Is OBC issued Due to Price Drop Refundable?

Pushkin

I posted this on our roll call, but it is not very active.  We are on the January 3 Equinox sailing.  I just checked the prices of Concierge cabins, and they have gone down significantly.  Just called my TA to get the difference in OBC.  Came to an additional $616 in OBC. Felt like celebrating, but then....

I wondered about how this would impact cruise if we (or Celebrity) would be forced to  cancel due to Covid.  I assume I would only receive the actual reduced cruise fare (which at this point is about $750 less than I paid), and none of the OBC associated with the price drops.  Anyone know the answer to this?  Thanks

Interesting situation.   In one case you should be refunded or issued FCC for the fare paid at final payment.  On the other hand like you say the invoiced cruise fare is now less.   The OBC issued for the reduction is of the non refundable type meaning it's use it or lose it on the sailing.

• Like 1

If you should cancel, you would receive an FCC in the amount you actually paid for your cruise. 

Should Celebrity cancel, you would have an option of an FCC for the amount you paid or a refund.  They haven't canceled a cruise in awhile so I don't know if they'd be offering the lift and shift.

Your OBC has no cash value so it isn't considered part of what you paid for your cruise and therefore it is not refundable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Interesting situation.   In one case you should be refunded or issued FCC for the fare paid at final payment.  On the other hand like you say the invoiced cruise fare is now less.   The OBC issued for the reduction is of the non refundable type meaning it's use it or lose it on the sailing.

That's not quite correct. 

The invoice does not change when an OBC is added for a cruise price reduction.  It's simply added at the bottom of the invoice as an OBC separate from pricing. 

The invoice price you paid remains exactly as it was when you made final payment and would be the amount  a guest is given as an FCC if the guest cancels. 

No, they aren't going to give you the OBC amount over and above what you paid, but then you never paid for that OBC to begin with.  You will receive exactly what you paid for the cruise in an FCC.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack this thread but it's related.  We just got an additional $200 credit because we moved a better cabin and the price was $200 less.  It's been four days and the credit hasn't appeared on our account. Is this something that happens at the end of the cruise or should we be asking about it now?

14 minutes ago, dateacher said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but it's related.  We just got an additional $200 credit because we moved a better cabin and the price was $200 less.  It's been four days and the credit hasn't appeared on our account. Is this something that happens at the end of the cruise or should we be asking about it now?

When my fare reduced it took a week to see the credit and then it came in 2 separate transactions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

That's not quite correct. 

The invoice does not change when an OBC is added for a cruise price reduction.  It's simply added at the bottom of the invoice as an OBC separate from pricing. 

The invoice price you paid remains exactly as it was when you made final payment and would be the amount  a guest is given as an FCC if the guest cancels. 

No, they aren't going to give you the OBC amount over and above what you paid, but then you never paid for that OBC to begin with.  You will receive exactly what you paid for the cruise in an FCC.

Thank you and others for your responses.  If I get back what I paid at final payment date, I would be very happy!  It seems like the right thing for Celebrity to do, but then these are crazy times and I know Celebrity is bleeding cash.  

My concern is pretty great since I have booked 3 concierge cabins for our family, and I am nervous about everyone testing negative before the cruise.