1st time to Alaska..wondering what to bring for clothes...

Mainiac85

For whale watching excursions:

• If you don't plan on being outside on the boat deck to see the whales, pack what you would if sitting in the cab of a pickup truck. 
  • If you will be on deck to spot/photograph whales, pack what you would wear if standing in the back of a pickup truck driving 25 MPH in a cold rain. 
  • If you don't have a water-resistant camera, a poncho would be a good addition to cover your camera between shots. 

On every excursion, have a small backpack to store rain gear until/after it is needed, snack bars, water bottle, binoculars, spare camera batteries/lenses, souvenirs, small umbrella, dry socks, removed clothing layers, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mainiac85 said:

I'm use to the cold Maine winter's so not to worried about the cold.

But are rain pants really necessary? 

We are very used to the cold weather and found jeans to be just fine.

I would recommend layering clothing.   I bought a fleece lined jacket on our first alaska trip and it was too warm for me.  I found i like a water proof windbreaker with layers works best for me.  I take a day pack to carry the layers I shed throughout the day.   I also take a ball cap it comes in handy in the rain.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it, so forgive me if someone else has already added this, but I also pack a couple of light-to-medium weight scarves to wrap around my neck for warmth (and to finish my look).  I agree that jeans will be all that you need in the way of pants, along with layers for your top half - long sleeved tees & lightweight sweaters, a puffy vest and a waterproof jacket with a hood.  A beanie and/or a baseball cap are also a must, and I took & wore some Sperry waterproof boots, which were great in Juneau & Ketchikan where it's usually raining, along with my sneakers.  We were on NCL where you can "dress up or not," but I brought a maxi dress & gold sandals for "formal night" & we had our photo taken, and I was perfectly warm onboard the ship if you want to do something similar.  I also brought some black Chico's Travelers pants & a couple of nice tops to wear to some of the restaurants with a pair of black Rothy's points & I didn't feel underdressed.  Otherwise, dress is indeed casual. @Crew Newshas given you some great tips about what you'll need on excursions/in port, but I had a large Travelon cross-body rather than a backpack. & it worked out well. With all of these wonderful tips from our fellow CC members, I know that you'll be comfortable, look great, and have a fabulous time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikiPinkston said:

Maybe I missed it, so forgive me if someone else has already added this, but I also pack a couple of light-to-medium weight scarves to wrap around my neck for warmth (and to finish my look).  I agree that jeans will be all that you need in the way of pants, along with layers for your top half - long sleeved tees & lightweight sweaters, a puffy vest and a waterproof jacket with a hood.  A beanie and/or a baseball cap are also a must, and I took & wore some Sperry waterproof boots, which were great in Juneau & Ketchikan where it's usually raining, along with my sneakers.  We were on NCL where you can "dress up or not," but I brought a maxi dress & gold sandals for "formal night" & we had our photo taken, and I was perfectly warm onboard the ship if you want to do something similar.  I also brought some black Chico's Travelers pants & a couple of nice tops to wear to some of the restaurants with a pair of black Rothy's points & I didn't feel underdressed.  Otherwise, dress is indeed casual. @Crew Newshas given you some great tips about what you'll need on excursions/in port, but I had a large Travelon cross-body rather than a backpack. & it worked out well. With all of these wonderful tips from our fellow CC members, I know that you'll be comfortable, look great, and have a fabulous time!

Thank you so much!! 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:03 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Only if you already own them.  Ketchikan can be very rainy.  Also, a fleece vest is highly recommended, and a fleece jacket would be helpful (plus, you live in Maine so you would be wearing these items throughout the year anyway).  I did see on someone's packing list a sweatshirt.  I would not bring a sweatshirt.  If that got wet, it would take forever to dry.  Fleece is a better option.

I always bring a sweatshirt to wear over my turtleneck shirt and under my hooded rain jacket. It’s never gotten wet.  

I also wear earmuffs to keep my head warm.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You have very helpful postings. We have cruised Alaska 4 times. Personally, I really do not think Alaska is more casual than other itineraries. People were just as casual on our Celebrity Mediterranean cruise as Alaska.

The main difference is that we bring more "winter" clothing and layers. We bring our water repellent Land's End jackets which are hip length, vests, a warmer jacket, sweaters & sweatshirts, jeans, leggings, hat, gloves and a travel umbrella.

OTOH- my sweet BIL (from Southern California) swore he was only bringing and wearing bermudas... which he did. But he did bring a pair of jeans too.

I live in flip flops and those are my main shoes on the ship unless it is glacier day or we are going on a tour.

• Like 1