers group on Facebook and at least two people mentioned that they got tested on board by asking politely at guest services... they were charged $150 USD.

BUT... I am booking at the Orlando airport for my test.

28 minutes ago, nickiford said:

Just noticed that the govt website has been updated to say coming soon  anyone arriving to Canada by air or land that has been outside either the US or Canada in the last 14 days must have an on arrival test.  Still officially has the old rules but will they be setting up testing centres at all land borders??  I was hoping that this was only going to apply to air travel.  Flying in and out of Buffalo. I wonder if they will address cruises travel specifically.  

They want to test anyone who has been outside Canada and the US. The number who would do so driving is minuscule, some cruisers and a few driving down to Mexico.

13 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Short answer - no.

Long answer - No they do not. You have to do the LAMP test onboard (Switch Health) or get tested at the airport. Airports do PCR testing with results withing an hour so no need to stay later.

That might change but right now they will not do testing.

Now.. I am on a Canadian Carnival cruisers group on Facebook and at least two people mentioned that they got tested on board by asking politely at guest services... they were charged $150 USD.

BUT... I am booking at the Orlando airport for my test.

Thanks for the answering, do you know what the price is for the tests at the airport? I couldn't find it on the MCO website.  I can always ask at Guest services once I am on board  if they would do the test but have the appointment at the airport for back up.  

Edited by Barb1963

5 minutes ago, Barb1963 said:

Thanks for the answering, do you know what the price is for the tests at the airport? I couldn't find it on the MCO website.  I can always ask at Guest services once I am on board  if they would do the test but have the appointment at the airport for back up.  

A simple google search of "Orlando Airport Covid Testing" came up this website:

https://orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/coronavirus-covid-19/

Scroll down and you get this link:

https://centracare.adventhealth.com/urgent-care/covid-19-testing-orlando-international-airport

There you will see FAQs with costs, and a link to book.

The bookings open up 14 days ahead of time.

When are you cruising? I'm on the Dec 26th - Jan 2nd Mardi Gras.

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

They want to test anyone who has been outside Canada and the US. The number who would do so driving is minuscule, some cruisers and a few driving down to Mexico.

We're driving to NJ port near the end of the month for our cruise.

We are assuming by then they'll figure out how to apply the rules to the land border and we will get tested there. We'll have food in our freezer and ensure we can stay at home for a few days (at worst) waiting for results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

So do you think this will include those of us who have been to the Caribbean islands on a cruise as well?

12 minutes ago, Lizzzys said:

So do you think this will include those of us who have been to the Caribbean islands on a cruise as well?

We are planning for this eventuality. Anyone coming from a foreign (Non-US) country -- additional PCR test.

Edited by DHLuCruise

8 hours ago, Lizzzys said:

I would plan for it. The ArriveCan App has three options to choose from on arrival (can’t remember exact wording and it may change) - outside Canada (non-US), US only, or transit through US from other country. We chose transit because we had travelled to 3 countries on the cruise. 

• Like 1

I will need to wait and see how it plays out at the land border.  We come home Sunday and Monday is the family day so hopefully if the test is required they do it when we cross and we would get the results back before we have to return to work on Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chickadees said:

I would plan for it. The ArriveCan App has three options to choose from on arrival (can’t remember exact wording and it may change) - outside Canada (non-US), US only, or transit through US from other country. We chose transit because we had travelled to 3 countries on the cruise. 

But you aren't transiting through the US from another country.

You started in the U.S. and end in the U.S.

We have all figured out the specific language (2 days versus 48 hours for example) mean a lot.

All the information says "flying from the U.S.".