Is Carnival Required to tell you

smellywax

2 hours ago, karma459 said:

One of our customers is a US based insurance provider. We do not handle patient information in any way, however we are bound by HIPPA laws and as such, we must all take mandatory, annual compliance training and certification. Basically any entity that can be defined as a "third party" that in anyway interacts with another party that directly or indirectly has access to protected identifying or medical information is bound to HIPPA policies and guidelines.

Exactly this - but this makes your company liable for the information in that information system, which is why you have that training. That info is still there, whether you have access to it or not in the info system is irrelevant - it is still there, all connected, right?

Either way, CCL in their contact tracing will connect people together who have had that 15 minute+ close contact, and tell the next person they have to isolate and test. No need to tell who they were in contact with - the plan is that they are already in isolation and have been interviewed.

Is it Princess that has the medallion instead of an SS card? Their computer system call pull up those close contact - all traced automatically, just have to pull up the right database search. That medallion tracks and records everyone's path throughout the ship. No need for the interview to contact trace, assuming the system really does that... But on the other hand, without that system, they rely on people being honest about where they have been on board and who they have had contact with. With a ship full of strangers, I don't know how they would ever track this well - I know who in my party I have had contact with - and might recognize faces if there was a short enough time, and I wasn't drinking...much...LOL...

It does come down to your risk level tolerance. 95%+ vaccinated on board, testing in place (and available on board too), Better odds than many other places for sure. And for fomite risk being 1 out of 10,000 each instance you come in physical contact on a surface (think about the odds of the virus being on that specific surface on top of that at that specific moment), this risk is too small to imagine.

17 minutes ago, d-train said:

Exactly this - but this makes your company liable for the information in that information system, which is why you have that training. That info is still there, whether you have access to it or not in the info system is irrelevant - it is still there, all connected, right?

No- that's my point.. there is zero patient information in our software. We simply house the Business Contract between the Provider (doctors, hospitals, etc) and the insurance company, i.e: how they are going to do business with each other - their Master Agreement. It's a couple hundred pages long of "legalese" terms and conditions of doing business together.

So, I could get a list of all the doctors, hospitals, groups, pharmacies, etc. that are contracted to work with the insurer, but there is absolutely zero reference anywhere down to the patient or patient activity level...if I was smart and diabolical, I could get that information on publicly available websites as well (i.e. "find a provider" on any insurance website). Why is it protected? Heck if I know, but it is.

Point being - HIPPA covers all third parties, direct and indirect,  even if they do not have an access point or holding of patient information. It's a crazy, messy government infused set of rules, regulations and laws which makes it easier for organizations to just err on the side of caution and not share ANYTHING, even if it seems "harmless". 

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

It does apply to health care providers!

When health care insurance is involved.  For example, a school nurse who treats a child for free without an insurance claim, HIPAA does not apply.  Confidentiality and professionalism does apply.

5 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

HIPAA only applies when health insurance is involved

Interesting. Both of my boys were exposed at work early on. One worked in a restaurant one in retail. Both were told they were exposed but also told they (the company) were not allowed to say who it was. I admit I have very minimal understanding of HIPAA, but they were both told it would be a violation. 

41 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

Interesting. Both of my boys were exposed at work early on. One worked in a restaurant one in retail. Both were told they were exposed but also told they (the company) were not allowed to say who it was. I admit I have very minimal understanding of HIPAA, but they were both told it would be a violation. 

The vast majority of people don't understand  HIPAA (as demonstrated by the more common HIPPA).  It is most likely company policies of privacy to prevent personal attacks or harassment. However, if the involved employees received treatment under their health insurance, then HIPAA may apply.  

• Like 2

This discussion is fun to read, but let’s be clear on one thing as everyone who’s never read it (and clearly a few that have)… there is no such thing as HIPPA. 
At least take a moment and google it before describing what you know of the 
H ealth

I nsurance 

P ortability and

A ccountability 

A ct

90% of the law has nothing to do with this discussion. 
The most basic of all the discussion is this… Privacy safeguards afforded to individual health records apply to “Covered Entities” and “Employers” are specifically identified as NOT a covered entity.

Thus, there is no requirement for Carnival to maintain such. 
The on ship medical center, perhaps. 

Edited by Brkintx
  • Like 1

The HIPAA discussion is pointless. Carnival can and should inform employees and guests if they come in close contact with a known infected person. There is no need to identify the particular person. There is no real need to identify the exact circumstances of the contact.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

…Cabins are normally kept at a slightly positive pressure with regards to the passageways, so if the doors are left open, air flow is from the cabin out to the passageway, if you are concerned about viral transmission during cleaning.

Thanks! After reading this article I got to thinking about when doors are open during cleaning:“Closed-circuit camera footage, genetic testing and careful contact tracing show that the only conceivable way the virus could have passed from one room to another was in air that leaked out when both doors were briefly opened, the researchers said.” I guess in this season, we can’t always know for sure where the transmission occurred, but in a study like this one the results were quite interesting.

3 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Thanks! After reading this article I got to thinking about when doors are open during cleaning:“Closed-circuit camera footage, genetic testing and careful contact tracing show that the only conceivable way the virus could have passed from one room to another was in air that leaked out when both doors were briefly opened, the researchers said.” I guess in this season, we can’t always know for sure where the transmission occurred, but in a study like this one the results were quite interesting.

The main difference between a building and a ship is that you really can't exit a ship cabin in a fire like you can a building.  There isn't a firefighter outside to break your window, so you are stuck in your cabin if the fire is outside your door.  The positive pressure in the cabin keeps the smoke from entering the cabin from the passageway via the gaps around the door.

• Thanks 1