Tipping for drinks and food

21 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

As much issue as anyone does in every area of life when purchasing goods from any company. 

Its a mixed bag. I can recognize that Royal hires crew and provides them with employment opportunities that they might not have otherwise in their home countries while ALSO recognize that Royal hiring from these countries is because they can pay lower wages. Which leads to exploitation and unfair wages to the crew. 

But its the same with any company I buy goods and services from. AND my role as a consumer is not to be expected to supplement workers wages through gratuities, especially gratuities that I cannot remove and prepay for service yet to be rendered. 

AND to all the people that would criticize my position and feel that because the crew is underpaid that it is somehow the passengers responsibility to fix it, I would say that I bet that you could care less about the goods you buy from China who engages in a whole litany of Human Rights abuses to their workers and feel no such obligation to them

You don’t like the tipping on cruise ships.  
you don’t like the surveys on a cruise ship 

and you complain about the buffets.    

Why do you even cruise 

you must be miserable on your cruise.  
I bet your a blast at parties too. Lolol.   
#onepersontochangetheworld

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

As much issue as anyone does in every area of life when purchasing goods from any company. 

Its a mixed bag. I can recognize that Royal hires crew and provides them with employment opportunities that they might not have otherwise in their home countries while ALSO recognize that Royal hiring from these countries is because they can pay lower wages. Which leads to exploitation and unfair wages to the crew. 

But its the same with any company I buy goods and services from. AND my role as a consumer is not to be expected to supplement workers wages through gratuities, especially gratuities that I cannot remove and prepay for service yet to be rendered. 

AND to all the people that would criticize my position and feel that because the crew is underpaid that it is somehow the passengers responsibility to fix it, I would say that I bet that you could care less about the goods you buy from China who engages in a whole litany of Human Rights abuses to their workers and feel no such obligation to them

Most all of what you wrote are issues between the employer and employee. Tips are between employees and guests. The cruise line acts as a middle man. Once again, how can you support a company that you don't trust to be honest with you about how they are handling your gratuity payments?

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Most all of what you wrote are issues between the employer and employee. Tips are between employees and guests. The cruise line acts as a middle man. Once again, how can you support a company that you don't trust to be honest with you about how they are handling your gratuity payments?

and one that he thinks is "exploiting" people from poorer countries.  I guess his cruise fare is not contributing to the "exploitation" must have a secret deal going on.  Tip early and tip often!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

You don’t like the tipping on cruise ships.  
you don’t like the surveys on a cruise ship 

and you complain about the buffets.    

Why do you even cruise 

you must be miserable on your cruise.  
I bet your a blast at parties too. Lolol.   
#onepersontochangetheworld

1. No, I dont like prepaid gratuity for service yet to be rendered. They should call it a service charge on Cruise Planner drink packages and buying drinks on the ship because it is not optional OR here is a novel thought...raise the price of a standard cocktail from $13 to $15.34. Saying the price of a drink is $13 is deceptive. 

2. I am just fine with surveys. But not will being pressured to fill them out by 3 different ppl during same meal service time

3. Not sure where the buffet comment came from but they cannot sustain staff serving the buffets when they are back to 100% capacity without affecting guest satisfaction. Nobody is going to get Covid from serving themselves at Buffets.

I cruise to be with lovely people like yourself...of course

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No...its between me and the cruise lines. The cruise line is the one adding a service charge on drinks and calling it a "gratuity". If I want to buy a drink package or drink at a bar on ship, I have no choice but to pay 18% and according to some of you fine folk on this thread, I should feel compelled to tip in addition to the 18% already foisted upon me. 

And again, just like I do business with any other company in my day to day life. Its only the service industry that can get by with below minimum wages and expect their customers to make up the difference in tips. 

6 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

1. No, I dont like prepaid gratuity for service yet to be rendered. They should call it a service charge on Cruise Planner drink packages and buying drinks on the ship because it is not optional OR here is a novel thought...raise the price of a standard cocktail from $13 to $15.34. Saying the price of a drink is $13 is deceptive. 

2. I am just fine with surveys. But not will being pressured to fill them out by 3 different ppl during same meal service time

3. Not sure where the buffet comment came from but they cannot sustain staff serving the buffets when they are back to 100% capacity without affecting guest satisfaction. Nobody is going to get Covid from serving themselves at Buffets.

I cruise to be with lovely people like yourself...of course

Sorry I don’t associate with people who remove the DSC. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

First off, the notion that tips are being kept by the cruise lines and not being passed to crew should not be mentioned unless it's supported by facts.  Someone on Princess as I recall had read through the SEC filings and stated that it clearly looked like a pass thru cost for the cruise lines.  In addition, with the hundreds of thousands of cruise line employees all over the world at any given time and probably as many ex cruise line employees (many of them undoubtedly disgruntled), you'd think someone would have come out in a You Tube video or right here on CC and said "That is BS and we are not getting that money."   Just think for a second before making potentially libelous claims.

As for people who think it's okay to not pay gratuities, I'm sure they're the same folks who feel that their bonuses and/or stock options or whatever other perks they get from their employment is all some sort of entitlement that they've earned yet when it's someone else that is subject to those kinds of arrangements, they take the position of "They're already getting paid a salary.  Blah, blah, blah."  I hope you folks reject any employer compensation beyond your own salaries.  Then I could have respect for your position.

The crew has no idea about the true amount of gratuity collected through cruise planner purchases and other add-on gratuities throughout the ship. All they see is the amount of gratuities given to them on their checks. Maybe if cruise lines were more transparent with how they handle gratuities then there would not be suspicion. The system is ripe for abuse and you are relying on the word of cruise lines that already mistreat their crew

4 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I would be fascinated to know how many people pull their gratuities.  I've no doubt in my mind that it is way more than the few souls who are brave enough to fess up to it on CC.  If I had to fathom a guess, I would say it's probably like 30-40% but who knows.

Whats the shame in admitting you pull gratuities from your bill and just tip as one sees fit?

I hope the % is that high but unfortunately many people dont even know the cruise lines add that to their account on a daily basis and only learn too late or are not aware they can even remove it because the cruise line are deceptive with this fact

1 minute ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Nothing.  That's why I called you brave.  Is that an insult?  Quite frankly, I think it shameful that you pull gratuities.  But I respect that you openly admit it as I suspect the vast majority who pull their tips just don't ever talk about it.

go stand at guest services the last night of the cruise, of course with a gratuity included cocktail in hand, and watch the mad rush of folks removing their gratuities and pay attention to the fever pitch of many practically shouting the reason for doing so.  Funny but in a pathetic way.

29 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Aww...i feel like I am missing out and my life will not be fulfilling without you. 

Your absolutely right. You would be missing out.  

I wouldnt hang out with a cheapskate like your self. 

the good thing is that karma has a way making things right in the end.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

go stand at guest services the last night of the cruise, of course with a gratuity included cocktail in hand, and watch the mad rush of folks removing their gratuities and pay attention to the fever pitch of many practically shouting the reason for doing so.  Funny but in a pathetic way.

Hmmm...on my November cruise, when I removed gratuities on last night, there was no mad rush nor did I hear anybody shouting or in a fever pitch. I just calmly told the guest service agent that I wanted to remove gratuities and she calmly did so. Quick transaction. No gnashing of teeth or fevers happening

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I would have much better things to do on the last night of a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Your absolutely right. You would be missing out.  

I wouldnt hang out with a cheapskate like your self. 

the good thing is that karma has a way making things right in the end.  

You are so kind. Ad hominem name calling. Gotta love it. 

And yes, the cruise lines are in for a good amount of Karma for the way they treat their crew. Glad we agree on Karma

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would have much better things to do on the last night if a cruise.

Seeing it took me only 10 minutes, I was able to do a lot on last night of cruise and what better use of your time to address an unfair business practice.

Edited by UNCFanatik

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

The cruise line is the one adding a service charge on drinks and calling it a "gratuity".

There is a distinct difference in the US between the words "gratuity" and "service charge". A gratuity, even if added to your bill, is optional, in that it may be removed, and must be given to the appropriate staff. A "service charge" is non-optional, may not be removed, and may be kept by the business, even if it is implied it goes to the service staff.

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

No...its between me and the cruise lines. The cruise line is the one adding a service charge on drinks and calling it a "gratuity". If I want to buy a drink package or drink at a bar on ship, I have no choice but to pay 18% and according to some of you fine folk on this thread, I should feel compelled to tip in addition to the 18% already foisted upon me. 

And again, just like I do business with any other company in my day to day life. Its only the service industry that can get by with below minimum wages and expect their customers to make up the difference in tips. 

If you buy a drink on the ship you have no choice but to pay the 18%. It can't be removed just like when you buy the package. So I just really don't see the big deal. You say your issue is that you are paying a gratiity for a service you have not yet received. When you buy a package you are also paying for drinks that you have not yet received. What am I missing here?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Seeing it took me only 10 minutes, I was able to do a lot on last night of cruise and what better use of your time to address an unfair business practice.

I meant I would have much better things to do than stand around watching what is happening at guest services.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you buy a drink on the ship you have no choice but to pay the 18%. It can't be removed just like when you buy the package. So I just really don't see the big deal. You say your issue is that you are paying a gratiity for a service you have not yet received. When you buy a package you are also paying for drinks that you have not yet received. What am I missing here?

Oh I know. My point is just call it a service fee and be done with it. Why pretend a mixed drink costs $13 when its actually $15.34. And why advertise drink package at lets say $58/day when its actually its $68.44/day. Just be upfront. Call it a service fee but not gratuity. 

9 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Hmmm...on my November cruise, when I removed gratuities on last night, there was no mad rush nor did I hear anybody shouting or in a fever pitch. I just calmly told the guest service agent that I wanted to remove gratuities and she calmly did so. Quick transaction. No gnashing of teeth or fevers happening

Oh so you do wait until the last night to have them removed this way the hardworking crew don’t know about it until it’s too late for them to spread the word.  Next time don’t be a coward and do it on day one, just for kicks and giggles.

• Like 4

Just now, LGW59 said:

Oh so you do wait until the last night to have them removed this way the hardworking crew don’t know about it until it’s too late for them to spread the word.  Next time don’t be a coward and do it on day one, just for kicks and giggles.

Good suggestion. I am leaving for a cruise this weekend and after the line dies down at guest services on first day, I will remove them all upfront. 

Are you really implying that the crew should not do their jobs?

6 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

There is a distinct difference in the US between the words "gratuity" and "service charge". A gratuity, even if added to your bill, is optional, in that it may be removed, and must be given to the appropriate staff. A "service charge" is non-optional, may not be removed, and may be kept by the business, even if it is implied it goes to the service staff.

Aren't you sort of making his point for him? You can't remove the 18% "tip" when you buy a drink nor can you when you buy a package. Therefore, the charge does not even meet your definition of a gratuity.

1 minute ago, UNCFanatik said:

Good suggestion. I am leaving for a cruise this weekend and after the line dies down at guest services on first day, I will remove them all upfront. 

Are you really implying that the crew should not do their jobs?

Oh absolutely not they will still work just as hard as they always do!  You will also be very well known by the crew and will probably receive extra behind the scenes “service”

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Aren't you sort of making his point for him? You can't remove the 18% "tip" when you buy a drink nor can you when you buy a package. Therefore, the charge does not even meet your definition of a gratuity.

Its not a true gratuity and it makes my point. Dont call something a gratuity when customer cannot remove it. Just like purchasing any product online, I should only be charged price of product up front. Not hidden charges in fine print. This is deceptive. Advertise one price and then when you go to buy it, price is actually higher than advertised. Why cant Royal be transparent and upfront about cruise planner purchases

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Oh absolutely not they will still work just as hard as they always do!  You will also be very well known by the crew and will probably receive extra behind the scenes “service”

ah...I see that you would condone the extra behind the scenes "service". 

Nice