The reason Celebrity isn't enforcing the dress codes

usha

Isn't it interesting that those who comply with the evening dress code are the ones being told to go somewhere else if they want to dress up? Did I miss something here? Can someone please explain that back-ended logic? Is this not a case of the inmates running the asylum?

I think I might understand what they meant but may not have expressed it correctly (or that is what they meant and I am wrong).

My interpretation of that is this:

The fact the X has a suggested dress code and do not enforce their suggestions could be a sign that times are changing and that in a few years there will no longer be suggestions of what to wear. With that said maybe they meant that instead of trying to fight the changing times we should either embrace it or find a new line.

So for those people instead of telling us to book with another cruise line, i.e. Carnival (poor Carnival) - how about they go somewhere else if they want to dress up.

I'm trying to understand the logic of this statement. :confused:

Are you saying that those who follow the cruise lines code should be doing something different?

Then again, the US was founded by rebels.;)

(BTW, you may notice by my signature that I genuinely enjoy Carnival.)

bububr - gotcha. I did misinterpret - I thought you meant in general you asked to move or be moved simply because they were seated with you. Now I understand.

For those who don't see the big deal - I think it is that many find it offensive that people FLAGRANTLY ignore the "requested/required - depends on what literature you read". Wearing black pants or skirt with a dressy top or a jacket with slacks is a lot more "I'm trying but I don't want to do the whole routine" than those who throw on jeans or khakis with a pullover. Personally, it doesn't affect my cruise. I just was raised to go by the rules and the fear of being considered rude, crude or ignorant keeps me in line!! And I am fortunate that Mr Wolf is one of those men who loves to wear the tux - of course he walks around annoying me all night by saying, Bond, James Bond.

My interpretation of that is this:

The fact the X has a suggested dress code and do not enforce their suggestions could be a sign that times are changing and that in a few years there will no longer be suggestions of what to wear. With that said maybe they meant that instead of trying to fight the changing times we should either embrace it or find a new line.

Sorry to disagree...the poster was speaking in the here and now, not some time in the future. Read through the never-ending dress code threads and you'll frequently come across someone who suggests that those who comply go somewhere else. As far as I'm concerned, that's a case of the inmates running the asylum!

I must say, being fairly new to the boards, that dress codes seem to be the most contentious topic out there. X cruisers, however, don't sink to the level of rudeness and personal attacks I've read on some of the other lines boards. Glad I've chosen X for our first cruise! It really is OK to agree to disagree, then move on with life. That's the kind of folks I want to sail away with.

This is one of the reasons I avoid formal. What if what "I" think is formal is not formal enough for someone else at the table, in the room, etc.....For instance, as a woman, what if I decided to wear a tux?

If a woman decided to wear a tux....at least it would be considered "formal"! JMHO

Karyn

This is one of the reasons I avoid formal. What if what "I" think is formal is not formal enough for someone else at the table, in the room, etc.....For instance, as a woman, what if I decided to wear a tux?

Tuxes for women are very acceptable! You can get some very nice looking outfits and they would be very appropriate on Celebrity or for any other formal occasion.

And I am fortunate that Mr Wolf is one of those men who loves to wear the tux - of course he walks around annoying me all night by saying, Bond, James Bond.

LOL...That was the very first thing I said to my wife when I tried my tux on at the store. :p

Okay, tuxes for women are fine; I think we can all agree on that.

But please, no :eek: beaded gowns :eek: for the men!!!

Hey! Why not? What goose for the girl is good for the gander, right!:D

(Hey, be greatful that I don't have the legs for it!:p )

Andrew

For instance, as a woman, what if I decided to wear a tux?

My wife has a black velvet tuxedo with black satin lapels and the stripe down the leg of the pants, and she looks absolutely stunning in it. She usually has her done in some kind of French twist that night. I'm telling her she needs to get a cool retro hat of some kind, but she's hesitant about that.

Whenever she wears it she's constantly being stopped by other passengers and by cruise staff members who want to tell her how great it looks and how cool they think it is.

I look pretty spiffy in her little black cocktail dress, too.

Allen

Oh Good Lord here we go again - the damn dress code!

I I am sorry if anyone is offended by what we are wearing - or not wearing - but who are they to judge.

They are the people who paid their money and were told to expect a certain amount of refinement during formal nights, and are being cheated out of that experience by the rude, selfish and inconsiderate "me, me, me" boors. They have every right in the world to judge you.

My breeding and cultural orientation (?) demand that I take care of what bothers me myself rather than expecting others to do so. The classy part is that I always do it with a sense of humor.

Alison

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that when you were that rude and boorish to people you did it in such a way that they laughed and chuckled and found you to be an amusing bon vivant. :rolleyes:

Note: BB5953 has posted probably a hundred times claiming that the people who rudely disregard the dress code are merely brilliant prognosticators who have foretold the future and are in the avant garde of those who will make sure the future comes early.

He and others of his ilk are convinced that if their 2 per cent scream loudly enough and often enough, that they can bulldoze the other 98 per cent of us into submission.

Kudos to Webecruising. We initially choose Celebrity, and continue to sail with them, because of the expectation of a formal atmosphere on 2 of 7 evenings (or 3 of 14). Our current work environments are casual but even if they were not, we would not find it a "burden" to dress formally on occassion. That's why we choose to sail with Celebrity.

I am fortunate that Mr Wolf is one of those men who loves to wear the tux - of course he walks around annoying me all night by saying, Bond, James Bond.

You can only be Bond, James Bond in a white dinner jacket. Just ask my wife.:)

Archived