We booked American Melody Mississippi Cruise - now found out vaccines recommended but not required. How to proceed.

maidaweb

We are scheduled on a lower Mississippi cruise end of February for our 55th anniversary; when we originally looked, a vaccine requirement was in place for the cruise and after a few years of staying home, we were very excited for this trip.  However, vaccines are no longer required, although "recommended."   There are protocols in place of course for testing, etc for non-vaccinated, but I am uncomfortable picturing the dining where masks are off. We are completely vaccinated and boosted, but my husband is high risk,  and we are trying to take our time and decide whether to proceed. We have trip insurance, so that's not an issue. Open to thoughts about handling this situation (I know so many lines are requiring it.)  Thanks!

Edited by maidaweb

I would cancel.  I have taken three cruises in Europe since September, so I'm not hiding in my basement.  But it was on a small-ship cruise line that made me feel completely safe by requiring vaccination, testing <72 hours and again at the beginning, testing several times throughout [because of local requirements], taking temps every day, and testing just before flying home.  I would not set foot on a ship that didn't have a 100% vaccination requirement.

• Thanks 1

A few weeks ago we did the lower Mississippi cruise with another couple whose husband had Gillian-Barre from a flu shot a number of years ago and could not be vaccinated.  Everyone was pretty careful about masking but I can see your possible concern.  He provided a negative PCR test prior to arrival in Memphis and everyone was tested negative prior to boarding.  FWIW: Jack in Reno

• Thanks 1

We have done 3 ACL cruises this year, and have not seen any issues on any of them.  ACL screens the vaccination cards, and those who do  not have them have to jump through additional hoops.  With most passengers in their 70s and 80s, general self-interest means all or virtually all would be vaccinated.  (But as to the crew, that's another story.)

I do wish ACL would take just one more little step and say ALL must be vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

@maidawebI understand your concerns. We sailed on American Jazz in July. My fully vaccinated husband was diagnosed with Covid 3 days after we got home.....and spent 6 days in the hospital. We can't say where he got it but felt the protocols on Jazz could have been better. While there was hand sanitizer as you entered the Dining Room there wasn't any in other parts of the boat. Crew wore masks but many of the guests didn't. I saw sanitizing of the tables in the Dining Room inbetween guests but didn't observe it in the lounges. Hopefully it's better onboard now. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your input! We have decided to cancel unless the vaccine requirement is mandated; will wait check back with them in January to see if they have revisited it for 2022. Just makes no sense to me to not have that basic minimal level of protection given the vulnerable population age of most passengers. Will be disappointed for sure if it doesn't work out, but trying to minimize risks. Appreciate your information. @suzyluvs2cruise, so sorry about your husband's illness. Scary I'm sure!

Edited by maidaweb
  • Like 1