Experiences on current Caribbean cruises

Dgtrainer99

Hello. I arrived home on Saturday from the Britannia Christmas cruise.  We enjoyed this very much but it is hard to judge this particular trip against other more heavily loaded cruises.  We found the cruise to be very similar to our seacation in July regarding restrictions.  The main points:

Testing arrangements at Gatwick were handled well. We took the bus to the testing centre at opening time and were in fact the only one on it. Result was received within 15 minutes and we waited in the seating area for this before being released to check in at the airport in our own time.

Seating on the plane was being tracked and traced so despite it being two thirds empty we were required to stay in allocated seats. Masks were required for the entire flight.

On arrival at Barbados the normal direct to ship arrangements were in place, again masks required and sanitizers used before boarding the buses.  Check in at port as per normal except much quicker with passports shown through screens.

On boarding directed to your muster station immediately to check in.  Cards in envelope at cabin door, watch the safety video.

The app was in operation for reservations but with so few onboard not really necessary to use it.  We had already booked excursions, speciality dining etc from home. We did use it to cancel a reservation for the Limelight Club as P&O had gifted us our trips there. Worked well.

Masks were worn throughout the ship when moving around. Sitting in bars etc they could be removed.  There was no mask requirements on the outside decks, in the spa or gym.

All facilities in the spa were available including the thermal suite and sauna. It was bootable in 2 hour slots at £25 per session. My husband used it on our 4 sea days and there was a buy three get a fourth free offer.  He thought it good value.  We both had spa treatments and received a 30% discount on numbers 4 onwards.  We also had access to the thermal suite for an hour as a freebie for 3 of these (I used these as my OH had purchased his package).

On the 3rd evening we were informed only one dining room would be open on the 6th floor as there were insufficient passengers to keep two open.  This actually created a nicer atmosphere and was no bother to us.

The food was good but noticeably a reduced menu in the dining room, there were however three vegetarian options every night.  We used the buffet for dinner a couple of evenings and this was noticeably less choice than even in July.  We had our Christmas dinner in the Epicurean which was outstanding.  We also ate there on two other occasions and the food and service were excellent.  The Glasshouse had its normal menu when we lunched there.

The theatre entertainment was the normal Headliners shows which we did not go to on this occasion as we had seen them all in July and last January.  We did go to the special Christmas Eve and Christmas afternoon shows and they were excellent as were the Carol's in the Atrium on Christmas Eve.

There was a party on deck for Santa's arrival and we were encouraged to sing and dance - something not done on a ship for a very long time by us.

The events around the pool were the same as in non Covid days with quizzes and build a ship on a ship being favourite with the guests. The charity crew cycle challenge was also well supported.

Going ashore:  only one island St Vincent required a test to go ashore. These were done in the restaurant the afternoon before arrival.  There was one positive test as a result of this, a solo lady passenger.  Unfortunately she and 6 close contacts were put into quarantine, all in balcony cabins with her on a separate deck to the others.  After 7 days the 6 close contacts were released to carry on their cruise, the first port after release being Antigua.

Grenada required a ship's excursion or a licensed taxi tour, the latter being available in the arrivals area.

The rules for St Kitts changed while we were onboard and you were able to go ashore there without a tour. All other ports also allowed independent exploration.  We had temperatures checked in most of them and Grenada and St Maarten asked to see vaccination certificates, with the former checking passports as well.

Day before Barbados arrival antigen test required which was again carried out in the restaurant on deck 5.  Well organised and very quick. Cost was £18.00pp added to your account. Results delivered in certificate form to your room that evening.

Overall we found the experience relaxing and had a great time.  Our only problem was last minute cancelled excursions. Unlike most people we do like to do excursions from P&O and have particular favourites in the islands such as the turtle swim in Barbados.  It was a little annoying to get a large number of cancellation letters on one day - 5 to be exact.  However the tour staff quickly helped book replacement trips and we actually did tours we had never done or considered and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I felt totally safe on this trip and all passengers obeyed the rules.  We did not see overloaded lifts or other rules being broken.

Based on our experience we would definitely do the Caribbean fly cruise on Britannia again this year, and indeed are looking at one at the end of February as our ski holiday just got cancelled again!

Hope this helps but if you have specific questions I might be able to help with please let me know.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Interesting post Megabear, many thanks. It looks like passengers  on Marella Discovery haven't fared so well. Ship is currently confined to Barbados with a significant outbreak of Covid.

Infected passengers in isolation and may be transferred to quarantine in hotels. Those not infected still have freedom to leave ship apparently.

TUI offering compensation.

We are due to join Azura early February fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello. I arrived home on Saturday from the Britannia Christmas cruise.  We enjoyed this very much but it is hard to judge this particular trip against other more heavily loaded cruises.  We found the cruise to be very similar to our seacation in July regarding restrictions.  The main points:

Testing arrangements at Gatwick were handled well. We took the bus to the testing centre at opening time and were in fact the only one on it. Result was received within 15 minutes and we waited in the seating area for this before being released to check in at the airport in our own time.

Seating on the plane was being tracked and traced so despite it being two thirds empty we were required to stay in allocated seats. Masks were required for the entire flight.

On arrival at Barbados the normal direct to ship arrangements were in place, again masks required and sanitizers used before boarding the buses.  Check in at port as per normal except much quicker with passports shown through screens.

On boarding directed to your muster station immediately to check in.  Cards in envelope at cabin door, watch the safety video.

The app was in operation for reservations but with so few onboard not really necessary to use it.  We had already booked excursions, speciality dining etc from home. We did use it to cancel a reservation for the Limelight Club as P&O had gifted us our trips there. Worked well.

Masks were worn throughout the ship when moving around. Sitting in bars etc they could be removed.  There was no mask requirements on the outside decks, in the spa or gym.

All facilities in the spa were available including the thermal suite and sauna. It was bootable in 2 hour slots at £25 per session. My husband used it on our 4 sea days and there was a buy three get a fourth free offer.  He thought it good value.  We both had spa treatments and received a 30% discount on numbers 4 onwards.  We also had access to the thermal suite for an hour as a freebie for 3 of these (I used these as my OH had purchased his package).

On the 3rd evening we were informed only one dining room would be open on the 6th floor as there were insufficient passengers to keep two open.  This actually created a nicer atmosphere and was no bother to us.

The food was good but noticeably a reduced menu in the dining room, there were however three vegetarian options every night.  We used the buffet for dinner a couple of evenings and this was noticeably less choice than even in July.  We had our Christmas dinner in the Epicurean which was outstanding.  We also ate there on two other occasions and the food and service were excellent.  The Glasshouse had its normal menu when we lunched there.

The theatre entertainment was the normal Headliners shows which we did not go to on this occasion as we had seen them all in July and last January.  We did go to the special Christmas Eve and Christmas afternoon shows and they were excellent as were the Carol's in the Atrium on Christmas Eve.

There was a party on deck for Santa's arrival and we were encouraged to sing and dance - something not done on a ship for a very long time by us.

The events around the pool were the same as in non Covid days with quizzes and build a ship on a ship being favourite with the guests. The charity crew cycle challenge was also well supported.

Going ashore:  only one island St Vincent required a test to go ashore. These were done in the restaurant the afternoon before arrival.  There was one positive test as a result of this, a solo lady passenger.  Unfortunately she and 6 close contacts were put into quarantine, all in balcony cabins with her on a separate deck to the others.  After 7 days the 6 close contacts were released to carry on their cruise, the first port after release being Antigua.

Grenada required a ship's excursion or a licensed taxi tour, the latter being available in the arrivals area.

The rules for St Kitts changed while we were onboard and you were able to go ashore there without a tour. All other ports also allowed independent exploration.  We had temperatures checked in most of them and Grenada and St Maarten asked to see vaccination certificates, with the former checking passports as well.

Day before Barbados arrival antigen test required which was again carried out in the restaurant on deck 5.  Well organised and very quick. Cost was £18.00pp added to your account. Results delivered in certificate form to your room that evening.

Overall we found the experience relaxing and had a great time.  Our only problem was last minute cancelled excursions. Unlike most people we do like to do excursions from P&O and have particular favourites in the islands such as the turtle swim in Barbados.  It was a little annoying to get a large number of cancellation letters on one day - 5 to be exact.  However the tour staff quickly helped book replacement trips and we actually did tours we had never done or considered and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I felt totally safe on this trip and all passengers obeyed the rules.  We did not see overloaded lifts or other rules being broken.

Based on our experience we would definitely do the Caribbean fly cruise on Britannia again this year, and indeed are looking at one at the end of February as our ski holiday just got cancelled again!

Hope this helps but if you have specific questions I might be able to help with please let me know.

A really good descriptive post thank you.

Thanks, for this - very useful. We are flying out on Friday (Covid permitting!) to join Azura for 2 weeks. Just had a cancellation notice for a trip - Paradise Harley on St Maarten - which is annoying, but first world problems. Hopefully the ship can remain covid free & we can enjoy the sunshine & the islands.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks for the comprehensive description, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Really interesting to compare notes when we was on in October only one restaurant not being used, testing was done in that one.

The islands we  being the first ones to visit the rules changed daily, but we was kept well informed, the menus had less choice but the food was good, as for the flight back was ok but Barbados airport was bit rundown

Just now, Bazrat said:

Really interesting to compare notes when we was on in October only one restaurant not being used, testing was done in that one.

The islands we  being the first ones to visit the rules changed daily, but we was kept well informed, the menus had less choice but the food was good, as for the flight back was ok but Barbados airport was bit rundown

I always think Barbados as an entire island is surprisingly  rundown 

Apart from the luxury resorts and millionaire houses of course

But they are few and far between what otherwise doesn't strike you as a paradise island as you drive around it

43 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I always think Barbados as an entire island is surprisingly  rundown 

Apart from the luxury resorts and millionaire houses of course

But they are few and far between what otherwise doesn't strike you as a paradise island as you drive around it

We did the get me to the beach as quickly as possible, after that hung around the port bit of a walk into town so didn't bother

25 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We did the get me to the beach as quickly as possible, after that hung around the port bit of a walk into town so didn't bother

We have spent many happy holidays in Barbados. It is a beautiful country. The per capita income is around 14k us dollars, so the folk don't have much in terms of wealth. Not much in relation to their wealthy visitors. They love and are proud of their island and do their best to show us respect. They make visitors welcome. Some may consider it run down, some of us respect the welcome they show us. I hope they continue with their warm and friendly welcome. When we visit Caribbean nation's we don't expect Belgravia. A little piece of paradise as far as this sanctimonious tourist is concerned 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have spent many happy holidays in Barbados. It is a beautiful country. The per capita income is around 14k us dollars, so the folk don't have much in terms of wealth. Not much in relation to their wealthy visitors. They love and are proud of their island and do their best to show us respect. They make visitors welcome. Some may consider it run down, some of us respect the welcome they show us. I hope they continue with their warm and friendly welcome. When we visit Caribbean nation's we don't expect Belgravia. A little piece of paradise as far as this sanctimonious tourist is concerned 

Completely agree. We love Barbados, some of the loveliest people we've met whilst travelling. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I agree with your sentiments the people we came across we're excellent, but we paid for the extra day so decided to completely chill out on the beach, we will be returning next year on our next TA so might give the island a proper look over

12 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I agree with your sentiments the people we came across we're excellent, but we paid for the extra day so decided to completely chill out on the beach, we will be returning next year on our next TA so might give the island a proper look over

Many tourists stick to the west coast, understandably. If you have more time, the South Coast is worth a look, Maxwell, Oistins etc. Bathsheba on the east is a bit wild, but beautiful. In the middle is worth a look as well, there is a rum shack called ' Nigel Ben's aunties rum shack'. We stopped at a local shop for some water and got a lecture on the purity of the tap water. Next time we will have a look for the 'Run down' area. We haven't found that yet after about a dozen visits.

Edited by zap99

They were actually a variety!  Three on a shared dinner table, two on an excursion bus and one in a bar.

Passengers may not be aware but they are being tracked and traced quite a lot in public areas, not on deck although I had a feeling my deck waiter was watching very carefully who was sitting with who.

• Like 1

We've been to Barbados many times. Visited most of it including the bits Zap recommends

I stick by what I said

It looks rundown apart from the expensive resorts and the expensive houses simple as that 

Looking rundown however has absolutely nothing to do with the great experiences and great people, welcome and food you can get there. And yes Oistins is a great experience

And one of our best ever lunches in Barbados was in a Shack next to the road that without local advice you would never consider even looking inside let alone eating in

Alongside fabulous weather and some great beaches it's still a great island.

But in reality 90 per cent of it doesn't look like it does on the postcards and looks rundown 

Being brutally honest

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Our Jamaican experience was dreadful.  Constantly being pressured to buy drugs or cake/ice cream with drugs. I was also harrassed constantly by men wanting me to sample their bamboo which they assured me was bigger and better than anything I'd ever seen!

Two people in our hotel went to a festival and were robbed and had to be rescued by a local family. They had nothing so the two guys bought them some groceries which resulted in the father of the house turning up at our hotel with his eldest daughter in the hope they would take her back to the UK.  It didn't go well with older man's wife ...

We caught a flight to Manchester after 6 days just to get out.

33 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Our Jamaican experience was dreadful.  Constantly being pressured to buy drugs or cake/ice cream with drugs. I was also harrassed constantly by men wanting me to sample their bamboo which they assured me was bigger and better than anything I'd ever seen!

Two people in our hotel went to a festival and were robbed and had to be rescued by a local family. They had nothing so the two guys bought them some groceries which resulted in the father of the house turning up at our hotel with his eldest daughter in the hope they would take her back to the UK.  It didn't go well with older man's wife ...

We caught a flight to Manchester after 6 days just to get out.

Place we stay in Jamaica is way off the beaten track but safe and amazing

3.5 hrs drive plus from either airport though

Worth the drive and one of the reasons it's safe

Its very laid back. It's all beach shacks and rum punch etc

It's where celebrities in the know go to escape the real world

But very low key and not expensive 

Place is called Treasure Beach

A real hidden gem

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/nov/04/treasure-beach-jamaica-jakes-hotel-villas-decca-aitkenhead

• Thanks 1

From Treasure Beach you can take a 15 minute boat ride to where I guarantee is the coolest bar in the whole world

It's 1 mile out to sea on stilts

You simply can't find anywhere more laid back than this bar to spend an afternoon

Take a look at this place!

My father is/was Jamaican and we visited the island many times, unfortunately as the years rolled on the atmosphere got worse, last time we was staying in the sandal's resort alas the security guards on the beach put us off.

thanks for comments re covid arrangements...definately reassuring.

Due on Britannia on 14th Jan...couple of questions if I can...

Soft drinks/water - can we take on board either at beginning or following port stops?

Barbados...have an overnight and next day stop...are we covered by pcr/lft taken to get into Barbados or do we need to take more....also any must do's whilst there?  many thanks