COVID Protocols - Antigua and Other Islands

colliercruiser

I posted this message on my specific Feb 2021 roll call but thought I might get more input by posting here.

Just saw this update (effective Dec 2021) on what appears to be an official Antigua website.  Very unclear how those on cruise ships (such as our sailing) can meet these new testing requirements since I assume Celebrity isn't going to provide PCR (not Antigen) tests while we're onboard.

This also makes me wonder about the other port stops on this cruise.. which I've not researched in any detail.  Does anyone know if Celebrity provides any such details on a port-by-port basis... beyond the one which lists where Celebrity-provided excursions are required or not?  I assume these new requirements below also apply to Celebrity-provided excursions.

Or do we only find out about each port's COVID requirements when on board?

image.thumb.png.f09e67db93d54cdfc5b7d1b8701a21e4.png

1 hour ago, colliercruiser said:

I posted this message on my specific Feb 2021 roll call but thought I might get more input by posting here.

Just saw this update (effective Dec 2021) on what appears to be an official Antigua website.  Very unclear how those on cruise ships (such as our sailing) can meet these new testing requirements since I assume Celebrity isn't going to provide PCR (not Antigen) tests while we're onboard.

This also makes me wonder about the other port stops on this cruise.. which I've not researched in any detail.  Does anyone know if Celebrity provides any such details on a port-by-port basis... beyond the one which lists where Celebrity-provided excursions are required or not?  I assume these new requirements below also apply to Celebrity-provided excursions.

Or do we only find out about each port's COVID requirements when on board?

image.thumb.png.f09e67db93d54cdfc5b7d1b8701a21e4.png

Protocols in place today, may very likely be different when you cruise in Feb. most likely you will find out on board as they change routinely

I was in Antigua a week ago from Millenium and none of this protocol was in place. My guess is Celebrity will skip Antigua and find another port as this kind of testing is impossible to do on a cruise ship with over a 1000 people onboard.

Just now, susiesan said:

I was in Antigua a week ago from Millenium and none of this protocol was in place. My guess is Celebrity will skip Antigua and find another port as this kind of testing is impossible to do on a cruise ship with over a 1000 people onboard.

You just missed this new protocol which is to go into effect tomorrow (Dec 15).

One reason I checked out the Antigua website is that I was looking thru the Celebrity shore excursions and did not see any listed for Nelson's Dockyard.  We've been there before (via an excursion) and always enjoyed our visit... but not listed for now.

When most countries list protocols that is for air travel passengers. The cruise line has worked out a deal with the port for the cruise passengers that align with current testing protocols, or they will change the port. You don’t need to worry about meeting every counties individual requirements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

When most countries list protocols that is for air travel passengers. The cruise line has worked out a deal with the port for the cruise passengers that align with current testing protocols, or they will change the port. You don’t need to worry about meeting every counties individual requirements.

So I think you're saying that if a country changes its protocol to require PCR testing within 72 hours of arrival, that Celebrity would likely cancel that port since they can no longer meet those new requirements.

9 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

So I think you're saying that if a country changes its protocol to require PCR testing within 72 hours of arrival, that Celebrity would likely cancel that port since they can no longer meet those new requirements.

This could get reeeallllly interesting in a longer cruise like our 12 day one in April. Lots of stops. Wonder how that'll look!?

2 minutes ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

This could get reeeallllly interesting in a longer cruise like our 12 day one in April. Lots of stops. Wonder how that'll look!?

Very interesting!  We have a 52 day cruise in 2023 with stops in Europe, Middle East, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, going to be very interesting to see what the world looks like by then!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sunnypalms said:

https://visitantiguabarbuda.com/travel-advisory/

Per the above link, the advisory only applies to those who have travelled from South Africa, Botswana, Belgium and Hong Kong within the last 14 days.

Actually, that's not obvious given how that webpage is structured.  Unclear if it is just stating that no one can travel from those specific countries... and then modifying their prior "all country" protocols with the limit to just PCR tests.  Further down on that page is the following and note "Effective Nov 18, 2021".  That states that either PCR or Antigen tests are accepted... so one can read the item I posted earlier to read that they are now only accepting the PCR test.

Even if they accept an Antigen test, it requires that it be done in a timeframe which would have to be done on the ship (for our specific 10-day cruise).  Will Celebrity do that for all passengers?

image.png.bb4d35572a8b7b8b812e080249805f83.png

59 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

Even if they accept an Antigen test, it requires that it be done in a timeframe which would have to be done on the ship (for our specific 10-day cruise).  Will Celebrity do that for all passengers?

We disembarked yesterday from a 10-day cruise on the Silhouette that called at Antigua on December 10. The only pre-cruise test we had was a rapid antigen test on December 1, as required by Celebrity. This was 9 days before our visit to Antigua. It’s not clear that you are looking at rules that are applicable to cruise passengers, since what you quoted was in effect at the time of our cruise. 

At any rate, much can change between now and your cruise. Just keep paying attention to Celebrity’s web site. 

3 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

what I’m saying is that change may not apply to cruise passengers. For example, to travel to the US from an international destination requires a covid test; first 72 hours and more recently 24 hours ahead… unless you are on a cruise. Not all of these restrictions are being applied to cruise ship travel. So 1 of 3 things could happen. 1. This doesn’t apply to cruise ships and nothing will change for you, 2. Celebrity works out an agreement with antigua to waive it if you do bubble excursions only or 3. Celebrity will not work a waiver out and will change to a different port. But chasing restrictions will create alot of stress and waste time. Celebrity won’t take you somewhere without having a plan.

• Like 1