Cunard QM2 10th-14th Jan 2022 - advice/thoughts

johnnylikely

Hi all, hope you're keeping safe and well!

Itinerary

Mon 10 Jan 22 Southampton, England, UK Embark Ship

Tue 11 Jan 22 At Sea For 1 Day

Wed 12 Jan 22 Hamburg, Germany Arrive Early Morning, Depart Early Evening

Thu 13 Jan 22 At Sea For 1 Day

Fri 14 Jan 22 Southampton, England, UK Debark Ship

Questions:

- I'm a Diamond member, with embarkation AND Covid test does this mean I get priority (if not with the Covid test, I'd rather join the ship at the end and avoid the crowds)

- Other than ordering a Day 2 test to my home - around a week before the sailing is there anything else I need to do before hand (other than online forms/check in etc)

- Anything I need to consider if disembarking in Hamburg (I don't mind staying on the ship tbh)

Any other thoughts/advice would be great, I'm so out of the loop with all this travel/covid stuff! Thanks Xxx

You must check in on line and you will be given a time to start the process. In November times were checked.

Baggage drop off opened at 11:45 am. After dropping off your luggage, you queue for the LFT. Firstly you have to show your passport and evidence of 2 jags, then queue for the test, Details are taken and you get a green wrist band.

After the actual test you can now enter the terminal building where you wait for the results which are sent by text.

On our trip, 4 people were "positive" and denied boarding.

The "negatives" can then go to check in. Photos of your passport are taken.

You are then grouped. We were in the first group (QG). Diamond is the third group.

From dropping off our bags, the whole process took one and a half hours.

6 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

You must check in on line and you will be given a time to start the process. In November times were checked.

Baggage drop off opened at 11:45 am. After dropping off your luggage, you queue for the LFT. Firstly you have to show your passport and evidence of 2 jags, then queue for the test, Details are taken and you get a green wrist band.

After the actual test you can now enter the terminal building where you wait for the results which are sent by text.

On our trip, 4 people were "positive" and denied boarding.

The "negatives" can then go to check in. Photos of your passport are taken.

You are then grouped. We were in the first group (QG). Diamond is the third group.

From dropping off our bags, the whole process took one and a half hours.

Wowsa! Thanks for the info!!! Good luck to us all!

What destinations did you cover?

10 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

OH NO! Germany has blocked travellers! What's gonna happen?

I’d expect one of the following:

-Cruise is cancelled 

-Cruise goes to Hamburg, no one is allowed off, anyone booked on the 2 night outbound cruise is either cancelled or offered to extend it to 4 nights (subject to capacity), not sure if people joining in Hamburg would be allowed to?

-Cruise goes ahead but stays at sea, however this causes issues for those expecting to join in Hamburg, people only sailing outbound for 2 nights could be offered an extension to 4 nights 

22 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

I’d expect one of the following:

-Cruise is cancelled 

-Cruise goes to Hamburg, no one is allowed off, anyone booked on the 2 night outbound cruise is either cancelled or offered to extend it to 4 nights (subject to capacity), not sure if people joining in Hamburg would be allowed to?

-Cruise goes ahead but stays at sea, however this causes issues for those expecting to join in Hamburg, people only sailing outbound for 2 nights could be offered an extension to 4 nights 

Gosh! I want ma cruise! Thanks for ur thoughts... lordie!

23 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Gosh! I want ma cruise! Thanks for ur thoughts... lordie!

I hope it goes ahead too as this is my 6th attempt at a cruise since April 2020!  Hopefully there will be some clarity early next week - sounds like there will be a government announcement today or tomorrow that might complicate matters further

1 minute ago, Se1lad said:

I hope it goes ahead too as this is my 6th attempt at a cruise since April 2020!  Hopefully there will be some clarity early next week - sounds like there will be a government announcement today or tomorrow that might complicate matters further

Lord help us! I'm so looking forward to cosying up on the qm2- my fave way to start the new year!

One would expect there to be a fair number of German passengers boarding in Hamburg for the Caribbean trip!

Cunard would surely board the pax if possible. 🤞for you all that you might get a “seacation” trip at least!

I have rung my TA and they are unsure as they have not heard from Cunard, fingers crossed we hear soon! I am hoping it will just be a staycation rather than being cancelled. Although who knows what the next restrictions will be

I am feeling a little more optimistic now as I got an email from Cunard inviting me to check in for the trip.  That's now all done, e-tickets received etc, and a nice early check in time of 12.15!   Fingers crossed it's not cancelled......

32 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

I am feeling a little more optimistic now as I got an email from Cunard inviting me to check in for the trip.  That's now all done, e-tickets received etc, and a nice early check in time of 12.15!   Fingers crossed it's not cancelled......

Here’s hoping! I’m guessing it was auto setup so they wouldn’t have time to intercede and stop it as it looks like they’re still trying to decide what to do. Fingers xd!

1 hour ago, aday10 said:

Has anyone heard anything? Its not looking good for the QM2 atm. 

I spoke to someone earlier and they said they were probably looking into itinerary change BUT this might not have factored in what's been unfolding who knows- they probably have to do a deep clean of the ship when it's empty or something eek!!!

18 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

I spoke to someone earlier and they said they were probably looking into itinerary change BUT this might not have factored in what's been unfolding who knows- they probably have to do a deep clean of the ship when it's empty or something eek!!!

I gather from folks currently on board they are doing a deep-clean now while the ship has been in New York.

I have just spoken to Cunard customer services and they are still waiting for news from higher up on what will be happening. They did say to hold out transferring the booking as we will get more options if Cunard cancel our cruise, but it did not sound positive for this cruise going ahead. They believe its unlikely that Germany will be letting us in at any point in January (no surprise there). I think Cunard are also waiting to see what happens next week regarding Englands restrictions (e.g. waiting to see if we have restrictions after Christmas). They is a chance that it could have a change of port, but I dont think there are many countries that will be allowing travellers in at this rate.

1 hour ago, aday10 said:

I have just spoken to Cunard customer services and they are still waiting for news from higher up on what will be happening. They did say to hold out transferring the booking as we will get more options if Cunard cancel our cruise, but it did not sound positive for this cruise going ahead. They believe its unlikely that Germany will be letting us in at any point in January (no surprise there). I think Cunard are also waiting to see what happens next week regarding Englands restrictions (e.g. waiting to see if we have restrictions after Christmas). They is a chance that it could have a change of port, but I dont think there are many countries that will be allowing travellers in at this rate.

Oh bummer! I’d happily take a seacation lol thx for the updates!

We're booked as a group of 4 on this and one of our group refuses to go on a seacation... be interesting to see if they put another port in or what the options are. We'd be happy to move to another cruise, maybe the one to the Canaries, if that happens. Guess will have to wait and see what they come up with. Frustrated with the wait though