Accessibility on P&O Ships going Backwards.

Cpt Pugwash

You would think as time goes by Accessibility would become easier for those with a Disability or Mobility problem on cruise ships, NOT P&O, many of the ships from Britannia down to the smaller ones have Pool Chairs but NOT the 2 newest Iona or Ariva, there taking away facilities for the Disabled and Infirm not adding them.

Should be ashamed of themselves when saying they will make your holiday as enjoyable as possible.

I appreciate you are making a serious point and I am dismayed to hear of it, but when I saw the heading I initially thought this was a novel new sort of cruise being offered for people who like to sit with their back to the engine in trains!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bbtablet said:

I initially thought this was a novel new sort of cruise being offered for people who like to sit with their back to the engine in trains!

I believe Captain Scarlet had a rearwards facing driver's seat in his Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle for the purpose of safety, seatbelt not as important.

I think P&O and many other lines miss out on a lot of opportunities for people with disabilities. The number of disabled access cabins is very few and I think they have cut back on associated infrastructure about the ship consistent with this.  I find it difficult to understand why they do not incorporate more accessible features into standard cabins which are universally usable by all comers. I am thinking of a range of things which would help people who are not wheelchair users but could do with things being a lot more easier to use thus freeing up accessible cabins for people who simply could not manage without.

Regards John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, john watson said:

I believe Captain Scarlet had a rearwards facing driver's seat in his Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle for the purpose of safety, seatbelt not as important.

I think P&O and many other lines miss out on a lot of opportunities for people with disabilities. The number of disabled access cabins is very few and I think they have cut back on associated infrastructure about the ship consistent with this.  I find it difficult to understand why they do not incorporate more accessible features into standard cabins which are universally usable by all comers. I am thinking of a range of things which would help people who are not wheelchair users but could do with things being a lot more easier to use thus freeing up accessible cabins for people who simply could not manage without.

Regards John

As the carer of a wheelchair user I can fully understand the need to limit the number of wheelchair users on cruise ships, if only for the extremely unlikely need to use the lifeboats in an emergency. But as far as general accessibility is concerned I think it has improved considerably over the last 25 years of new builds. The Celebrity Solstice class, also built at the same shipyard as Iona, was a massive improvement over Aurora, also built there but over 20 years ago. All the opening doors in the public areas are automatic, and the public toilets also have auto doors. I am hoping that Iona will be equally as accessible when we sail on her next year.

I think that the title of the thread is perfectly clear, but I’m not sure that I agree with it!

Like terrierjohn I am a carer of a full time wheelchair user (my wife). We have been on all the P&O ships and whilst we love Aurora (especially the large accessible balcony cabins) and our best cruises have been on her, there are some design aspects that are problematic for wheelchair users, such as no automatic doors out on to the promenade deck, stairs mid floor on deck 8 which means that you cannot travel end to end on that deck etc.

On Britannia getting around in a wheelchair is much easier, with none of the above problems. We have yet to go on Iona, but have booked for 2023. We watched a YouTube review of an accessible cabin and my wife was really impressed with some of the additions, in particular the fact that the doors out on to the balcony are now automatic and the wardrobes have long handles that enable a wheelchair user to pull down the top rail for access. The bathroom sinks can also be raised or lowered. 

We prefer the passenger profile and itineraries of the smaller ships but from an accessibility perspective we feel that the newer ships win hands down. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As the carer of a wheelchair user I can fully understand the need to limit the number of wheelchair users on cruise ships, if only for the extremely unlikely need to use the lifeboats in an emergency.

I think you're probably right. I also think it is good that designs are changing for the benefit of making ships as accommodating for everyone as they can be. Planning and deciding that sort of thing must be all but impossible to get "right" - everyone's abilities and needs are different. Would there be enough accessible toilets on board? Enough seating in the theatres? Do all cabins need extra space to navigate around, or only a set number - and at which grades? Are there enough accessible tenders to get to shore for everyone?

A good and necessary job for making those decisions, but I imagine a very hard one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HikingPete said:

I think you're probably right. I also think it is good that designs are changing for the benefit of making ships as accommodating for everyone as they can be. Planning and deciding that sort of thing must be all but impossible to get "right" - everyone's abilities and needs are different. Would there be enough accessible toilets on board? Enough seating in the theatres? Do all cabins need extra space to navigate around, or only a set number - and at which grades? Are there enough accessible tenders to get to shore for everyone?

A good and necessary job for making those decisions, but I imagine a very hard one.

Accessible tenders would be great but none exist on P&O as far as I know. My wife has to remain on board the ship at every tender port, which is a great shame. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Accessible tenders would be great but none exist on P&O as far as I know. My wife has to remain on board the ship at every tender port, which is a great shame. 

If we ever get back to pre covid cruising, then it would be nice if P&O were to install the roll on roll off tender facilities that RCI have on Independence OTS. We were able to go ashore in a shoreside tender in almost the same manner as when the ship is alongside. However Pauline could never pass the step over test, even in the early days when her mobility was a lot better, and no one who is wheelchair dependent could use a ships tender.