Tremont House Galveston

kelkel2

Can anyone provide me any reviews for the Tremont House Hotel in Galveston? 
I know it’s close to the terminal, is it walkable? I like to stay at unique places when we travel, but we’ll have our kiddos with us, but we’re only planning on a 1 night stay before a cruise. Is this hotel family friendly? Anything to do around there such as somewhere we can eat or walk to? 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:59 PM, ssb said:

Tremont is very nice hotel . Hotel is family friendly. Lots to do around there . One block from Old Town Strand and for kids . Easy walking area .  We live in galveston . 

Since you live there, the boardwalk with a carnival… is it open every night or just weekends? We will be going for a spring break cruise at the end of March. 

41 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Since you live there, the boardwalk with a carnival… is it open every night or just weekends? We will be going for a spring break cruise at the end of March. 

Everything will be open during spring break. There is a concrete walkway along Gulf and is  the longest Seawall walkway in US.   There is a Pleasure Pier (Carnival) over Gulf , and there is a Pier 21 area with attractions on Port.  There is also the tourist destinations around Old Town Strand area and Port area.  There is a large Moody Gardens complex along with a Schlitterbahn Water Park .  There are  also the beach front tourist destinations along the Gulf of Mexico. Have fun ! 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

Is this hotel in walking distance of the port?  We are looking at Harbor Hotel, as we want this to be a bit of a treat for us.  We will only be there overnight, so being near a good place to eat and being able to have some nice scenery is ideal.  

Then we have to figure out how to get from the airport to the hotel.  My preference is a shuttle or limo service, only because I'm not an Uber fan.

13 hours ago, ssb said:

Harbor House and Tremont are only hotels down town and both excellent and walking distance to terminals . Tremont has in house amenities. And HH none . But there is lots to do around  both . 

Thank you for comparing the two. HH seems a little further away from things, but I'm going off a map. Is that true?

Further away is relative . The total area downtown is not large , and distances between blocks is short . I will say it is still in the middle of things for HH is at Pier 21. The entrance to both Terminals is at 23rd two short blocks away ! Old Town Strand is 19th to 25th streets . Post Office street is two to three blocks away from both. HH has own parking on site . And HH and Tremont has many venues around them both for eating and tourists attractions . Remember coming in early allows you at HH to "Watch" from your room arrivals and departing of cruise ships and all traffic on the Galveston Port channel. Tremont is a like a European style hotel , and with restaurant and good bars on Rooftop and Downstairs  and great sitting areas. Parking lots for Tremont is just couple block and two away in their own private secure lots .   

I consider both are downtown and excellent hotels .

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ssb said:

Further away is relative . The total area downtown is not large , and distances between blocks is short . I will say it is still in the middle of things for HH is at Pier 21. The entrance to both Terminals is at 23rd two short blocks away ! Old Town Strand is 19th to 25th streets . Post Office street is two to three blocks away from both. HH has own parking on site . And HH and Tremont has many venues around them both for eating and tourists attractions . Remember coming in early allows you at HH to "Watch" from your room arrivals and departing of cruise ships and all traffic on the Galveston Port channel. Tremont is a like a European style hotel , and with restaurant and good bars on Rooftop and Downstairs  and great sitting areas. Parking lots for Tremont is just couple block and two away in their own private secure lots .   

Thank you for your excellent insight!

20 hours ago, ssb said:

Thank you! Can you view the ships arriving from Tremont house as well? Or is it a better view from HH? 
I thought of a couple more questions… we’re traveling with our 5 yr old twins. Is there breakfast available at the HH? Even continental is fine. Or is there somewhere that’s super close to get a bite to eat for breakfast? 

Edited by kelkel2

7 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Thank you! Can you view the ships arriving from Tremont house as well? Or is it a better view from HH? 
I thought of a couple more questions… we’re traveling with our 5 yr old twins. Is there breakfast available at the HH? Even continental is fine. Or is there somewhere that’s super close to get a bite to eat for breakfast? 

A partial limited view may be available from Tremont Roof Top  Bar but “only” if the access door and or Elevator door is opened . 

The HH for twins with Ships right in their face would be phenomenal and guaranteed to happen . 

You can just also walk from Tremont to port two blocks away and watch ships come and go . 

Some type of Breakfast is available across street at a small deli type place and a Starbucks . There are others downtown . Only short blocks away Star Drugs , American Cafe , Tremont Hotel , Sunflower other Mexican restaurants. Check HH for Continental? Many others around city . 

Edited by ssb

2 hours ago, ssb said:

A partial limited view may be available from Tremont Roof Top  Bar but “only” if the access door and or Elevator door is opened . 

The HH for twins with Ships right in their face would be phenomenal and guaranteed to happen . 

You can just also walk from Tremont to port two blocks away and watch ships come and go . 

Some type of Breakfast is available across street at a small deli type place and a Starbucks . There are others downtown . Only short blocks away Star Drugs , American Cafe , Tremont Hotel , Sunflower other Mexican restaurants. Check HH for Continental? Many others around city . 

Thank you, Starbucks is all I needed to

hear! The HH sounds perfect! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

... Can you view the ships arriving...

Before your cruise you might want to check out the GALVESTON.COM cruise video cam on turnaround days with the twins. It is located on the Harbor House roof. Arrival times are usually earlier than the posted disembark start times & can be in the dark. I suggest you start watching about 30 minutes before your ship's posted departure time. There have been many times when the cruise ships leave a little earlier than their posted times.

While docked, Terminal 1 (Carnival ships) is the closest to the camera with Terminal 2 (RCI ships) further down. If there are two ships docked the closer one blocks the view of the second one. Once out of port, you can continue to watch departing ships from the Emerald video cam for a bit.

When the ships depart, the camera operators do a good job of close-up panning the decks. When on your cruise be sure to wave at the camera! 🙋‍♀️ 🙋‍♂️

You won't be able to see them but hopefully you will have our frisky dolphins "playing" around the bow of your ship when you sail. 🐬 🐬 🐬 🐬 By watching the webcam before your cruise, the cam ops do try to catch them on camera when they are in front of other moving vessels going past the Harbor House.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited to add:

Here is the list of all the cams on the website.

image.png.5a644e03b7be2720cde1d5fa1d4bd911.png

Edited by Host Kat
Additional information.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Before your cruise you might want to check out the GALVESTON.COM cruise video cam on turnaround days with the twins. It is located on the Harbor House roof. Arrival times are usually earlier than the posted disembark start times & can be in the dark. I suggest you start watching about 30 minutes before your ship's posted departure time. There have been many times when the cruise ships leave a little earlier than their posted times.

While docked, Terminal 1 (Carnival ships) is the closest to the camera with Terminal 2 (RCI ships) further down. If there are two ships docked the closer one blocks the view of the second one. Once out of port, you can continue to watch departing ships from the Emerald video cam for a bit.

When the ships depart, the camera operators do a good job of close-up panning the decks. When on your cruise be sure to wave at the camera! 🙋‍♀️ 🙋‍♂️

You won't be able to see them but hopefully you will have our frisky dolphins "playing" around the bow of your ship when you sail. 🐬 🐬 🐬 🐬 By watching the webcam before your cruise, the cam ops do try to catch them on camera when they are in front of other moving vessels going past the Harbor House.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited to add:

Here is the list of all the cams on the website.

image.png.5a644e03b7be2720cde1d5fa1d4bd911.png

Thank you! I had no idea the cam was on HH’s roof!

We’ve only been to Galveston once before and it was before I discovered CC and I really just wish we had gotten some of these suggestions before! 
We do watch the cams frequently. My son especially likes watching the “big boats!” 

• Thanks 1