Tested Positive prior to cruise

PSU2LSU

Had a member of our party test positive two days prior to the cruise sailing.  I've been trying to get a hold of my carnival PVP for the last few hours with no success.  We have a total of 8 people in our party flying from all over the country.  The one person who tested positive isn't related to or have any contact with his state room companion.  According to the Carnival website from what I am reading is that if you are assigned to the same stateroom and your roommate test positive for Covid then you are not allowed to board the ship.  I was wondering if anyone came across the same situation where the two people assigned to the state room are coming from different parts of the country and haven't had any contact.  

9 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Just have them be a no show, problem solved! 

According to Carnival "you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival" if you test positive.  So of course we would want the FCC instead of just losing the money. I was able to get a hold of a carnival rep (not my PVP) and we are working through the problem now. 

5 minutes ago, PSU2LSU said:

According to Carnival "you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival" if you test positive.  So of course we would want the FCC instead of just losing the money. I was able to get a hold of a carnival rep (not my PVP) and we are working through the problem now. 

I hope it works out for you. I could see Carnival maybe giving the affected party a FCC but then allowing you to go but with a new pricing which will cost you double the amount. 

12 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

I hope it works out for you. I could see Carnival maybe giving the affected party a FCC but then allowing you to go but with a new pricing which will cost you double the amount. 

You are exactly right.  Thats the situation the presented to me which I turned down because the rate would more then double since the person who tested positive had the rate code applied.  Right now its cheaper to be a no show. 

1 hour ago, BennyBrun said:

When you have no insurance and it’s a day of your best bet is do a no show.

We do have insurance through nationwide (insuremytrip).  Looking to see if they will cover the Covid positive test if we go the no show route. 

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-refund-cancellation-policy

this doesn’t say the person can’t cruise. This says that the person in the state room is entitled to cancel and get FCC, not that they have to. They shouldn’t have to cancel if they haven’t had close contact with someone with covid.

1 hour ago, PSU2LSU said:

We do have insurance through nationwide (insuremytrip).  Looking to see if they will cover the Covid positive test if we go the no show route. 

I would take a double take at doing the no show and expect insurance to pay. The insurance usually says if you or any travel mate has to cancel it pays. The insurance will guide through this. The no show is usually when someone does not have insurance or in a case of someone just not going.  We had a family cruise all planned and my my husband decided he wasn’t going. If i had cancelled him even after cruise paid in full i would of still had to pay additional. Yeah go figure!  So he was a no show.This is comparing apples and oranges but a few days before one of our cruises my adult son had a brain aneurysm. I had to scramble and call to cancel. We were told how to go about the insurance deal.  I did have to print up papers and the doctor had to fill out and sign. Glad i didnt play around because son was in hospital over an hour from home. 

1 hour ago, PSU2LSU said:

Covid is treated as any other illness. Get confirmation from a doctor along with orders not to travel in order to file a claim.

Check to see if the policy has a Single Occupancy provision. It will pay the difference if the cruise line charges more when one cancels.

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

Covid is treated as any other illness. Get confirmation from a doctor along with orders not to travel in order to file a claim.

Check to see if the policy has a Single Occupancy provision. It will pay the difference if the cruise line charges more when one cancels.

The other traveler doesn't have insurance.  So the only one with insurance is the actual traveler with the positive test.  Also the traveler with the positive test booked using a fantastic rate code so it would be a lot more $ in total if we took the positive test traveler off the booking.  

34 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-refund-cancellation-policy

this doesn’t say the person can’t cruise. This says that the person in the state room is entitled to cancel and get FCC, not that they have to. They shouldn’t have to cancel if they haven’t had close contact with someone with covid.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I went throught that with the Carnival rep and they said they could take the covid positive traveler off the  booking and they would get a full refund.  But since it was on a discounted rate a no show would be the most benefical from a financial standpoint.  The traveler left was going to have to pay more then 2x the rate, I think it was closer to 3x the rate.  

30 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

I would take a double take at doing the no show and expect insurance to pay. The insurance usually says if you or any travel mate has to cancel it pays. The insurance will guide through this. The no show is usually when someone does not have insurance or in a case of someone just not going.  We had a family cruise all planned and my my husband decided he wasn’t going. If i had cancelled him even after cruise paid in full i would of still had to pay additional. Yeah go figure!  So he was a no show.This is comparing apples and oranges but a few days before one of our cruises my adult son had a brain aneurysm. I had to scramble and call to cancel. We were told how to go about the insurance deal.  I did have to print up papers and the doctor had to fill out and sign. Glad i didnt play around because son was in hospital over an hour from home. 

I hope everything with you son turned out ok.  Because of the discounted cruise rate we are going to do this as a no show and go the insurance route.  Really nothing to lose.  

• Like 1