Opinions: Mt. Rainier vs. Seattle

LibrarianBecky

We are cruising out of Seattle in June and looking at purchasing flights soon.  Our cruise departs on a Friday, and we have the ability to fly in either Tuesday evening or Wednesday afternoon.  We would like to spend some time sightseeing, since we've never been to Seattle (or the west coast) before.  We can either fly in on Wednesday and spend Wednesday and Thursday sightseeing in Seattle or we can fly in on Tuesday, rent a car, and spent Wednesday/Thursday exploring Mt. Rainier.  If we did that, we could probably schedule a late flight out of Seattle after our cruise and spend some time after our cruise sightseeing (but likely just that day--not overnight).  I'd love some opinions.  My preference is to explore Mt. Rainier and squeeze some of Seattle in too, but my husband thinks that we'll be trying to do too much.  If it influences your opinion, our group will be myself (44), my husband (52), and our 15 year old son.  

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, LibrarianBecky said:

We would like to spend some time sightseeing, since we've never been to Seattle (or the west coast) before.

Spent most of last year living in Seattle. Don't underestimate the size of the area you are visiting. Just to get to the very entry area of Mt Rainier National Park you are a 2 hour drive out of Seattle proper. Will take longer to get further towards the base of the mountain and even then you will be pressed for time. There are two National Park lodges-- both of which are charming but very rustic. Once you are there, unless you are going to spend several days hiking, you are just going to do drive bys of most things and frankly the mountain is more impressive viewed from a distance (when the weather allows). 

3 hours ago, LibrarianBecky said:

My preference is to explore Mt. Rainier and squeeze some of Seattle in too, but my husband thinks that we'll be trying to do too much.

Not really doable with the schedule you put out-- you could do one or the other. You would see a decent amount of Seattle. You wouldn't see much of Mt Rainier in 2 days. 

If you have never been to the West Coast my recommendation would be to visit Seattle for the two days you have and enjoy the wonderful views of Rainier you will see on your final approach and take off to/from SeaTac. 

• Like 1

One thing to consider is that in "normal" years (whatever that means nowadays) there's still a lot of snow on the ground at the Paradise visitor center, the only high elevation one that will be open in June - often six feet or more.  In addition, the saying around here is that summer begins on the 5th of July, the day after the fireworks disappeared into the clouds.  That means that the mountains may well be socked in, obscuring the views and possibly bringing wet conditions. 

Now all that is possible, not probable, but in the immortal words of Dirty Harry, do you feel lucky? 

If you haven't been around here before, let me recommend a couple of alternative day trips that you could use as substitutes if the forecast for Mt. Rainier is less than good.  Bear with me.

1.  Bainbridge/Puget Sound loop.  Map - https://goo.gl/maps/uUbBQzp1Jd13TC6m9 .  This scenic and rewarding trip includes a visit to picturesque Port Gamble, then the little town of Poulsbo, famous and fiercely proud of its Norwegian heritage, followed by a visit to the grave of Chief Seattle, the city's namesake, in the Native American village of Suquamish.  You'd then visit the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island - one of the top botanical gardens in North America, and then have a meal at the Harbour Public House or Doc's at Eagle Harbor, both overlooking the marina.  The final chapter is the ferry ride back to downtown Seattle, a spectacular experience on its own.

2.  Snoqualmie Falls, Twin Peaks and the Snoqualmie Valley.  Map - https://goo.gl/maps/twu2CFcHuWYXKMow9 .  This is a very easy day loop that includes some sites from the old "Twin Peaks" TV show, but the real star is Snoqualmie Falls, which in June will be spectacular with all the snowmelt water flowing over the falls.  The route then heads north up the beautiful Snoqualmie Valley, past the popular Remlinger Farms and to the Carnation Farms area, home of Carnation milk.  You'd then return to Seattle via the SR 520 bridge (toll) although you could also use the non-tolled I-90 bridges across Lake Washington, or use surface roads around the north end of the lake.

3.  Deception Pass, Whidbey Island, and the biggest building in the world.  Map - https://goo.gl/maps/f5cLYePzDmBXMyQ39 .  This is my favorite day trip route for visitors.  You'd start by driving around an hour and a bit (from downtown Seattle, longer from the airport) to the picturesque waterfront town of La Conner, then over the bridge to Fidalgo Island.  You'd then visit Deception Pass, the narrow channel between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands; at tide change the current through the gap is awesome - close to frightening.  There are hiking trails and beaches to explore as well as terrific views of the Olympic mountains, weather permitting.

You'd then visit another cute town, Coupeville, then visit Fort Casey State Park.  Fort Casey has a lovely little lighthouse, and your son would probably get a kick out of wandering around the coastal defense gun batteries that overlook the sea lanes.  One more cute town - Langley - then it's onto the ferry to Mukilteo back on the mainland.  A few minutes from Mukilteo is the Boeing Everett plant, home of the big jets and the biggest building in the world.  Hopefully by June the tours of the assembly building will have resumed - worth every penny.  

4. Tacoma, Vashon Island and more airplanes.  Map - https://goo.gl/maps/PQCLccwU4FgFytto9 .  Most first time (and a lot of multi-time) visitors overlook Tacoma, but Seattle's sister on Puget Sound has a lot going for it.  This route would take you to the astonishing LeMay car museum in Tacoma, then to the Museum of Glass and Chihuly Bridge of Glass, a couple of the town's highlights.  You'd then drive along the Commencement Bay waterfront to the ferry to Vashon Island, a surprisingly rural and lovely island in Puget Sound.  Visit the beautiful park around the Point Robinson lighthouse, then travel up the island to the ferry that will return you to Fauntleroy in West Seattle.  

You'd then drive up to Alki Beach with our own wee Statue of Liberty, then around Duwamish Head to Seacrest Park.  Enjoy the spectacular view of the city skyline, perhaps with an adult beverage from the outdoor deck of Marination Ma Kai (great food, too) then to end the day make your way to the Museum of Flight, next to Boeing Field.  This is a world-class space and aviation museum, IMO in second place behind the Smithsonian.  

Google the places on these maps and see what appeals.  Of course there are many more alternatives, but any of these would give you a great introduction to our marvelous area.  Happy planning!

• Like 5

I'd like to endorse @Gardyloo's entire post!

Of those options, I'd recommend #2 and add the 90-minute scenic train ride (Saturdays and Sundays only) from the Northwest Railway Museum in downtown Snoqualmie. There are excellent restaurants in Issaquah.

Honestly, the best views you'll get of Mt. Rainier are from points further away. I live about 85 miles NNW of the mountain and get a lovely view of it when driving home from McDonald's. The classic view that you see in countless photos is from Kerry Park in the Queen Anne neighborhood - the Space Needle, downtown Seattle, and the majesty of Mt. Rainier in the background.

But, unfortunately, you cannot count on clear skies around here. Shape your itinerary around other sights and cross your fingers that the mountain is "out" that day!

• Like 2

To the O.P. I have to agree with the previous posters: There's so much to see and do, in Seattle and the surrounding area. Mt. Rainier is very impressive to see from the city, especially at sunset, when it "turns pink" ie: the alpenglow🗻.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, everyone!  I really appreciate the input!  We are going to stick closer to Seattle and enjoy the view of Mt. Rainier, as recommended!  I can't thank you enough for the suggested itineraries.  I'm going to spend some time digging into them and selecting the items that will fit our interests best.  Again, thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hard choice IMO.  We arrived in Seattle three days early.  Rented a car at the airport and stayed a bit south of it, so that we could avoid the traffic the next morning.  Drove to Mt. Rainier and basically spent the day there (entering the park on the south and leaving on the north side as I recall).

Returned the rental car at a downtown Seattle location at the hotel we were staying at.  The next day we toured downtown Seattle and Space Needle area by foot and local transportation.  Spent the night at same hotel and onto the ship the next morning.

While we did not see everything at either location, we did get in enough to make the tour worthwhile IMO.

• Like 1

@DaveOKC, I liked the suggestion for the OP of doing Mt. Rainier, when the OP arrives early to Seattle.  Maybe stay closer to the airport on Wednesday to save some money (Check Cedarbrook Lodge).

It would be money well spent for the OP to book a room at a DT Seattle hotel for Thursday night, and possibly visit Seattle Center (Space Needle, Chiluly Glass Museum, etc) via the monorail Thursday evening, as summer evening stay quite light. 

I would get up early Friday morning (maybe ask for a 12 noon check out time), and walk down to Pike Place Market, watch the vendors set up, have breakfast, then wander around before it gets too crowded.  OP could even continue down to the waterfront, or just look out at from Pike Place.

I think all of this is very doable. There is no need to arrive at Pier 91 too early - arriving after noon will give the OP plenty of time to do touristy things in the morning, yet time enough to have lunch on the ship, unpack, then enjoy sail-a-way around 4 PM.

We are planning trio for next year and having same discussion.  Our trip is late September, we're spending 2 days (Fri-Sat) prior to cruise.  My wife wants to see "big trees."  Coming from Florida, we really don't have those.  We'd like to do hike through the forest for up close view.  With the discussion of Rainer in earlier posts, is there any suggestion for a more local to Seattle to hike among big trees and other scenery.

You might like to visit the Olympic National Park.

Hoh Rain Forest - a real rainforest with easy hikes/walks among very impressive trees

Hurricane Ridge - amazing views

Consider staying at Kaloloch Lodge, or Lake Crescent Lodge

https://www.thekalalochlodge.com/explore/olympic-national-park/hoh-rainforest

I agree with @Gardyloo…all great suggestions!  

Deception Pass on a clear day is amazing!  this would be my top pick if the weather is good. Otherwise, I would save it for your next trip. (On Whidbey Island, besides Coupeville, the town of Langley is cute too. Nice shops and restaurants.)

Snoqualmie Falls and a hike to Twin Falls is great no matter what our weather is like. Easy to do all in one day. The town of Snoqualmie is nice, too. 

I would also say a couple days in Friday Harbor is always great, but you would really need to plan ahead. A ferry is the only way to or from (other than seaplanes) and you would want to secure your ferry rides ahead of time. Traffic can be bad, going north, depending on the time of day. So that might be best left for another time. But the San Juan Islands are so beautiful!  Even the ferry ride over is stunning!

Enjoy your visit here. You’re going to love it!  

Bainbridge is fun to visit and an easy ferry ride.

We went in 2018. Our cruise left on June 23 and we went 3 days early to explore. We had a rental car. One day we drove to Mt. Ranier and did one of the loops. The scenery is absolutely stunning. There was still snow at the top and it was foggy so we didn't stop. We did make several other stops along the way to look and take pics. The other day we explored Seattle.