Cunard QM2 10th-14th Jan 2022 - advice/thoughts

johnnylikely

17 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

Curiouser... I just got resent my confirmation - I've been assigned a new room (inside floor 13 or something like that to now floor 5)

Still showing Hamburg as destination....

Anyone else??

I got the same, though my cabin was unchanged - still the same Q6 on deck 9

19 hours ago, aday10 said:

So would I, we will just have to see what happens! Just wish they would hurry up lol

They are still selling the 4 night and 2 night versions of the cruise on the Cunard website.  If they did change this to a seacation that obviously causes issues for people that n the 2 night versions.  If it does change to a seacation does it also have to follow any social distancing rules the government introduce after Christmas?

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

They are still selling the 4 night and 2 night versions of the cruise on the Cunard website.  If they did change this to a seacation that obviously causes issues for people that n the 2 night versions.  If it does change to a seacation does it also have to follow any social distancing rules the government introduce after Christmas?

I would imagine so, but I'm guessing the ship would sail at anywhere between 50-75% capacity and QM2 is very spacious even at full capacity- this is presuming the sailings go ahead and the gov't don't shut it down completely.. eek! I guess we'll have to wait for post xmas gov't updates... I'd happily take a seacation lol

5 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

I would imagine so, but I'm guessing the ship would sail at anywhere between 50-75% capacity and QM2 is very spacious even at full capacity- this is presuming the sailings go ahead and the gov't don't shut it down completely.. eek! I guess we'll have to wait for post xmas gov't updates... I'd happily take a seacation lol

I was thinking more along the lines that if indoor seating at restaurants was banned again, would that apply on a seacation too?  Based on the latest news on omicron I think it unlikely that level of restriction will be introduced again however 

QM2 now sitting in Barbardos for a few days.  They just cancelled it's return to New York and it's 3 January sailing to Southampton.  They will be sailing back to Southampton from Barbados but no specific date set yet.  I expect the Hamburg trip is unlikely to occur.

1 hour ago, comcox said:

QM2 now sitting in Barbardos for a few days.  They just cancelled it's return to New York and it's 3 January sailing to Southampton.  They will be sailing back to Southampton from Barbados but no specific date set yet.  I expect the Hamburg trip is unlikely to occur.

Oh no!

1 hour ago, johnnylikely said:

Oh no!

Just spoken to my TA, Cunard have said our cruise is not affected by what is going on currently, and will be going ahead as planes, although I’m not convinced. 

They have still not given an update on where this cruise will be going rather than Hamburg, which I think is ridiculous as it is in less than two weeks time. Getting quite frustrated as it is a waiting game. 

I have seen P&O decided to go to Stavanger in Norway rather than hamburg, Germany on a short break, I would love it id Cunard decided to pick this destination. Or a seacation! 

I would like to know if I need to book these PCR tests though 😂

14 minutes ago, aday10 said:

Just spoken to my TA, Cunard have said our cruise is not affected by what is going on currently, and will be going ahead as planes, although I’m not convinced. 

They have still not given an update on where this cruise will be going rather than Hamburg, which I think is ridiculous as it is in less than two weeks time. Getting quite frustrated as it is a waiting game. 

I have seen P&O decided to go to Stavanger in Norway rather than hamburg, Germany on a short break, I would love it id Cunard decided to pick this destination. Or a seacation! 

EXACTLY!!! All of the above- yes Emma cruises was saying the diverting to Scandi- tho have to wonder how long it will be til they block us lol

Problem is the Hamburg itineraries are essentially just an extension of the TAs and Caribbean voyages for the benefit of Cunard’s sizeable German market.

At a guess the number of passengers joining or leaving in Southampton just for the 2 or 4 nighters is relatively small so if the ship isn’t allowed to call at Hamburg, those four days simply may not be viable.

49 minutes ago, aday10 said:

But "going ahead as planned" is what Cunard told me late last week about the 3 January sailing, so I would not trust what they say at this point in time.

21 minutes ago, comcox said:

But "going ahead as planned" is what Cunard told me late last week about the 3 January sailing, so I would not trust what they say at this point in time.

Exactly. Agents will be told to tell you it’s “going ahead as planned” until they’re told to tell you it isn’t. There’s no middle ground.

EDIT: on the other thread it’s being reported that the 2-nighter TO Hamburg is now off sale but the 2-nighter FROM Hamburg and the 4-night round trip are still available.

Suggesting, perhaps, that the plan is to operate a 4-day voyage to nowhere, picking up passengers in Hamburg but not dropping off.

Time will tell if that comes to pass.

Edited by gumshoe958

I’ve just seen in another thread that the January 3rd cruise and the Southampton to hamburg 2 night cruise has been taken off the website, but they were available this morning. 

10th Jan is still available to book. 

46 minutes ago, comcox said:

TBF, that response may have been accurate at that point in time.

4 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

EDIT: on the other thread it’s being reported that the 2-nighter TO Hamburg is now off sale but the 2-nighter FROM Hamburg and the 4-night round trip are still available.

Suggesting, perhaps, that the plan is to operate a 4-day voyage to nowhere, picking up passengers in Hamburg but not dropping off.

I believe that this the cautious assumption being taken. That is not to say that that the outbound cruise won't board passengers in Southampton to disembark in Hamburg. I believe this cruise is popular with those who have come to the UK for new year and return by ship rather than fly. Therefore,  if you're of Germany nationality/citizenship then you'd still be ok.

It's also that rather than cancel the two night outbound voyage for anyone else, they might meet a reasonable offer for the extended round-trip.

4 hours ago, aday10 said:

I’ve just seen in another thread that the January 3rd cruise and the Southampton to hamburg 2 night cruise has been taken off the website, but they were available this morning. 

10th Jan is still available to book. 

10th Jan is only available as the 4 night version now, and not the 2 night version - the 2 night one back from Hamburg on the 12th is still available too.

23 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

10th Jan is only available as the 4 night version now, and not the 2 night version - the 2 night one back from Hamburg on the 12th is still available too.

Yes this is what I was referring to, I would what the current plan is.