Just off the Getaway- wanted to share a few thoughts

CaribbeanJen

My only complaint is how they handled disembarking.  We were in the last group of luggage tags and we took our time.  We arrived downstairs to a line that was SOOOOOO long and it wasn't moving.  We were all crammed together with no ventilation and expected to stand in that line for over an hour!!  It was the only time I felt unsafe because social distancing was IMPOSSIBLE. Since the next cruise was cancelled they should have had us wait in our cabins and only called for us after each group had cleared.  To me it felt like NCL was saying "You're getting off the ship. If you catch Covid now it won't be our problem.

We left the Getaway December 22.  Same thing with the line to disembark.  Apparently the voice dismissing groups is no where near the line itself and essentially lets everyone off at once.  Total chaos.  Stood in line for over an hour and we were the last group, so had waited in order to not have to deal with lines.  Once outside the building, the line was still there as there were no buses for the shuttle to the airport.  New passengers walked through exiting ones.  I wish someone from NCL would travel on another line and see how it is done.

On 1/9/2022 at 4:54 PM, GoldenGirl327 said:

Hi! We are going on the Breakaway 1/23. Curious about checking bags at the pier vs bringing them with us. I don’t anticipate testing positive (have appointments set up in NOLA for pre-travel) but I’m that neurotic “what if” person. Did you see a lot of ppl bringing their own bags to get covid testing at the pier? 

Also how was the entertainment?

thanks!!

Almost everyone checked their bags prior to screening. The line is pretty long by 11am and snakes around a hotel. We only had backpacks, and that was plenty.

One of our shows was cancelled: Six. Others in my party saw and really enjoyed “Burn the Floor” (my afternoon nap ran long). We also saw both comedians. Both were enjoyable, but Quinn’s adult show was certainly funnier. 

On 1/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, cruising sister said:

Agree I do not like Miami airport. I am seriously considering getting a hotel and flying out the next morning to avoid the crowds and nothing to do. 

thats what we always do, especially in cities where there are multiple ships disgorging passengers to the airport. lol  a lot less stressful

On 1/11/2022 at 8:25 AM, vacation44 said:

We also always fly into Fort Lauderdale and take a car service to Miami.  Thank you for the Brightline information as I have never heard of them.

brightline  also has a ridesharing feature that you can book when you purchase the train tickets.

hop off the train, a car is waiting to bring you to the terminal. 

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/brightline-launches-brightline-ride-share-program/2592483/

Edited by MSUjohn

I am curious about your comment that "you won an upgrade to a Mini Suite with a large Balcony".  Was this upgrade given to you at no extra cost?  I have have received invitations to bid on upgrades but there is usually a starting minimum that you can bid on.  It can be anywhere from $50 pp to $500 pp or more depending on the level you are bidding on. I really don't consider these anything to win since they are only offered because the ships are sailing at a low capacity and they are trying to get people to pay for upgrades.  If you meant that you won your bid, then I can understand what you mean.  

16 hours ago, jmk22 said:

I am curious about your comment that "you won an upgrade to a Mini Suite with a large Balcony".  Was this upgrade given to you at no extra cost?  I have have received invitations to bid on upgrades but there is usually a starting minimum that you can bid on.  It can be anywhere from $50 pp to $500 pp or more depending on the level you are bidding on. I really don't consider these anything to win since they are only offered because the ships are sailing at a low capacity and they are trying to get people to pay for upgrades.  If you meant that you won your bid, then I can understand what you mean.  

Yes- I was referring to the bidding process.  We had bids on 8 different rooms and in the end we "won" an upgrade from a balcony to a Club Suite with a large balcony.  We paid $300 and it was well worth it.  However, due to a problem with the room we ended up with an AFT balcony which we loved.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

OP since you were aft i was wondering if you had any soot or vibration issues. when i was doing research on aft a while ago i remember some comments but i cannot remember which ship

The vibration issues have been talked about on the Joy.  

On 1/16/2022 at 10:14 PM, shof515 said:

What was the shows in the theater?

im' curious about this as well. just was on the BA and curious if it's the same shows or not

also did they have mini golf on getaway. took it off BA..guess cause covid..sigh. 

On 1/11/2022 at 8:25 AM, vacation44 said:

We also always fly into Fort Lauderdale and take a car service to Miami.  Thank you for the Brightline information as I have never heard of them.

ok, so i tried the brightline train service from Fort Lauderdale to miami.

it was GREAT, the whole experience!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 4:04 PM, NJGeorge said:

We love aft facing balcony cabins. They are always sell out first and cost more too! You lucked out in my view.

I hope cruising returns to normal soon. Not willing to jump through the ever changing covid flaming hoops.

There are still some on some sailings and I am so tempted to book one!